Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Could be a blessing for Clarke as he likes to show loyalty (for good reason). A few guys like McBurnie and McLean missing should give him a bit of room for trying some of the players that might change a game. McLean has been good enough, but he's not come on and turned things around in a game. Hopefully McBurnie will chin fleck in the run up to the tournament and he can get dropped too. The margins are so fine at these big tournaments you need to take risks on game winners. 

And they've included the uncapped Rangers RB who has made 14 first team appearances. I thought Clarke would have had the balls to ignore the media. I'm not saying he's not going to be good in the long run but is 14 games enough time to tell? Is there anything to say this kid is better than Calvin Ramsey? If one of our defenders gets crocked do we really want to rely on a kid who has this little experience. 

12 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

And they've included the uncapped Rangers second choice RB who has made 14 first team appearances. I thought Clarke would have had the balls to ignore the media. I'm not saying he's not going to be good in the long run but is 14 games enough time to tell? Is there anything to say this kid is better than Calvin Ramsey? If one of our defenders gets crocked do we really want to rely on a kid who has this little experience. 

EFA

Pandering to the new huns same as they pandered to the old ones. Absolute tokenism. I had to google him and I bet most folk out with the glasgow media bubble only know of him because of his lockdown breaches and Gerrard's subsequent comments. Can guarantee he wouldn't be there if the equally unworthy rat wasn't injured.

21 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Good to see Turnbull and Gilmour get the nod, both seem really exciting prospects but why not give them a cap or two before now. Reckless to just lump them in the final squad without even having played. 

Would expect them to play in warm up games to get some experience. Turnbull has looked better than Christie for the victims. 

53 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Good to see Turnbull and Gilmour get the nod, both seem really exciting prospects but why not give them a cap or two before now. Reckless to just lump them in the final squad without even having played. 

They're in because of injuries, so it seems fair enough. The Paterson one reeks a little given Palmer hasn't let anyone down. He's not even been great for the u21s in the games I've seen, so I don't think he's deserved it at all. Tokenism indeed. Thought Clarke was above that.

7 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Considine gets slated here so why would he be picked for the Scotland team.

That would be tokeinism too surely?

Not on my watch he doesn't. 

He's been consistently good again this season, solid and reliable and one of the few players showing any drive. 

But we're more than covered in his position and he only got drafted in when injuries occurred anyway, so it's no disgrace that he's not there (unlike Palmer). Once I kneecap several of the other defenders in the squad, the dons dream team defence will be reinstated for the England game with Andy scoring the 90th minute header.

10 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Considine gets slated here so why would he be picked for the Scotland team.

That would be tokeinism too surely?

Considine was picked because of injuries and playing the system, Clarke was/is using, at club level. Not because they picked a/some celtic player(s) so have to have an Aberdeen player in the squad too. The boy's played 14 SPFL games because Tavernier was injured and 4 U21 games. Until Gerrard came out to justify their appeal against the Covid breach bans (purely so he had a right back to play against the tims) had anyone described him as a generational talent?

You could even argue, (I wouldn't) that McCrorie was more deserving of a call up for RB. 

3 hours ago, baggy89 said:

You could even argue, (I wouldn't) that McCrorie was more deserving of a call up for RB. 

I would. Captained the u21s, regularly featured ahead of Paterson at right back too and played at least a season's worth of SPFL games more. In fact, a couple of years ago when McRorie was coming through at the scum there was already a clamour for him to be included in the Scotland squad. 

I don't think either player deserves a call up.

Under 21 squad for upcoming friendlies against Northern Ireland.

Scott Banks Crystal Palace FC
Kieron Bowie Fulham FC
Jack Burroughs Coventry City FC
Logan Chalmers Dundee United FC
Tom Clayton Liverpool FC
Robbie Deas Inverness CT
Josh Doig Hibernian FC
Ethan Erhahon St Mirren FC
Lewis Fiorini NAC Breda +
Cameron Harper Inverness CT
Kyle Joseph Wigan Athletic FC
Stephen Kelly Rangers FC
Brian Kinnear Rangers FC
Roddy MacGregor Inverness CT
Daniel Mackay Inverness CT 
Archie Mair Norwich City FC
Lewis Mayo Rangers FC
Josh McPake Rangers FC
Glenn Middleton St Johnstone FC ++
Zak Rudden Partick Thistle FC
Cieran Slicker Manchester City FC
Ewan Urain Athletic Club Bilbao
Stephen Welsh Celtic FC
Ben Williamson Rangers FC

3 hours ago, Jute said:

Under 21 squad for upcoming friendlies against Northern Ireland.

Scott Banks Crystal Palace FC
Kieron Bowie Fulham FC
Jack Burroughs Coventry City FC
Logan Chalmers Dundee United FC
Tom Clayton Liverpool FC
Robbie Deas Inverness CT
Josh Doig Hibernian FC
Ethan Erhahon St Mirren FC
Lewis Fiorini NAC Breda +
Cameron Harper Inverness CT
Kyle Joseph Wigan Athletic FC
Stephen Kelly Rangers FC
Brian Kinnear Rangers FC
Roddy MacGregor Inverness CT
Daniel Mackay Inverness CT 
Archie Mair Norwich City FC
Lewis Mayo Rangers FC
Josh McPake Rangers FC
Glenn Middleton St Johnstone FC ++
Zak Rudden Partick Thistle FC
Cieran Slicker Manchester City FC
Ewan Urain Athletic Club Bilbao
Stephen Welsh Celtic FC
Ben Williamson Rangers FC

Am I alone in thinking Deano might have been included ?

7 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Am I alone in thinking Deano might have been included ?

Yep, it's a kick in the teeth for him like. He's playing regularly enough that a call up is warranted, especially with some of the Huns in there who've barely made an appearance and the ICT players playing at a lower level. 

Campbell should definitely be there. Maybe a case for Calvin Ramsay and Jack MacKenzie. 
Was surprised at the inclusion of 6 huns until I saw the opposition. 
Daniel MacKay is apparently a hibs player now. 

Edited by baggy89