Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs Huns league opener - Sun 5 Aug

Because its sevco. SFA will find a way of reducing it to a yellow. I'd guess sevco will show the McKenna barges as "evidence" of provocation and moan about our guy getting away with it whilst theirs got punished.....FWIW McKenna was lucky not to have been caught as for either offence he would have been booked but as far as I know he cannot be punished retrospectively.

You are correct though it was violent conduct by Morelos and warranted a red. I just have no confidence that our authorities will not try anything they can to assist sevco.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually very surprised. Astonished to be honest. Obviously, I'm only going on the clips below as I didn't see it at the game but it seems very clear cut to me as per the existing interpretation of the law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45112507

That said, I don't actually think that type of offence should be a red card (it is, currently, going by any law of the game that exists). It's petulant and unnecessary, but not particularly aggessive or dangerous. McKenna barged him and he responded and I think that it should be a yellow card. That's how I'd like to see these types of things refereed in future, and hopefully now this will be the case (yeh, right). I want to make very clear for those of you unable to digest a point, that I am not saying that Morelos shouldn't have been given a red. The interpretation has been very clear for a number of years now (see Beckham vs Simeone all those years ago) that this type of incident has always been a red card. If this forms part of a new leniency on that type of incident then I'm all for it, but I think that needs to be explained if so (it clearly isn't the case as we all know).

The only problem I could forsee is it introduces a level of uncertainty for the referee. If you make kicking out a red for violent conduct all of the time it allows the refs to be more consistent. Just look at how the handball rule has gone since we have introduced the qualification of if it has to be intentional.

Im really gutted on this one. Its just utter corruption at the sfa/spl. They are saying that a Morelos is only a yellow card but Logans was much worse.

Also no sign of Gerrard getting pulled in for his post match comments on the refs.

I wouldnt be so angry but there are precedents that have been set.

The only problem I could forsee is it introduces a level of uncertainty for the referee. If you make kicking out a red for violent conduct all of the time it allows the refs to be more consistent. Just look at how the handball rule has gone since we have introduced the qualification of if it has to be intentional.

Im really gutted on this one. Its just utter corruption at the sfa/spl. They are saying that a Morelos is only a yellow card but Logans was much worse.

Also no sign of Gerrard getting pulled in for his post match comments on the refs.

I wouldnt be so angry but there are precedents that have been set.

Precendents are generally set on a per-season basis though, so it remains to be seen if consistency is applied. Logan's incident is entirely incomparable, it's a totally different set of circumstances (a fuckin nonsense as well, of course).

I'd hope Gerrard wouldn't be either, he said nothing of note. It was all about pandering to the filth whilst showing complete lack of individual thought.

The only thing I would say is: "what would VAR have done?". I fucking hate VAR, I think it's shite, but it's an interesting thought. If that incident had occurred in the world cup and Clancy missed it or just wanted to check it, what would he have done? I am 100% certain that if Clancy had missed it, then the VAR staff would have asked him to review it. I am 100% certain that if he'd seen it, or was asked to review it, then he would have watched the incident back and the red card would have been given. Especially if they had (ridiculously) shown the slow motion incident (which made the incident look much worse than it actually was).

If they’d used VAR the correct outcome would have been yellow for McKenna, and red for Morelos. Does the decision to rescind the red card come with any explanation, or are we just expected to suck it up and not ask any questions?  :dunno:

Gerrard said: “The card has been rescinded which we are very happy about.

“But that doesn’t take away the fact that we believe we dropped two points because of that decision.

“We hope that doesn’t happen to all the clubs in the SPFL again and that you suffer from a decision of that magnitude.

“We were disappointed with the decision at the time, which I said, but credit to the SFA and the refereeing department, they have overturned it.

“We understand how difficult how difficult it is to referee this big rival games, in any country.

“The referees have a difficult job and I respect it, but it’s disappointing that we were on the receiving end this time round.

“Thankfully they have seen the right decision and overturned the red card which makes him available for the weekend.”

The only thing that will happen to all the clubs in the SPFL, (apart from Sevco ), is that they will have to follow the rules of the game.  :thumbsup:

From the Aberdeen Twitter account

Derek - I was a bit surprised at the red card being reduced when you compare it with Shay’s red at the end of last season.

Maybe he could check if his boss and all the other Directors in the Scottish Premiership were surprised by the SFA decision, and make it known to the paying fans of the outcome.  :thumbsup:

A manager with some balls.

;)

Good interview though. I hadn't realised that Clancy (I think it was Clancy) won't be reffing this weekend. I came away from the game thinking that the ref did well, got most decisions correct and kept up with play etc. Stubbs gets everything spot on in that interview, especially where he asks for some clarification. The lack of transparency is shocking. As a famous man once said: "who are these people?"

Clancy is doing Thistle vs Falkirk this weekend which I've seen folk say is due to how he refereed our game but I think they just get rotated about don't they?

Collum & MacLean were doing Championship games last weekend I think.

the way I interpreted it, it's the linesman that isn't getting a gig this weekend....that will be the linesman that flagged up the incident and advised Clancy.