Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

No idea how this ferguson boy will pan out but Hamilton do seem decent at spotting a midfielder so must be worth a risk. Couldn't give a monkeys whether he stops on of our "own" youngestes coming through - if any of them were good enough we wouldn't need to be signing Ferguson!

I see Mark O'Hara at Dundee is out of contract - worth a punt given how many midfielders we need? Haven't seen too much of him but always looked a bit of a goal threat any time I've seen him on telly.

Aye who would have thought this time last season Scott McKenna would have become the best thing to have happened to us this season. If we don't give these lads games we will never know. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye who would have thought this time last season Scott McKenna would have become the best thing to have happened to us this season. If we don't give these lads games we will never know.

This is the problem. Every game over the last few years has meant something - us qualifying for Europe, cup runs etc, all which bring in essential money. When do we get the chance to blood youngsters and give them a chance? These guys really do need multiple games to find their feet. McKenna got a game after we got gubbed by Motherwell in the cup, played very well so kept his place, got multiple games and the rest is history. I'd argue had he had an average to shit game against Motherwell he'd have been dropped and we may never have seen him again. He never excelled out on loan, we never saw McKenna coming. It's such a fine line.

Different point but we need the reserve league back replacing u20. These youngsters need to be playing against seasoned pros to prepare for the jump to the first team, not glorified youth football. Too big a step hence the major challenge.

This is the problem. Every game over the last few years has meant something - us qualifying for Europe, cup runs etc, all which bring in essential money. When do we get the chance to blood youngsters and give them a chance? These guys really do need multiple games to find their feet. McKenna got a game after we got gubbed by Motherwell in the cup, played very well so kept his place, got multiple games and the rest is history. I'd argue had he had an average to shit game against Motherwell he'd have been dropped and we may never have seen him again. He never excelled out on loan, we never saw McKenna coming. It's such a fine line.

Different point but we need the reserve league back replacing u20. These youngsters need to be playing against seasoned pros to prepare for the jump to the first team, not glorified youth football. Too big a step hence the major challenge.

It's a good point LA Don. We were always pap under McGhee and Brown, so playing youngsters was easy as it couldn't get any worse. We've not quite got the balance right though and there is a lot of time afforded to cunts like Maynard, Nwakali, Tansey and so on how simply aren't better than our youngsters but given time because they're "experienced". That type of dross just needs to be filtered out. Wright should be in for GMS tomorrow night, but definitely won't be, and so shouldn't appear on our bench. It's an evidenced mistake not sending Wright out on loan in January, and McInnes should be held to account by someone at the club for that decision. We should have targets in place for minutes played/experience gained which can be fulfilled by loan if necessary, so that McInnes is answerable to someone/something for his judgement on what should be a sellable asset.

Should've been told 6 weeks ago our contract offer was being withdrawn. If his talent matched his ego he woul have been worth keeping but he is an absolute bombscare. Would doubt he will get anything better than lower reaches of English League 1 or some unheard of club in the likes of Kazakhstan.

We need better going forward

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Thought last year was a massive summer for the club but this year a huge recruitment job is needed. 

We will probably lose:

O'Connor

Ball

Nwakali

Tansey

Christie

Stewart

McLean

Maynard

plus maybe Arnason and Rooney?

Reckon we need two central midfielders and a striker to go straight into the first team plus a bucket load of squad players to replace the above.  Can see McInnes persisting with Considine and Reynolds at left back again next season.

You are right, bug summer in terms of recruitment coming up and the recruitment has to be spot on this time.

I agree to CM's needed, possibly even 3 if we are to persist in using Shinnie at CM. Cover for both LB and RB needed unless we are going to allow some of the youngsters a chance in those areas. I am really hoping that we dont persist with Considine or Reynolds at LB as neither have the pace needed for that position. 

I would like to see Arnason stay, hes not starter but provides good, experienced cover at the back and hes is the type of experienced head we need behind the scenes also.

Striker is another position we need to strengthen, I imagine Rooney may move on, its clear he isnt in the first team plans whether Stevie May is fit or not

I just hope that we do get European football as I can imagine that McInnes's budget will be impacted by it.

Yes we have known about McGeouch for ages and we were interested in him but apparently he prefers signing for Coventry in English League 2. Or should I say, he prefers the wages on offer signing for Coventry. On the verge of a Scotland call up ana.

