Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Only Lowe's potential ceiling is a helluva lot higher than Cosgrove's. Even if he cost a million....if he had a season for us similar to the one he just had I reckon he would instantly become worth 4-5 times that outlay. Again fantastic business.

Very hypothetical obviously but I don't think a club like Aberdeen will ever manage to sell on a left back for four or five million.  With players like that the best way for a club like ours to make money is resale clauses like might happen with Ryan Fraser.

In McKenna's case I can see us getting maybe £5M for him tops but then within another couple of years someone will buy him for silly money and we will cash in with the sell on.

Ten Caat, why is it that you think Cosgrove has such a low ceiling. He has all the physical attributes and even a bit of pace. I know his touch could be better at times but its an area he could easily get better at. I would say hes like a better version of Josh Magennis, and look how well hes done.

Ten Caat, why is it that you think Cosgrove has such a low ceiling. He has all the physical attributes and even a bit of pace. I know his touch could be better at times but its an area he could easily get better at. I would say hes like a better version of Josh Magennis, and look how well hes done.

He's a better footballer than Josh Magennis. His touch is generally pretty decent but his concentration is poor, which is why he looks to have a bad touch. He's clearly very capable of bringing a ball down quickly and with great effect but he's often remonstrating with himself and the ref (much like Magennis did). He doesn't have the pace and direct battering ram approach of Magennis however and I doubt he ever will. That lack of athleticism restricts the level he could play at, but not to a ridiculous degree. Improve his concentration and temperament (I don't mean fouling, I mean focus) and he'll be a much better player.

Very hypothetical obviously but I don't think a club like Aberdeen will ever manage to sell on a left back for four or five million.  With players like that the best way for a club like ours to make money is resale clauses like might happen with Ryan Fraser.

In McKenna's case I can see us getting maybe £5M for him tops but then within another couple of years someone will buy him for silly money and we will cash in with the sell on.

Celtic are rumoured to be selling Tierney in the summer for £25million. And I don't think he is all that much better than Lowe...

My question was hypothetical in that I don't believe it will happen. However if Celtic are needing a left back???? There have already been rumours of sevco interest. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Celtic go for him as Tierney's replacement.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Celtic are rumoured to be selling Tierney in the summer for £25million. And I don't think he is all that much better than Lowe...

My question was hypothetical in that I don't believe it will happen. However if Celtic are needing a left back???? There have already been rumours of sevco interest. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Celtic go for him as Tierney's replacement.

You are absolutely right, I do not believe Tierney is much better either and also would not be surprised if they were interested in Lowe as a replacement.  It's just the move from Aberdeen (in theory) to another club that I don't believe would ever happen for more than a couple of million at most.  Celtic will be quite willing to shell out £4M-£5M for a player from Derby but we would never get that for a similar standard player.  You just have to look at how much we brought in for Johnny Hayes who had just been nominated for player of the year.  Teams just do not pay big money for players in Scotland outwith the Glasgow clubs unless the players are particularly exceptional.

McKenna will possibly be the exception and the fact that he has captained his country at such a young age may help that.

• 2 months later...

Expect much unsettling of Big Sam by the Weegie media linking him with moves away from Aberdeen prior to the closure of the transfer window.

Six goals in four European games, I guess is going to lead to speculation and they will just love throwing it our way.

Took a look at a Carlisle forum to see what they were saying about him and they seem to be under the impression that they have a large sell on clause and that his departure back south could be worth a not inconsiderable sum to them.

As an aside our scouting/recruitment of last few seasons has come in for a fair bit of criticism, but this is one that certainly seems to working.

Keep up the good work loon

With 2 more goals today wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of interest in Sam this week before the English window closes. That's 8 already in 5 games, 30 goal season ahead?

I'll also add, and I haven't been a huge fan of Sam, penalties are not a guaranteed goal. We lucked out with Rooney being excellent from the spot, so far big Sam has done the business there too. Credit due.

• 3 weeks later...

Please! Sell Cosgrove for anything about 500k. I think there’s very little between Cosgrove and main, and if Main is given the time and patience we gave Sam we’ll get similar results, especially if we give him penalties.

Saying that, they are both shite and I’d rather have Wilson up top. Means we have to change our style of play though which means DM has to coach and adapt. Would prefer this option if DM was a capable coach.

My preferred option though is to sell and sign two players, ideally permanent or alternatively loan. A forward and a creative number 10. If we can loan Maddison or Christie DM saw the need for that, surely he sees the need now.

