Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons v St Js

No goals in 4 games and no goals from open play in 6. Failure to address the lack of creation in the middle of the park in the January window was criminal.

Should have been our number one priority. Seriously going to come bite us in the arse for the rest of the season.

We are very poor at the moment with the players unsure of what they are supposed to be doing on the pitch as our tactics are so baffling. Also Gallagher should never be a first pick and Cosgrove would benefit from a spell out of the team as he is playing like a player in the huff about something.

I honestly don't think we are a bad team it's just that we appear so focused on not losing that we forget what we are on the pitch to do.

If DM was in any doubt that the fans are not onside then he must have hit home tonight.

Seven years is a very good innings for a manager to be at one club and it is clear that his time is clearly up.

Not wasting my hard earned on the cup game, can think of other things I can do with the cost of the tickets.

How many times did Devlin try to ping it 40yds, only to give it away. What the fuck are the two holding midfielders doing?'apart from passing back to joe from halfway?

Hard to blame the attackers because hey are effectively asked to pluck the ball out of the sky. That said , when we had a chance to deliver the quality was crap.

Aye, that was pish, but at least it was freezing too. Shocking first half, perhaps the worst I've seen under McInnes. Gallagher atrocious and shouldn't have been playing. McGeouch was awful, kept running 3 metres from Ferguson rather than stretching the game. Ferguson did the reverse in the second. Basic defending error from Taylor. McKenna out of position, so Taylor comes tanking out leaving a giant hole. Devlin came on and produced the worst distribution at pittodrie since ifil. Hedges fucking gash and Cosgrove way off form but impossible to sub. Kennedy and considine the only two getting pass marks. Hernandez was gash. Utterly clueless in the first, marginally better in the second. We really can't afford to fuck about with him ahead of Logan in the cup on Saturday, not the time for experimenting with a guy who can't defend. Give him some time to settle and get him back in in a couple of weeks. I'm getting in early with a Brian O'Neill prediction on this one.

Just back - Oh dear. When I saw the line up I thought this could actually could do some damage if it got going.But it never did. The early Saints goal,and the way they closed down our options thereafter,you knew it was going to be a long night.And to be fair,we had a different than usual line up,that didnt seem too familiar with each other,allied to the fact,I was a bit surprised at how the crowd seemed to be keener than usual to get on the players backs.

But thats looking at one side of the argument.This side seem to have had their attacking instincts dumbed out of them.I'm not even sure how much difference the creative attacking player mentioned above would have made.Kennedy looked a shadow of what weve seen him do for St Js.

And it cant be that hard to work on our movement in training,or to work on different methods of attack.So predictable.Even someone encouraged to just run at a defence now and again

Still think the new guys need time to settle in,but come on,were better than tonight

I have a 33% brain injury from birth and this current predicament is actually making me ill.  We aren't even entertaining while getting beat either.  I might not be so hard on team if one was losing say 3-2 or 4-3 but they honestly don't even look like scoring in a brothel.  We really shouldn't be getting beat by Motherwell and St.Johnstone scraping past Hamilton Academical, Livingston, St.Mirren at Home.  Thank God I've stopped coming up midweek last year or so.  Hate to think of how much I'd have wasted.  It shall cost me between £150-£200 to watch them at Pittodrie because of travel, accommodation, actual matchday expense.  Can't justify that commitment given how poor they've been.     

I felt we were just way to ponderous tonight. Everytime one of our players got the ball they wanted to take three or four touches before playing it. There was no flick ons or through balls being played. I think the players we have are actually decent but they need to move the ball a bit faster. At times it would just be encouraging to see the ball clipped into the box.

Disagree that Hernandes was gash rico, thought he looked composed and seemed to get up and down the wing well. However he wasn't really tested defensively so we will have to wait and see on that. Obviously I hope there is a little more to come but seeing as the Norwegian season runs from March to November I presume his fitness isnt 100% yet.

I do however agree with the comments regarding Gallacher. There is no doubt he has an engine but his touch is atrocious and Im not surprised we struggled with him behind Cosgrove.

