Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

January window

So what do we realistically see happening this window. I’d say we will get a left back and a forward. Would love to see us get a legit central midfielder, clearly lacking that creative #10, but the middle of the park is where it gets interesting. If we go two up too we have Shinnie and Ferguson grafting and there’s no need for the third central mid, but what if Shinnie goes? Then will we see Gleeson or Forrester move on? Would also like to see some pre contracts signed, Jones replacing GMS for example.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L.A this is not directed at you but there is not a cat in hell's chance of us getting Jordan Jones.

He's not wrong.....only Scottish club that might get Jones are sevco but really expect him to end up in the English Championship.

We all know we need a number 10 and I've been advocating Scott Allan but he was pictured at Easter Road the other night attending the Hearts game so expect that is where he will end up. DM has stated we need a striker with Anderson out 2-3 months and that is where any cash will go. Left back also a priority but have a feeling we will end up going down the 6 month loan route for this......lets hope we get one of a similar standard to Lowe.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

The team has become a younger one these last few months with the likes of McKenna, McLennan, Cosgrove, Ferguson, Anderson getting their chance.  We should be looking for an older head in the middle of the park, a captain like figure to guide the young lads especially if Shinnie may be going. We did it a while back with the likes of McNamara, Hartley, Robson and Brewster and should be looking for the same type again. A Scott Brown type would be perfect for our team right now, someone who's seen it and done it.

The team has become a younger one these last few months with the likes of McKenna, McLennan, Cosgrove, Ferguson, Anderson getting their chance.  We should be looking for an older head in the middle of the park, a captain like figure to guide the young lads especially if Shinnie may be going. We did it a while back with the likes of McNamara, Hartley, Robson and Brewster and should be looking for the same type again. A Scott Brown type would be perfect for our team right now, someone who's seen it and done it.

Maybe not a McNamara type the wage thief that he was.

So what do we realistically see happening this window. I’d say we will get a left back and a forward. Would love to see us get a legit central midfielder, clearly lacking that creative #10, but the middle of the park is where it gets interesting. If we go two up too we have Shinnie and Ferguson grafting and there’s no need for the third central mid, but what if Shinnie goes? Then will we see Gleeson or Forrester move on? Would also like to see some pre contracts signed, Jones replacing GMS for example.

Not like I have hidden my opinion on it, but I still honestly believe Gleeson has a part to play, I think he is starting to maybe reign in some doubts that fans had over him, clearly has ability and has been one of our better players when brought on in recent weeks. Okay, he doesn't have the engine, but he certainly has the passing ability and he never hides from the ball, he was directly involved with the 2 goals at Livingston, watch his pass to Wilson for the 2nd, he was under pressure from 2-3 Livingston players, he simply rolled it back and looked up, playing a good pass to Wilson. And obviously it was his shot ( going well wide ) that Wilson nipped in on and scored the first.

Forrester is a truly bizarre one, we paid for him, he looks lost and looks like he wants too much time on the ball whenever I have seen him, there have been murmurings that he's looked utterly disinterested in training and some reserve games and then of course there is the very tragic passing of his sister. I can't really see a way back for him, but can we afford to just release him?

I think a LB similar to Lowe ( athletic and energetic ) should be a priority, I definitely think we lack a creative attacking midfielder, but I think Niall McGinn could adopt that role, he still has the intelligence and drop of the shoulder, as well as being technically capable, Scott Wright could be his back up.

Top priority for me, the most important thing we need to get right this window, is Striker. I think Cosgrove has proved he's very useful when played in a 2, Wilson, if only he could produce that form he showed against Livingston, but sadly I can't trust him to do so, he's had opportunities, and Stevie May? Well, the less said about him the better, and sadly young Anderson's injury keeps him out for a few months. Will we revisit the summer targets? Moult, Doidge & Marquis? Who knows, for me though, it is vital we get it right.

Doidge went to Bolton on loan till Jan on the basis they bought him now for reportedly 7 figures...

I see Exeter have signed Bowman and Stockley's release clause of £750k has been triggered. Would be typical of the odd way the world works if we had a sell-on fee, Preston signed Stockley and we used said sell on fee to bring in Moult from Preston.

Have just read an article in the Retard online about five players Hearts should sign.

Interesting name pops up there, Luke Leahy (Ex Falkirk) now at Walsall and out of contract this summer.

Natural left back, capable of taking a decent corner etc.

Can remember him looking ok at Falkirk, but 26 years old and over 250 first team games under his belt.

Would like to think he is on our radar  :thumbsup:

All we need now is someone to snap up wee Ryan Fraser

After all the hysterics on the various forums after Fraser left for nothing, it would be hilarious if he earned a big money move and bagged the dons their record transfer fee on the sell-on clause alone. Rumoured to be 22% or some such. The one downside is that he really seems to enjoy playing for Bournemouth, which might mean he doesn't move to a club who can pay the £20M+ that'd pay for our training ground for which he left due to it's non-existence.

Meanwhile we trundle on towards the date the squad fly out to Dubai looking like there will be no new faces joining them on the plane. Why on earth do we leave doing transfer business to the very last minute?

Simples. 1. Spending money is an anathema for Milne and 2. Winning and the success of the "football side of the business" was never his agenda.

T B F Rocket, at one point he did splash out....Paul Bernard anyone?

It nearly fucked us to the point of oblivion.

I agree the "team" has never been his main agenda, and we're permanently paying the "cost" on the field for that, we're a tin-pot club in a tin-pot league, sadly.

At the time of the Barnard signing, we were hugely cash rich following the original shares issue. It was the market price at the time and that signing does not mitigate the truth. The absurd spending on non-productive staff (numbering 124 once upon a time), on excessive maintenance costs at Pittodrie, on feasibility studies and consultancy fees and on ridiculous management extensions and contracts (a failing continuing to this day including McInnes) took us from cash rich to deep debt. That was an agenda. £1m on Barnard was irrelevant to our Balance Sheet at the time so there's no tbf about it.

John Stephen, the now defunct AFCST and us shareholders all voted against Milne in the infamous AGM in the late 90's. He used his corporate mates on the board to survive as he's never owned more than 29% of our shares on his own. But that grim face he had on that night gave him grim determination to beat us and taught him to slow down and be patient. Time will prove if he's been good or bad for AFC. I already know where it's going.