Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs RoPs 2nd leg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little surprised at the criticism and negativity. That was a typical DM performance, manage the game and see it out. Tactically went a little more defensive with Campbell ahead of Wright, and we didn’t play with the same attacking pace or urgency we saw last week. Job done and if Sam could have taken chances 3-4 to 1 would not have been unfair tonight.

I’m not an Ash fan but he was fine tonight. My only criticism is Sam and his missed chances. Thought Dean Campbell played well, got a lovely tough and sorry, plays like Ryan Jack. Pretty sure Gallagher was told to be less aggressive going forward tonight so we didn’t see many lung bursting runs. Again, job done.

I also think the surface played a factor, both in team selection and play during the game. No need to go all out and risk injury when the game is under control. Next week I hope to see Leigh, Funso, and Bryson and wonder how much of an effect the last two will have in midfield. We need to boss teams in there and Gallagher and Ferguson are a little blood and guts and will the new guys bring greater creativity.

Still not sure of Ferguson's role but you may see him and Bryson switch between holding and attacking mid. Also, and many apologies, but I do see Ferguson a bit in the Scott Brown mold. 

The tie should have been put to bed earlier but the performances were ok at this stage of the season. Thats us through and weve got a couple of games under our belt now which will help the fitness. Sam could have had 4-5 over the two ties but I think his movement and link up play was quite good. I think he had much more impact than Main who didnt do much when he came on.

I'll be honest, I didn't see what everyone seemed to see in Ferguson last season, I thought he was slow, lethargic and guilty of poor passes and needless fouls. Last week, 2nd Half anyway, and for the majority of the 90 minutes tonight, I saw a more rounded player, he seems to excel more prominently in the attacking third as opposed to the sitting role. so hopefully, with Funso Ojo sitting, and the experienced Bryson beside him, he can be a big player for us this year. I thought he was very good tonight.

Cosgrove was very disappointing, 2 glaring opportunities and he blew them, I am very hopeful that he's just rusty and that he'll start putting them away.

Gallagher, I think he looks awfully " Kick & Rush " and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but he does have to learn his next pass, delivery and move a little more smarter if that makes sense, thought McGinn was well marshalled and gifted them the ball several times, and eventually and naturally, tired.

Hedges looks technically gifted and he put in more than enough quality crosses in the 1st Half, which sadly we never took advantage of. Thought the game screamed out for Stevie May & Scott Wright to be honest, as it wore on anyway, to stretch them and put them on the back foot when they started being a bit more brave as the game neared the end.

Yes, we are through, but we need to improve and by some margin, especially offensively. Maybe Wilson match fit can make a difference, but I fully expect us to be more direct and dangerous with McLennan in the 11, Ojo & Bryson in the midfield and Leigh at Left Back. Fingers crossed they all feature against the Georgian mob.

Not a great performance  but we are through. Worrying the way a team as poor as RoPS still caused us problems at the back especially Taylor who looked very poor at times. Really need today’s injury to be the only one of the season for Devlin as better teams will murder Taylor. Cosgrove again missing sitters. Main did not look any better when he came on. Going to have to hope Wilson turns up this season.  McGinn and Ferguson looked our best players. We will need to be a lot better to get passed the Georgians I suspect.

I suppose something else to add which is perhaps relevant. Starting this round

McKenna - 22

Devlin - 25

Gallagher - 23

Wright - 21

Ferguson - 19

Campbell - 18

Hedges - 24

Cosgrove - 22

We’re a young team, good to get these experiences, surely these guys can only get better.

I'll be honest, I didn't see what everyone seemed to see in Ferguson last season, I thought he was slow, lethargic and guilty of poor passes and needless fouls. Last week, 2nd Half anyway, and for the majority of the 90 minutes tonight, I saw a more rounded player, he seems to excel more prominently in the attacking third as opposed to the sitting role. so hopefully, with Funso Ojo sitting, and the experienced Bryson beside him, he can be a big player for us this year. I thought he was very good tonight.

Cosgrove was very disappointing, 2 glaring opportunities and he blew them, I am very hopeful that he's just rusty and that he'll start putting them away.

Gallagher, I think he looks awfully " Kick & Rush " and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but he does have to learn his next pass, delivery and move a little more smarter if that makes sense, thought McGinn was well marshalled and gifted them the ball several times, and eventually and naturally, tired.

Hedges looks technically gifted and he put in more than enough quality crosses in the 1st Half, which sadly we never took advantage of. Thought the game screamed out for Stevie May & Scott Wright to be honest, as it wore on anyway, to stretch them and put them on the back foot when they started being a bit more brave as the game neared the end.