As for Cosgrove himself there is no doubt hes gone off the boil a bit. Its hard to judge him because the service was so poor at times, but I would like to see him be a bit more aggressive in the opponents box. I dont think any of our team won a header in there tonight.

Aye, that was pish, but at least it was freezing too. Shocking first half, perhaps the worst I've seen under McInnes. Gallagher atrocious and shouldn't have been playing. McGeouch was awful, kept running 3 metres from Ferguson rather than stretching the game. Ferguson did the reverse in the second. Basic defending error from Taylor. McKenna out of position, so Taylor comes tanking out leaving a giant hole. Devlin came on and produced the worst distribution at pittodrie since ifil. Hedges fucking gash and Cosgrove way off form but impossible to sub. Kennedy and considine the only two getting pass marks. Hernandez was gash. Utterly clueless in the first, marginally better in the second. We really can't afford to fuck about with him ahead of Logan in the cup on Saturday, not the time for experimenting with a guy who can't defend. Give him some time to settle and get him back in in a couple of weeks. I'm getting in early with a Brian O'Neill prediction on this one.

Come on Rico you have seen Taylor’s aimless punts which were just as bad as anything Devlin produced.

Really thought we would have won comfortably tonight, and even more so when I saw the starting 11.

This is the first time that the discontent has been publicly put to the management ( After the St Mirren game ) and we responded by gaining a well deserved point at Ibrox, I just really thought we'd push on now, but Jesus fucking Christ, how wrong I was.

Hard to really single people out, because it was collectively, garbage. We insisted on passing between Devlin, McKenna & Ferguson, only to then hoof it up the Pitch.

Would drop Fergsuon in a heartbeat, he brings absolutely nothing to this team, he is pathetically slow, gives away idiotic fouls and he didn't lift his head and move forward tonight until the 80th Minute. Cosgrove could be doing with getting dropped as well, he's been atrocious since he's came back from the Ban he got, wrongly I might add, for that perfectly legitimate tackle against Ajer. But then we can't go with Anderson up front on his own and I would rather bring Mackie back than play Curtis Main, period.

We have no identity, we lack creativity, we lack braveness, we lack intent and we lack a competent Manager. We also lack some fight, the biggest problem I have. Apparently Cosgrove was having a go at the support as he walked towards the Tunnel, can anyone confirm? And you saw McGeouch's reaction when he was booed for passing it all the way back to Lewis, from the Halfway line, he shrugged his shoulders and put his arms out as if to say " What am I supposed to do " for a good few seconds  after it, clearly rattled.

We have a new Chairman & Training Ground, we have a possible new Stadium, we are debt free and have a relatively good wage budget, for me, we are an attractive opportunity to most managers and I would personally love Dave Cormack to show more ambition and part ways with McInnes, and attract someone here who has a strong mentality, indifference to Rangers & Celtic and is feared/respected ( In a good way ) who can fucking motivate Players. Thank McInnes for the League Cup, thank him for his efforts up until now, because he deserves some praise for working hard behind the scenes and making us a formidable team again, but he's in real danger of throwing that away and ending it sourly here.

Really thought we would have won comfortably tonight, and even more so when I saw the starting 11.

This is the first time that the discontent has been publicly put to the management ( After the St Mirren game ) and we responded by gaining a well deserved point at Ibrox, I just really thought we'd push on now, but Jesus fucking Christ, how wrong I was.

Hard to really single people out, because it was collectively, garbage. We insisted on passing between Devlin, McKenna & Ferguson, only to then hoof it up the Pitch.

Would drop Fergsuon in a heartbeat, he brings absolutely nothing to this team, he is pathetically slow, gives away idiotic fouls and he didn't lift his head and move forward tonight until the 80th Minute. Cosgrove could be doing with getting dropped as well, he's been atrocious since he's came back from the Ban he got, wrongly I might add, for that perfectly legitimate tackle against Ajer. But then we can't go with Anderson up front on his own and I would rather bring Mackie back than play Curtis Main, period.

