Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January window

Yep, pretty much spot on R.S, as someone who has been going to the A.G.M's i can only back up some of the stuff you posted re Milne.

The fee for Bernard was big & a gamble given his injury record, but at that time, we started paying some ridiculous amounts for very average players.  £800,000 for Brian o'Neill anyone ?  £400,000 - Nigel fooking Pepper ? 

The deal Dodds & money for Winters could only be described as bonkers!!  :dunno:

Without going into debt & i dont think we would have to particularly, we should be making a a couple of good signings to strengthen , looking quite obvious now G.S & G.M.S are offski aswell . We have made some cracking signings in recent years especially the 2 from Hamilton , but our bad signings have outnumbered the good ones.

Did we even scout those duds from the English lower leagues?

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 goal in 17 games suddenly equals Million+ signing for a team who 4months ago were on the brink of Administration.

English football at its finest

Bolton don't want him  :o They are holding up the process, surely, given that it was all pre-agreed, they will face some sort of punishment or fine etc...

Also, wonder if it will rekindle our interest in him.

To give a perspective, Bolton's home gates have averaged between 13 and 15k this season, their biggest being 17k v. Leeds who presumably took a big travelling support. They're in freefall and need to get their act together if they're to escape the drop to the third tier of English football. Josh Maggenis is down there. I know there's TV money and income from the league etc. but they must be loss-making at those sort of crowds v. wages needed to fork out. Is this really a bigger and better prospective employer than AFC for a hungry ambitious footballer? Pity we don't have hunger and ambition ourselves.

Note: I recently discovered how to see crowd figures. BBC > Scores and Results > select a match > click on Line Ups.

McCormack to Motherwell

McCormack, had a decent loan spell with Melbourne in the A-League, but this is the boy that kept failing to turn up for training at Villa, locked himself in his house and couldn't get out being one excuse if I remember correctly.

He'll swan back into Motherwell like billy big balls, thinking he's better than everyone else.

File him in the same manila folder as Tony Watt.

Presumably in the circumstances the boy Doidge at Bolton will have to return to his parent club (Forest Green Rovers IIRC).

Even in a team struggling at the bottom of the Championship, 1 goal in 17 games is a pretty uninspiring return. EFL2 is probably his level so hope to hell we don't make a bid.

McCormack, had a decent loan spell with Melbourne in the A-League, but this is the boy that kept failing to turn up for training at Villa, locked himself in his house and couldn't get out being one excuse if I remember correctly.

He'll swan back into Motherwell like billy big balls, thinking he's better than everyone else.

I thought he was currently injured. Had a subsequent loan with CCM and failed to turn up and definitely didn't give a shit.

Presumably in the circumstances the boy Doidge at Bolton will have to return to his parent club (Forest Green Rovers IIRC).

Even in a team struggling at the bottom of the Championship, 1 goal in 17 games is a pretty uninspiring return. EFL2 is probably his level so hope to hell we don't make a bid.

Doidge cannot play for Dons anyway as he has already played for Forrest Green and Bolton so cannot play for a third club this season.

I think you'll find the gate of his driveway malfunctioned not allowing him or his car out.  :laughing: Steve Bruce telt him to jump over the gate and get a lift/taxi.

Gloucestershire sports journalist, who's usually spot on, says he's back to FGR training today. Bolton's transfer embargo means he cannot sign there.

Also reading murmurings on twitter that McInnes has had a chat with the Stoke board...

Moyes is apparently interested in the Stoke gig so Mcinnes for next boss there could be classed as a dark horse at best.

Stoke are a bit of a mess by the sound of their forums and their fans fucking hate Rowett so any new boss will have not being Gary Rowett as a big plus mark.  All that said there probably would be money to spend and they are 13 points clear of the drop so in no immediate danger either.  If they did approach its going to be more of a temptation than Sunderland was, decent size club with a solid support. 

Gloucestershire sports journalist, who's usually spot on, says he's back to FGR training today. Bolton's transfer embargo means he cannot sign there.

Also reading murmurings on twitter that McInnes has had a chat with the Stoke board...

If you mean in regards to taking one of their players......why the board and not their manager? 2 players spring to mind who could be available for loan. Charlie Adam.......big old hun, big old belly, at 33 bound to be slowing down (he was never even average paced) and taking him on board would surely mean DM abandoning his usual tactics of safety first. Nope can't see it being old Charlie.

So that leaves a striker. Which we do need. Now who (possibly) could be available for loan that hasn't been getting games for Stoke? I couldn't be? Surely not? DM trying to outdo sevco in the geriatric legends race? Or maybe fancies an upgrade from big Gash's wife? No.......just no!

If you mean in regards to taking one of their players......why the board and not their manager? 2 players spring to mind who could be available for loan. Charlie Adam.......big old hun, big old belly, at 33 bound to be slowing down (he was never even average paced) and taking him on board would surely mean DM abandoning his usual tactics of safety first. Nope can't see it being old Charlie.

So that leaves a striker. Which we do need. Now who (possibly) could be available for loan that hasn't been getting games for Stoke? I couldn't be? Surely not? DM trying to outdo sevco in the geriatric legends race? Or maybe fancies an upgrade from big Gash's wife? No.......just no!

To replace Rowett is what is being suggested.

Nope it's a player he is after

and its a left back.....Josh Tymon

Slightly younger version of Max Lowe then.

Surely to christ by now McInnes MUST have some long term plan to resolve this position, or am I just being overly optimistic lads  ???

Slightly younger version of Max Lowe then.

Surely to christ by now McInnes MUST have some long term plan to resolve this position, or am I just being overly optimistic lads  ???

The thing is, do we genuinely expect McInnes to solve every issue in the team every window, or should we expect that there are priorities? Up until this season (and probably even in the past summer window) left back wasn't nearly as much of an issue as striker, winger, midfield and centre of defence. Considine isn't an amazing left back, but his position wasn't the consistent area of concern across the park either - we had far greater glaring issues in striker in the summer (and still do arguably), central midfield (and still do arguably!) and in the forward wide areas. That we managed to get Lowe in was a huge bonus, as it lessened the extent to which the total fuck ups in other recruitment - midfield, striker - became an issue. I think that we're only now in a position where I'd put left back as the top signing priority, and that has as much to do with Shinnie being irreplaceable in our midfield by any of our existing squad than it has to do with Considine not being able in there. It is also conditional on the ambitious hope that between Cosgrove, May and Wilson we have enough to get some goals in the season run in. I think you're right that we should be looking for a long(ish) term plan for that role, as I think it's vital that we get at least one of our key deficient areas fulfilled in this window due to the fact that we might have several other key areas to fill in the summer. I generally assume that we can only fill 2 (Ferguson so far) key positions per season (and January is especially difficult for this) with long term solid signings, with others being either filled by loan or by adequate short term replacements like yer Balls, yer O'Connors, yer Stewarts, yer Hobans and so on. I think we are kidding ourselves if we think we can do more. If we get a loanee left back, than I'd expect we'll do some good further business in midfield or striker in order to bring in one good solid signing before summer - otherwise we'd have a very busy summer and we'll likely fail to get the required numbers in.