Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

January window

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So turns out the McKenna to Stoke for 7 million was bullshit, and Tyrone Smith has just tweeted this, perhaps explaining the decision to allow Wright to go out on loan, given we still have GMS, McGinn & McLennan.

As well as defender Scott McKenna staying put in the face of interest from Stoke City, Gary Mackay-Steven is also set to remain at Aberdeen beyond the closure of the window. The winger was a target for New York City.

GMS can still join MLS until start of May when their window shuts.

Winter transfers 2018/2019

Aberdeen:- 2 in - 7 out.

Celtic:- 7 in - 9 out.

Dundee:- 11 in - 9 out.

Hamilton:- 5 in - 4 out.

Hearts:- 4 in - 3 out.

Hibs:- 7 in - 5 out.

Kilmarnock:- 4 in - 5 out.

Livi:- 6 in - 7 out.

Motherwell:- 2 in - 9 out.  :eek:

Huns:- 5 in - 7 out.

St Johnstone:- 5 in - 3 out.

St Mirren:- 11 in - 9 out.

I think I got most of that right. A truly fucked transfer window for us.

What that does show is an incredible lack of creativity still. Injury to either McGinn or GMS and we're fucked.  I get what you mean about getting rid of squad fillers Rico, but it just feels too lightweight in proven quality, all across the board except GK.  Highly reliant on good fitness and minimal suspensions between now and the end of the season.

What that does show is an incredible lack of creativity still. Injury to either McGinn or GMS and we're fucked.  I get what you mean about getting rid of squad fillers Rico, but it just feels too lightweight in proven quality, all across the board except GK.  Highly reliant on good fitness and minimal suspensions between now and the end of the season.

Have to agree Manc. Any injuries or suspensions will leave us reliant on youngsters who have little first team experience. Window has again reinforced that club has no ambition beyond 3rd.

None of those that left had proven quality though. It's a risk, but I'm actually quite glad to see the manager take one for once. I have no doubt his intention was to get another player in, but we've obviously failed. He'd probably made a decision that the players out the door weren't going to be good enough for the run in, and that shouldn't change just because we've not managed to get a replacement - they still wouldn't be good enough. For Wright and Anderson, we're sacrificing squad depth so that they can become better players by getting game time and I think that's the correct decision (should have happened sooner in Wright's case). Obviously, we'll get McGinn and GMS injured at the weekend and we'll be fucked, but that's life!

IF we do get a Euro place we’re pretty fucked for the qualifiers.

Lewis

McKenna

Devlin

Logan

Ferguson

Gleeson

Campbell

McGinn

McLennan

Ross

Wright

May

Cosgrove

Anderson

We will definitely sign at least a couple of pre-contracts to cover any of ours that leave in the summer so isn't quite as desperate numbers wise as you portray. Quality wise who knows though?

I’m really disappointed with our strategy during the window, our squad has become weaker at a time when the 3 teams above us have clearly strengthened. I understand the benefit (hopefully) of Anderson and Wright going on loan, but looking at the bigger picture from January it just looks like a massive cost cutting exercise. A quality signing of some sort would have given the fans a lift and our opponents a reminder we mean business, and the dna supporters would have got some reward for their investment.

Assuming McKenna and Devlin are both fully fit again now, otherwise I don’t see how we can cope with the limited options we have.  ???

Don't think we will see either of Devlin or McKenna until mid February at the earliest. Devlin especially is a puzzler....club keep saying he's 10-14 days away from returning and this keeps getting extended. Facing Hivs and sevco with Consi and Hoban (if he stays fit!) Is hardly ideal but it is what it is so we just have to get on with it.

Punting Forrester, Tansey and loaning out Reynolds should save the club around £8k per week in wages so makes sense as none of them would have featured except in the forest of emergencies. Wright and Anderson will get regular game time at decent levels. With Ball and Gleeson ahead of him in the pecking order, I've liked to seen Campbell also head out to a Championship club to get a regular game as I think of the 3 mentioned, he has the biggest future ahead of him....could even be a regular pick for us by this time next year.

Disappointed the Barker rumour came to nothing. GMS has been underwhelming at best since retiring from injury and you have to wonder how big his committment will be going forward given that he will be offski in summer.

None of those that left had proven quality though. It's a risk, but I'm actually quite glad to see the manager take one for once. I have no doubt his intention was to get another player in, but we've obviously failed. He'd probably made a decision that the players out the door weren't going to be good enough for the run in, and that shouldn't change just because we've not managed to get a replacement - they still wouldn't be good enough. For Wright and Anderson, we're sacrificing squad depth so that they can become better players by getting game time and I think that's the correct decision (should have happened sooner in Wright's case). Obviously, we'll get McGinn and GMS injured at the weekend and we'll be fucked, but that's life!

I don't disagree about not really losing any quality. But this was an opportunity to actually improve squad depth, don't think I really articulated that. Everyone knows we're lacking creative quality in the middle of the park and that's where my biggest concern is. As well as the wings now Wright, despite never being consistent, at least offered an option.

It's a bit deflating tbh.