We have no identity, we lack creativity, we lack braveness, we lack intent and we lack a competent Manager. We also lack some fight, the biggest problem I have. Apparently Cosgrove was having a go at the support as he walked towards the Tunnel, can anyone confirm? And you saw McGeouch's reaction when he was booed for passing it all the way back to Lewis, from the Halfway line, he shrugged his shoulders and put his arms out as if to say " What am I supposed to do " for a good few seconds  after it, clearly rattled.

We have a new Chairman & Training Ground, we have a possible new Stadium, we are debt free and have a relatively good wage budget, for me, we are an attractive opportunity to most managers and I would personally love Dave Cormack to show more ambition and part ways with McInnes, and attract someone here who has a strong mentality, indifference to Rangers & Celtic and is feared/respected ( In a good way ) who can fucking motivate Players. Thank McInnes for the League Cup, thank him for his efforts up until now, because he deserves some praise for working hard behind the scenes and making us a formidable team again, but he's in real danger of throwing that away and ending it sourly here.

I'd drop Cosgrove and go with Anderson, as it really couldn't be that much worse than what we are currently seeing. Yes Cosgrove is not helped by what is being created, but he just seems off the boil at the moment and by all accounts Main will not be played again bar injuries.

Ferguson also needs taken out of the firing line, but cannot see that happening.

Hedges - I don't think he will ever do well in a McInnes side, I think he will be the next Wilson/Gleeson/Forrester.

Getting rid of McInnes is easy, but possibly costly if what I read on here is correct, but replacing him will no doubt be a difficult, but just because of that shouldn't mean we just keep him

Pathetic. Narrow, no movement, when we did spread the ball no-one was stretching the game and we weren’t pinging it about from the middle they were 40yd cross field balls.

McGeoch was dropping deeper than McKenna & Devlin.

Twice I wished I’d been quicker on the screen shot as the camera panned forward with Kennedy, Cosgrove & (second time, not sure if it was both) Anderson stood static, arm width apart, on the left of the St Johnstone box.

We have no one willing or able to provide the touch and control in that area between the centre circle and the box, to allow the team to move forward. We seem to be trying to counter any press with a long ball not jus a high press.

Felt a wee bit sorry for McGeouch at one point when he clearly had no movement in front of him so he puts his arms out and shrugs like “how do you think I’m getting the ball to any of you, and even if I do I’ll be making a challenge to win it back when you lose it.”

No idea where to start. But I'm no different to McInnes in that respect. He clearly hasn't a clue how to get this squad of players to play in an entertaining attacking style.

Firstly, those who get pass marks. Kennedy. So that's that out of the way. Everyone else were at best below par, at worst rank fucking rotten. Mcgeouch, Cosgrove and Ferguson getting special mentions as being the worst of the worst. I thought Ojo was actually the best of our 3 holding midfielders on Saturday and found it strange that he was the one to get dropped. Last year, Ferguson was overplayed ( at times enforced due to lack of options through injuries/suspension) and was quite obvious he needed a rest when his performance level dropped. I think he could do with that now. Cosgrove hasn't so much gone off the boil as started to develop ice crystals. Failing to get a new striker on board is now proving a huge problem. with Main exiled to a Siberian concentration camp and Anderson (imho) not good enough nor having the physical attributes to deal with our centre halves 60 yard punts/ WW1 like shelling campaign.

Hernandez.....not exactly an inspiring start for our new "star". As with Kennedy, he's getting a free pass on this one in view of it being his first match. Hopefully as he gets to know the players better he will improve as Kennedy has in his subsequent matches. The rest of the defence were woeful. McKenna and Taylor directly responsible for their goal but Joe is not absolved from blame either....he went down far too quickly and made the Saints scorer's choice easy. I've said this for 3 months.....the captaincy needs handing to an outfield player. Not just because he's unable to influence things enough and drive the team forward (by showing the way personally if necessary). But also because he's just too "nice". The captain should be able to turn into an angry bastard when necessary and Joe just doesn't have that in him.