Out of curiosity, who thinks Kyle lafferty is better than Cosgrove and main? Regardless of him being a cunt.

Please! Sell Cosgrove for anything about 500k. I think there’s very little between Cosgrove and main, and if Main is given the time and patience we gave Sam we’ll get similar results, especially if we give him penalties.

Saying that, they are both shite and I’d rather have Wilson up top. Means we have to change our style of play though which means DM has to coach and adapt. Would prefer this option if DM was a capable coach.

My preferred option though is to sell and sign two players, ideally permanent or alternatively loan. A forward and a creative number 10. If we can loan Maddison or Christie DM saw the need for that, surely he sees the need now.

Out of curiosity, who thinks Kyle lafferty is better than Cosgrove and main? Regardless of him being a cunt.

Wilson is absolutely fucking horse shite. We'd have change our style of play to learn how to play with ten men. Cosgrove has taken the close season to work hard and vastly improve his game in every area. Main is a shite Stevie May and wouldn't close to the same results as Cosgrove. Cosgrove is winning headers, taking the ball down and bringing others into play, tracking back, not making rash decisions at corners and appears to have actually learned how to shoot too.

Main hasn't been given a chance. Give him the chance and playing time Cosgrove got last year then judgement is fair, and I think we'd get similar return. However, I do think he's shite but we are jumping the gun. Don't think he's much different to Sam, and Sam looks shite much more often than he looks good. Your assessment of Sam is so inflated - he's inconsistent at all of what you say, plus he's still a red card waiting to happen far too often. Should score double what he does given the chances he gets too, and your comment about him learning how to shoot, that's a good one!

No fucking clue what is going on with Wilson. I have to assume coming from Man Utd he's one of our higher earners. Why sign him having had him for a year, then give him so few minutes? Much like Cosgrove, I'd like to see him given the starts and patience Cosgrove got before making judgement. He's not been great but gets such inconsistent playing time that's it's hard to get in any sort of rhythm. However, he has shown in glimpses that he's capable.

I think Wilson is better than Sam and Main but I still would rather have all 3 replaced by someone else.

When it comes to strikers they will always be judged on their goal record.

On that basis Cosgrove stands inspection and is bound to be on the radar of others.

No fucking way however should a guy with a record like his and with three years left on a contract be sold for £500k. Given the fact that Carlisle fans reckon they have a "substantial" sell on percentage then we ought to be seeking many times that number.

To be fair to Sam,weve created about 3 chances this season,and he's converted 9 of them.Pre Rooney,We were crying out for someone with a return like Sams for years,so am not going to complain about how he gets his goals for now

I also think he's a better footballer than we give him credit for,...I doubt he asks that we lump hopeless balls upto him.Quicken the tempo,get the ball on the deck, and try 2 up front,or at least experiment with it more often and see what happens.

ps anyone else noticed how the guests viewing figures go from normally 10s of viewers to suddenly mid hundreds of viewers and then back down again at different times of the day??

Curtis Main ( 27 ) Career Stats

Appearances - 288

Goals - 48

Sam Cosgrove ( 22 )  Career Stats

Appearances - 91

Goals - 31

Sorry LA, but there is a fair bit between them, Cosgrove is a much better Striker, in every way. To be honest, see until he has a direct partner, I think there will still be a lot of people that don't rate him. He is only 22, very raw, still learning and basically doing everything on his own. I think though, with a direct partner, you'd see a vast difference in what he brings to the game.

People that dislike him seem to forget that our game plan consists of him having to deal with aimless punts up to him, he's up there himself, he wins plenty of headers, nobody is running behind him, he controls pretty well with feet and chest, then brings others into play. I am not exaggerating when I say he's one of the best Strikers in the SPFL. 

• 4 months later...

Definitely no sell on clause. When he joined up the initial negotiations were to have him on a pre-contract to join up in the summer. It was Carlisle who were keen to do immediate business.....obviously they really didn't rate him at all......hence we paid £25k and got him in the January with no future sell-on clause.

Definitely no sell on clause. When he joined up the initial negotiations were to have him on a pre-contract to join up in the summer. It was Carlisle who were keen to do immediate business.....obviously they really didn't rate him at all......hence we paid £25k and got him in the January with no future sell-on clause.

Someone isn't telling the truth on this one.

Used to do a lot of business in Carlisle and keep in touch with folk down there.

One of my contacts is a season ticket holder and assures me the question was asked at a fans forum and the answer was YES and it is sunstantial

I am with you thoughTC, why when we had him on a pre contract would we agree to a sell on clause ?