Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

World’s best buttery

Lencarl

I'm getting donsdaft elgindon and 2 guests

Anyway, I have fancied going to Sicily for a while.

I had Sicilian neighbours for a while.

Nice couple, bloody hell could they argue though.

Still, I don't suppose you take up with a Sicilian quine for a quiet life.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mob must have finished off Thains branch, Sicily

Murdoch Allan took over Thains of George st.Used to have occasional coffee/lunch at that Gordon bakery.Another one goes  :frown:

Edit, aye canna see rocket on this page

Rockets in the sky, must be using some cloaking device

Aye, I knew that they had been bought over. Rolls have improved of late though.

They were bloody fine back in the day ( from round the back)

How can you nae find a decent rowie anymore, is possibly due to the fact there are no bakers anymore to work in whatever bakeries are left. I served my time as a baker and lasted 10 years, only so much shite shifts and shite pay a person can take and most of the guys I used to work ith have also left the industry.

I have a pack of rolls in front of me from Smiths of Huntly and you can tell right away the fat was mixed in to the dough using a machine.  >:(  They should have their food license taken away from them for that.

The Byron is a decent baker, worth a go, but not sure if they sell their stuff in any other shops, I shall find out as I think we need to support the bakers we hve left before all we are left with is fucking Greggs and Ross of Inverurie who are both equally shite and sell rowies which taste more like lumps of dough,.

• 2 months later...

Back to important matters after the World Cup....

After various coffee breaks over the last few months,whittled down the list to a top 3,and re-tested them again today at the same time 

Left - Byron bakery,Top - Breadmaker Rosemount,Right - Bruce o' the Broch

3509k.jpg

Bruce o the Broch wasnt as good as i remembered.Byron bakery very good again,but the Breadmaker won it today for size(about 1/4 bigger than the rest),and quality - light flaky buttery,with a wee bit of crunch(nae actually sure what the ideal rowie characteristics are,but my pref)  :thumbsup:

sq2uqw.jpg

ps worst one was fae a wee baker in Stoney.Type of rowie that when you picked it up at one side,the other would flop down.Also the smallest size around.Made in Dundee just to make it worse....

• 2 months later...

Buttery update  -  Dont normally go to Cognito,St swithin st for coffee,but the usual joint was closed so went in for our morning break.Wifie said she got her rowies from the Breadmaker,Rosemount which I'm a fan of.She heated them up in a panini press rather than grill or toaster.

Affa fine,noticed the difference.Melted butter on a slightly crispy and flaky buttery.Rather good coffe too.

Will relay any further important developments   

Lidl can be a'right but you really need to get yourself down to The Bread Maker on a Friday if you insist on your weekend rule.

Then up the the cheese shop on Rosemount Place.

That's the weekend sorted.

There's even still an Oddbins if you insist on paying too much for your wine.

• 2 weeks later...

Lidl can be a'right but you really need to get yourself down to The Bread Maker on a Friday if you insist on your weekend rule.

Then up the the cheese shop on Rosemount Place.

That's the weekend sorted.

There's even still an Oddbins if you insist on paying too much for your wine.

Went into the Bread Maker for the first time this morning in fact. Pancakes, Bacon and Maple Syrup hit the spot.

For wine, got a bottle of Puglia Primitivo from Lidl for cheap as chips. One of the best wines I've tasted for ages at any price.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Speaking of bakery products, I must say that the Lidl on Wellington Road has a splendid range. The wife is just back from there and because we don't have a Waitrose locally and the Fortnum & Mason online isn't immediate, we find we have to rub shoulders with the peasants and the common people from time to time, which is quite ghastly.

We only eat bread at the weekends but we can see from the state of you fat cunts who walk the streets that you live on carbs. Get yourselves to Lidl for at least some preservative-free products. I'm sure you will find them rather spiffing and better for you than your processed shite. Your life expectancy may increase by 3 or 4 more years, to almost 50.

Am a pretty fit loon,but continuing to allow myself the indulgence of butteries. The boy at the Grove is now selling 'Bruce o the Broch' butteries.Some days very good,crispy/flaky,....others on a par with an Inverurie based baker ?

no.1 these days is a griddle heated buttery(via the Breadmaker,Rosemount) with butter fae Cognito,st Swithin st. Breadmaker breads are fine too.Have to try the wee artisan cafe up the road there too

Edited by Elgindon

I made a fine sourdough yesterday (one for the other thread perhaps). Will make for great toast for today's lunch. I have to admit, I'm a decent cook, but I really struggle with ideas for lunches as someone who grew up on sandwiches. I make wraps most days (proper send, fae scratch) or flatbreads which allow for a broader variety of ingredients than her sandwich, but it's still a variant of the sandwich in effect. I should really consider swapping my big and little meals roon and make more effort at lunch, like they do on the continent.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I should really consider swapping my big and little meals roon and make more effort at lunch, like they do on the continent.

We never have two big meals in one day but since the wife retired and now that the eat out to help out is on, we have a good meal at lunch and either a very small bite in the evening or nothing at all if we had a couple of good courses at lunch.

Speaking of sourdough, or dough balls in particular, can you do the forum a favour? One of the mutant migrants from the hat joined up two weeks ago and nobody is taking him on. Ok it's difficult to given that 99% of what it posts is nonsense directed at me but after its sick reference to my wife in its first attempt at banter and jocularity, I'm ignoring it, as it knows. It's painful watching it post and I feel sorry for it but it's desperate for attention and it would be nice if someone can take him on and give him some polite and constructive exchanges.

You know the one. He follows the same formula as the children on the hat but incredibly, it's NOT a child, born in 1964! You know the formula, they make shit up and regurgitate it so often we wonder if they actually believe their own lies - Fabricate, Repeat, Believe. If you're still unsure, he's the one with a horrible username, well, horrible to me because I can't stand the monarchy (and Royal is something a hun might use) and the people on Deeside offend me, them being like the Edinburgh classes, anti-independence, pro Tory and English wannabes.

Give him some love. He's obviously hurting. It's quite disturbing watching a disturbed grown man investing so much energy to attempt to attack a poster on the internet. He might not have much else to do in his sad little life of course but by all of us continuing to let him make a cunt of himself unchecked, I fear for its future.