I had intended coming up for the Killie game. However they're now scoring plenty and I fear a drubbing. I'm not spending the best part of £150 all in for the pleasure of watching a shit-show walloping. McInnes must surely realise his time with us is up. But he isn't going to walk away with over £2million remaining on his contract. And is why I don't think Cormack will fire him for the foreseeable future. I fear we are going to see much more of the shit until the end of the season, with Hibs overhauling us by Easter at the latest and a severe risk of even Livi doing the same...theyre no great shakes but can at least win their home games. Sickened....

just flung players under a bus including hernandez , stellar management

Hernandez was put into a game against a team way lower than us in his preferred position. He looked weak, panicked, of average ball playing ability and unfamiliar with the position. He showed absolutely nothing that would suggest an £800K player. Obviously, extremely early days, but from that value of signing we should be expecting something visible. He was definitely worse than Logan. Needs to work on his fitness and come back when ready, which I'm hoping won't be this weekend. He looked like Nwakali did on his debut. I certainly have expected Virtanen to come in and play as poorly as that. Looks like a very high risk signing. Looking forward to be being proven wrong.

written off after one game and not playing for 2 months...

Only if you can't understand the words: "Obviously, extremely early days" and "Needs to work on his fitness and come back when ready" and "Looking forward to being proven wrong".

I just don't think that McInnes threw him under a bus as you suggest. This should have been a fairly routine game for a guy of his suggested calibre. It isn't unreasonable for a manager to expect a player to come in against lower table opposition and in his preferred position and make a decent go of it (McGeough was given similar 60 minutes or so in his opening game). He's moving from Scandi fitba, so not a total shock to the system playing similar European fitba.

I like to make an early call on players, like I did with Forrester, Gleeson, Main, Tansey, Maynard, Wilson, Cosgrove and was proved correct, and May, McKenna and several others where I was wrong.

Where I see that I could be proven wrong with Hernandez is his ability to get up and down the line. I didn't think he did it nearly enough, and didn't beat his man once, but he did seem capable of doing it if perhaps he was a little fitter. Bearing in mind I'm not just judging him by his ability to be a first team dons player, but his ability to re-coup (and more) his £800K fee. He's got to be held to higher standards really.

Only if you can't understand the words: "Obviously, extremely early days" and "Needs to work on his fitness and come back when ready" and "Looking forward to being proven wrong".

I just don't think that McInnes threw him under a bus as you suggest. This should have been a fairly routine game for a guy of his suggested calibre. It isn't unreasonable for a manager to expect a player to come in against lower table opposition and in his preferred position and make a decent go of it (McGeough was given similar 60 minutes or so in his opening game). He's moving from Scandi fitba, so not a total shock to the system playing similar European fitba.

I like to make an early call on players, like I did with Forrester, Gleeson, Main, Tansey, Maynard, Wilson, Cosgrove and was proved correct, and May, McKenna and several others where I was wrong.

Where I see that I could be proven wrong with Hernandez is his ability to get up and down the line. I didn't think he did it nearly enough, and didn't beat his man once, but he did seem capable of doing it if perhaps he was a little fitter. Bearing in mind I'm not just judging him by his ability to be a first team dons player, but his ability to re-coup (and more) his £800K fee. He's got to be held to higher standards really.

I hear where coming from regarding Hernandez, as  feel that is a very big fee for a club like us and it's not like we are flush with cash, regardless of how much our new owners are worth.

If we pay out fees like this then we really need to see a near instant impact or at least signs that they will improve us as a team.

Didn't see anything last night to suggest he was a future talent, but quite possibly he just didn't understand what was expected of him due to how we play. Doesn't help either the team are low on confidence and have a manager in the last phase of his career with us at the helm.

Be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday.

I dont walk to talk the guy down because its encouraging that were prepared to take gambles like this. It did seem an unusual area of the pitch to spend that amount of money though,as opposed to a hot prospect in an more beneficial/urgent area of the pitch,ie attacking mid,and probably with more sellability in that dept?

To be fair we were apparently trying to bid around £400k for that sort of player on deadline day but it fell through,so fair play to the ambition on that front.

I wouldnt imagine the men with the money will be happy to see their investments regressing via the current state of football. Its frustrating because we should be entering a more optimistic era