Yes, we are through, but we need to improve and by some margin, especially offensively. Maybe Wilson match fit can make a difference, but I fully expect us to be more direct and dangerous with McLennan in the 11, Ojo & Bryson in the midfield and Leigh at Left Back. Fingers crossed they all feature against the Georgian mob.

Based on what I’ve seen I’d take Hedges, McGinn, or Gallagher wide before McLennan. Still not convinced by him, too much fumbling and falling over the ball or simply running straight into defenders. The three above in the last two games have looked very creative and produced chances.

The commentators on Premier Sports mentioned during the game that viewers can expect word of more Scottish teams' European games by Monday. Obv at that point sevco and Killie still had to play their games and Killie ( :laughing:) are now obviously out....Along with the numpties who had already booked their flights and accommodation for Belgrade I think that was the game Premier intended to put out live purely on logistical grounds (Belgrade much closer and far more travel options than Tbilisi). I've not checked about sevco….are they at home or in Luxembourg for their first leg?

A little surprised at the criticism and negativity. That was a typical DM performance, manage the game and see it out. Tactically went a little more defensive with Campbell ahead of Wright, and we didn’t play with the same attacking pace or urgency we saw last week. Job done and if Sam could have taken chances 3-4 to 1 would not have been unfair tonight.

I’m not an Ash fan but he was fine tonight. My only criticism is Sam and his missed chances. Thought Dean Campbell played well, got a lovely tough and sorry, plays like Ryan Jack. Pretty sure Gallagher was told to be less aggressive going forward tonight so we didn’t see many lung bursting runs. Again, job done.

I also think the surface played a factor, both in team selection and play during the game. No need to go all out and risk injury when the game is under control. Next week I hope to see Leigh, Funso, and Bryson and wonder how much of an effect the last two will have in midfield. We need to boss teams in there and Gallagher and Ferguson are a little blood and guts and will the new guys bring greater creativity.

Still not sure of Ferguson's role but you may see him and Bryson switch between holding and attacking mid. Also, and many apologies, but I do see Ferguson a bit in the Scott Brown mold.

Spot on, exactly what I expected from DMC, we had plenty of firepower as shown in first leg, but he went a bit more cautious just to make it exciting. I’d love to see us play with 4 attacking midfielders this year ( like last week )but I can’t see him dropping Ferguson or Ojo. To be honest I’m not that excited about Bryson playing in front of those 2. Think it’d be pretty flat. I’d prefer one sitting with four of mcginn, gallagher,hedges, Wright, McLennan and Bryson in front of them. I’m nit sure we’ll be brave enough.

P.s will Wilson get a chance to play striker this year?

Spot on, exactly what I expected from DMC, we had plenty of firepower as shown in first leg, but he went a bit more cautious just to make it exciting. I’d love to see us play with 4 attacking midfielders this year ( like last week )but I can’t see him dropping Ferguson or Ojo. To be honest I’m not that excited about Bryson playing in front of those 2. Think it’d be pretty flat. I’d prefer one sitting with four of mcginn, gallagher,hedges, Wright, McLennan and Bryson in front of them. I’m nit sure we’ll be brave enough.

P.s will Wilson get a chance to play striker this year?

I think we may see an older Bryson sit behind a more attack minded Ferguson, but also I think we may see one holding mid in Fonso behind those two in a bit more of a 4-1-4-1.

Wilson isn’t fit yet, DM sees him as a wide player who can also play up top if we decide to go with two forwards. He’ll push McGinn, Hedges, and McLennan for playing time, but I also think with both mcginn and hedges having past injuries he’ll get his chances when he’s fit (which in itself has its doubts with his previous injuries.)

Possible opponents in the QR3 draw (being made Monday). We're in group 4.

PSV Eindhoven / Basel

Connah's Quay Nomads / Partizan

Flora Tallinn / Eintracht Frankfurt

Rijeka

Jeunesse Esch / Vitoria SC

If Aberdeen beat PSV/Basel, Partizan or Frankfurt, they would be seeded for the playoff round (according to someone who has been working it out).

So Partizan would appear the best tie for us.

I do think for us to reach the group stages we will have to beat a team that on paper we’re certainly not meant to beat. I think if we get by the next round we want a team who is in preseason, not a team who is fit and in mid season form. I’d rather avoid Rijeka who’d certainly be on a revenge mission, going Dutch or German may be cool but still a weaker team if there is one helps.

That's a pretty horrific list. I'm not even sure Partizan would be a good draw for us. Surely Vitoria would be better?

The thinking was more that Partizan are seeded for the play-off round, so we could have taken their seeding and had an easier draw.