Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

That is extremely harsh LA.  The guy is 22 years old and this is the first time he has played a full season at any level yet he has scored more goals in a season than most of our players in the last 30 years!  He might never turn into a world beater but he is only going to get better as he gets more first team experience.  Could end up making the club an awful lot of money in the future.

I see it two ways. Your points are valid and while he has scored 20 goals, facts are facts. Plus he's been pants for a fair part of the season, what if he were on form all season??? However, I don't like the impact he has on our team. When we play Cosgrove (or Stockley) we revert to lumping long balls and we are god awful to watch, and not very good. Cosgrove impacts our style of play and based on results the quality of performance and success of the team has gone down. Not solely Cosgrove's fault, mainly with the manager and his player signings, selections, and tactics, but this style of play isn't for me and the style of forward isn't for me. I feel we can do better. I wanted Rooney rerplaced by someone better who gave more to our team, that's not Cosgrove.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

walker was decent at hearts?

Yes he was. But since his preferred move to sevco fell through and he joined Wigan...…...I've honestly no idea what he is like now as he has made 8 appearances for them (17 on loan at Peterborough). But probably worth a punt on loan as I said.

Can't see why everyone thinks we will be so short of players next season.

Of the team that played on Sunday you would expect we will likely loose McKenna, Lowe and Stewart. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Joe Lewis was away too...think his contract is up next summer and he looked really pissed off on Sunday at the end when he was handing his gloves to a young kid.

That utter bellend Mark Guidi (this was the prick who, when sevco were in their first year of existence down in the third division, stated they were "the second best team in Scotland") just said that Stewart to sevco was "a dead cert to happen".

We're fucked then. He will be with us on a 4 year contract before you can say "useless, slow, one footed wage thief"...……...

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Joe Lewis was away too...think his contract is up next summer and he looked really pissed off on Sunday at the end when he was handing his gloves to a young kid.

How have you come to the conclusion that means he wants to leave?

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I see it two ways. Your points are valid and while he has scored 20 goals, facts are facts. Plus he's been pants for a fair part of the season, what if he were on form all season??? However, I don't like the impact he has on our team. When we play Cosgrove (or Stockley) we revert to lumping long balls and we are god awful to watch, and not very good.

Aye, that's fair comment LA.  For me, that's also got a lot to do with the inconsistency of selection and performance of our wide players since Hayes left.  Hayes and McGinn played every week and for the most part, played very well.  Since GMS came in he has had spells out through injury (and swimming) and only recently has McGinn started to play to a decent standard again since he returned to the club.  Add in McLennan, who is always going to be hit and miss at his age and it has been hard going to get decent performances in the wide areas and that has had big impact on the style of play.

He doesn't, but there is an issue between him and the club at the moment over him staying/signing a new deal.

You know this for certain?

As far as I'm aware, he (and probably more importantly, his family) absolutely love the lifestyle in the city. What we should be doing is immediately taking the Shinnie deal off the table and offering it to Lewis. I'm certain if we wait he will get better paid offers from the English Championship so we need to ask the question now. If he rejects it then fair enough, we move on and start the process of sourcing his eventual successor but if he signs it then we get him tied up pretty much for the best years of his career.

How have you come to the conclusion that means he wants to leave?

I didn't say he wants to leave, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he left in the summer.  His contract is up in a year, he a very good keeper which will have been noted at other Clubs and I shouldn't imagine that the Club would want him to leave for free next season.

A quick look at available players this summer, after their contract expires at their current clubs, and there are a few players that I believe could do a job for us no problem. 

LB - Jake Bidwell ( Over 250 Appearances in the English Championship, 6ft, currently plays for QPR & is free in the Summer )

CDM - Josh McEachran ( Played a few senior games at Chelsea before being loaned out numerous times, also capped and scored at England Under 21 level. Currently playing for Brentford but again, contract expires at the end of the season, could be a replacement for Kenny McLean? )

Winger - Kazenga LuaLua - ( Senior appearances for both Newcastle United & Brighton, has good pace but perhaps lacks the finish to match, but clearly had or still has, something about him, currently at Luton Town and out of contract in the Summer )

Striker - Conor Washington ( Northern Irish Striker, 129 Goals in 337 Games throughout his career so far, NI International, currently plays for Sheffield United and out of contract in the Summer, only 26 years old, possibly mates with Niall McGinn through the National team set up which could work in our favour )

These are just players that are free to speak to other clubs, we haven't been linked with them or anything like that & obviously I have no idea about what McInnes has already done or is currently doing behind the scenes, but in my opinion, these are players that we could attract and could afford within our wage budget that could maybe improve us.

We can't afford to go into next season with the likes of Considine as our main LB and Ball as a main CDM or just Cosgrove & May as our Strikers. The manager isn't stupid enough to do so, so I would hope we are making moves behind the scenes.

I didn't say he wants to leave, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he left in the summer.  His contract is up in a year, he a very good keeper which will have been noted at other Clubs and I shouldn't imagine that the Club would want him to leave for free next season.

Yeh, but you equated it to him looking "pissed off when handing his gloves to a fan" on Sunday, suggesting that was some tell-tale sign.

I tend to think he was pissed off at losing a semi-final more than anything.

Never liked having a 'keeper as captain but I do hope he gets the money that was earmarked for Shinnie to get him to extend his contract. Captaincy should go to

1) McKenna if he says he will stay at least the full season

or

2) Devlin if McKenna is offski/there really are no long term fitness doubts (hmmmmmm??)

or

3) Logan as a default if options 1 and 2 are unviable for the reasons stated (and assuming we don't sign a Logan upgrade in the close season)

Eh?

Who for the money we have are we signing to replace him?

Considine is 32 and getting slower by the day. At fault for a fair number of goals at left back and central defense and spends most games these days sticking touch tight and fouling the opponents center forward because any space given Andy can’t keep up. I don’t get the fans love affair, die hard don and love the club but he’s not good enough.  Thanks for all you’ve done but more of a liability than asset these days. Promote and invest in youth. McKenna was very average at Ayr United and look what happened to him, let’s try the next young loon.

Eh?

Who for the money we have are we signing to replace him?

Nae this pish again. Since when do you need to be a professional scout with 20 years experience to be able to state your opinion about a player (or a manager) not being good enough? It's nae up to us to source replacements and have them ready.

For the record I like Considine. Although he should not be a 1st 11 player at our club anymore. Id be happy to have him on the bench next season.

I would keep Considine around the place, but when everyone is fit I see him as more of a back-up. If we can get Hoban & Shaugnessy signed, and a new left back, then wouldn't see him starting much. Would be depressing if he reverts to left-back again.

Wouldn't make McKenna captain - has generally struggled when given the armband. Is still a young player himself in need of guidance.

The real worry is without Shinnie there's a lack of leaders in that team. Lewis wouldn't be the worst shout as captain.

Considine has, year after year, gradually improved his game and adapted to be more athletic to suit the LB role. He has been trusted by numerous managers now and fought hard to stay in the team. His attitude and willingness to get better can never be questioned, and this season he's had some stellar performances at CB, but he's also had some shocking ones too. He has also got away with some odd fouls, echoing what LA Don mentioned. 

Said it on several threads now, we can't afford to go into the new season with Considine as our main LB, but I'd be more than happy if he was kept as a back up, experienced Centre Back. I would definitely dismiss the Captaincy talk, he's not a loud guy, he's always been quite reserved on the pitch and I don't believe he has any leadership qualities.