Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

World’s best buttery

Lencarl

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Aitkens are closing down and selling off their shops. Probably in protest at all these Dairylea Deviants.

Are they closing or just shutting up their shops outwith the main bakery?  The wifie at John Street gets fairly crabbit when you ask her what's happening.  She put a note on the door asking folk not to ask about the for sale sign as they haven't been told anything.

I don't think it's the Dairylees Deviants who have contributed to its downfall, probably folk going to Greggs, who should be investigated by trading standards over their claim to be a bakery.

Aye, the lassie in John Street was a bit miffed, they were told fuck all, the "for sale" sign just appeared.

Anyone who goes to Greggs should be shot as a weegie.

List of lost bakers includes

Murdochs

Duncans

Mitchell & Muil

Simmers

Crawfords

And that diznae include all the little "one shop" bakers that there used to be.

What was the one on East Merkland Road called?

The smell of the rolls coming out of the oven used to waken me up when I lived there.

There was a home baker on Rosemount Place until quite recently across from Skene Square School.

I grew up in Hill Street so it was pretty handy, although we used Murdochs mostly.

There was also a superb baker at the bottom of Raeburn Place (backing onto Baker Street)

I remember the road outside was slidey as fuck with all the flour mixed with rain.

Aye, the lassie in John Street was a bit miffed, they were told fuck all, the "for sale" sign just appeared.

Murdochs

Duncans

Mitchell & Muil

Simmers

Crawfords

The smell of the rolls coming out of the oven used to waken me up when I lived there.

There was a home baker on Rosemount Place until quite recently across from Skene Square School.

I grew up in Hill Street so it was pretty handy, although we used Murdochs mostly.

There was also a superb baker at the bottom of Raeburn Place (backing onto Baker Street)

I remember the road outside was slidey as fuck with all the flour mixed with rain.

Another was the wee Gordons bakery opp the DSS on Dee St last year,and Kelly of Cults had a fine bakery section.Was there a Strathdee bakery somewhere,and are Chalmers still on the go?

*Haha  -  just seen the new jam/dairylea/rowie changes in place of the the Simmie/Durrants.    :thumbsup:

Murdochs

Duncans

Mitchell & Muil

Simmers

Crawfords

That Baker was Kennedys. I served my time their.

Lows in Torry was another one which bit the dust. One of the Thains bought it and went bust after a few months, a real shame that.

Sunnybank Bakery was another one I remember.

The Copie Baker and AB Hutchisons are another two I remember.

AB Hutchisons, I would never have remembered that, fine baps.

Lows on Victoria Road did the best softies in town.

They were my daughters favourites when she was little.

We used to drive over to Torry every Sunday morning for Rolls, Softies and Sunday papers.

Chalmers is up for sale as well.

Used to live next door to the baker on Chapel Street, that was pretty good. Something something Ross I think it was called.

AJ or JG Ross I think, Used to go there for my dinner and t break piece when I worked in the garage at the top of the road.

Another baker I can think of is Strathdee.

Aye, Ross's on Chapel Street

Another baker that was worth a visit to the door beside the shop ( which was closed) late at night.

Not to be confused with the bloody awful Ross's baker from Inverurie.

It's been a shadow of it's former self in recent years.

The farmer's bakery or something wasn't it, or am I imaging that? Fine butteries fae there. Mine getting a few at 3am.

I mind the Famer's Bakery. My Gran used to stay in Farmer's Hall, not from it and I used to get a funcie piece when we visited on a Saturday. That is going back a long time. Not it is the office of an Accountant.

If I mind correctly Kelly of Cults used to have a shop up that way also.

Murdochs

Duncans

Mitchell & Muil

Simmers

Crawfords

I think the one in Raeburn Place was Stevie Wilson's, it all flats now, my granda worked there and my old man served his time in there, pretty sure it was taken over by Duncan's Bakery which was on St Machar's Road as they both moved to there. My granda had previously worked in Murdochs and that was far he met my grandma.

They all used to say "if you ever saw a rowie being made, you wid never eat anither een"

I worked in Duncans in Peterheid when I was a loon, used to deliver big trays o rowie's balanced on the front o the message bike, a stern test o yer cycling skills that was, I mind one morning a seagull shat ower me and the rowies, had to clean them up as best I could afore I delivered them. :D

I heard today that Aitkens is shutting down this week, apparently they just couldn't make the business viable any longer.

For a Torry loon like myself that is a crying shame, it only seems like yesterday I was scaling the fence around Torry Academy at playtime to be one of the first in line at Aitkens and secure myself a bug o brokeners for 5p. I just remembered that the Academy itself it shutting down in the summer too.  :(

I will get myself over and stock up in some of the finest wares before they shut, far more to Aitkens than just rolls, their custard slices are the stuff of legend as are their paradise slices. Their shortcrust apple pies, which come in the same shape and size as a normal pie are to die for and their pan loafs are exceptional.

They also sell the best Strawberry tarts in town also using Strawberries which are in season and nae tasteless shite which we get out of season and all year round.

The only baker left in Torry now is JG Ross of Inverurie and their stuff is minging. Greggs don't count as they are not a baker, they sell re-heated shyte made in Newcastle or some other shithole in England.

After the game yesterday and hearing the news about Aitkens I am fairly depressed today.

Fuck sake min, that's really depressed me.

The oil industry can get tae fuck but nae Aitkens surely.

I'll have to get myself one of these.

jrbbyq.jpg

That logo would bring a tear to a glass eye, a proper bakers shop.

Of course they are probably still suffering from the death of my ma 4 years ago, who did her best to feed us in our own body weight in aitkens goodies over the years and even more so when we left home.  She stayed next door to the bakery and when we visited you would be fed all your favourites until you could eat no more for a week.

Even David Bowies loon posted something about their demise. Apparently he stayed at Cornhill Court, or one of ths skyscrapers up cornhill way, with his nannies folks, who were from Aberdeen, when he was a young lad and knows all about Aitkens and loves a rowie. Whether that is with or without dairylee he wouldn't comment on.

Back in the day,Aitkens may have been up there,but I would guess bad management the last 10,15 years,or the owners knowing they were going to retire,has seen most of their shops(Aitkens) look a bit tatty these days.I see JG Ross has a big new shop across the road in Torry,so wouldna think it was a lack of potential trade

Got round to trying a couple of their rowies today and was a bit underwhelmed tbh.Mediocre.

Been trying various other rowies around town with the morning coffee.The wifie at the sandwich shop on esslemont Av was up their with the best,....but now her daughter(quite tidy),has taken over the shop,and replaced them with veggie rowies  ::).

Was in Herds the butchers the other day,and asked them who made their rowies,and was surprised to find they make their own  :eek:.....but I would suggest they maybe stick to butchering  :-\

Rowie results are in as follows,starting in last place - 

J G Ross  -  Just looked,didna bother buying...shite

Herds      -  Bland,floury

Chalmers -  Better,but mediocre

Aitkens    -  Average

Thains    -  Good

But the winner is.....

Bruce of the Broch  :wave:.Bit of a dark horse,but good generous,flaky rowie.Boy at the Grove(top loon) in Union Grove had them.He'll be using them permanently when Aitkens packs in