File this one under "not happening"

QPR CONSIDERING McINNES

Sky sources understand Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes is one of the names being considered by QPR to takeover from Ian Holloway at Loftus Road.

Holloway was sacked by the Championship club earlier today.

McInnes has qualified Aberdeen for Europe for a fifth successive season and can seal second spot in the Scottish Premiership again this weekend if his side equal or better rangers result in the final fixtures of the season.

He has previously rejected approaches from Sunderland and Rangers.

Former England manager Steven McLaren has also been linked with the QPR pos

One day they will get it right, law of averages.

ali crawford ? seen him tweet he is offski from hamilton

He went massively off the boil didn't he.  You don't really hear much chat about him rumour wise either and haven't for a while.  Makes me wonder what his attitude is like.  I would offer him a trial and see how he fitted in perhaps. 

He went massively off the boil didn't he.  You don't really hear much chat about him rumour wise either and haven't for a while.  Makes me wonder what his attitude is like.  I would offer him a trial and see how he fitted in perhaps.

Simply not good enough in my opinion.

Likely to make the step up to the likes of Partick or St Johnstone.

I reckon Crawford would be a good squad addition, not an automatic 1st choice, just part of the squad. But with Devlin & Ferguson here now, it would be odd to think our squad will have been added to with 3 Accies players. Therefore I doubt we will go for him.

On another note, I see a lot of chat on Social Media that Middlesbrough are are very keen on McKenna. Depends on how serious they are and what they'd be prepared to offer, but that wouldn't be a horrendous move for him should they meet our asking price and he wanted to go. Hope it's not true though, as would love him to stick around for another season or 2.

Also, no secret we need sitting midfielders, Mulumbu at Killie would be a good addition for the next season & note that Steve Clarke said this....

Clarke said. "I know he's loved his time up here in Scotland and he's been very important for us. "But if a bigger offer was to come along and Youssouf thought it was a better offer then I'd expect him to move on.

Now, maybe I am reading too much into that, but I could have sworn Clarke said months ago that Mulumbu would be going back to England, that to me seems like there's maybe been contact from a Scottish club, I'd hope if it was, then we would also ask that question.

Would you try to re sign Dominic Ball? Over the last 5 games I thought he played well - although I didn’t see the game today. Not a starter, but useful squad player? I think so.

I would take him personally, yes. Clearly improved when played in his correct position. But recently on record as saying he was really unhappy at lack of game time, and given that I would agree with you with him being a squad player, he'd unlikely sign on permanently.

I'm actually excited about this window, last summer I was more morbid due to the players that left, Hayes, McGinn & Jack etc... were always going to be really difficult to replace, just ask Adam Rooney, the player who has suffered the most! So we don't have that expectation this summer in terms of who we are replacing ( Kenny McLean aside )  & McInnes seems to have acknowledged he's not been clever enough in the transfer market. Could be a very exciting summer.

Who would you take next year, Stewart returning or Michael O’Holloran? Pretty much disappeared since going back to Ibrox after his loan spell but there’s a decent player there. Got a point to prove for being shunned at the Huns and I thought did pretty well at st Johnstone.

Who would you take next year, Stewart returning or Michael O’Holloran? Pretty much disappeared since going back to Ibrox after his loan spell but there’s a decent player there. Got a point to prove for being shunned at the Huns and I thought did pretty well at st Johnstone.

Just think he’s a dick for choosing them in the first place. Don’t disagree there’s a player there but I wonder about his attitude. Should have done very well with them.

Just think he’s a dick for choosing them in the first place. Don’t disagree there’s a player there but I wonder about his attitude. Should have done very well with them.

Given the fact they paid a decent fee for him and it is us, I very much doubt they would let him come to us without demanding a fair wedge for him, so that alone probably means it won't happen.

Agree sevco would want a fee from us for O'Halloran....probably not what they paid but at least 250k. Has hardly kicked a ball in 6 months.....I think we could pick up someone at least as good on a free so not for me....

Ball I think would be a reasonable squad player who I think Would be allowed to come to us on a free but stumbling block could be his wages....even at Rotherham he's likely to be on nearly double what we usually pay. FWIW I think he's a decent enough defensive midfielder and would be decent replacement for AOC. Just hope he never gets played at right back again he is as much of a liability there as Consi is on the left when faced with a pacy winger