Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Nips_and_Tatties

Scotland squad

50 minutes ago, tup1 said:

The biggest compliment I can pay Clarke is that his team looks very much like Craig Brown's Scotland team. Very hard to beat.

McTominay at centre back and Fraser as a forward are good tactical decisions.

We don't even slightly miss Robertson. Or the tosser Tierney.

Two of the back five tonight play for Motherwell, one for Aberdeen. No way would previous managers have selected these players. They'd have gone for Glasgow based players who were half committed at best.

A good summation, totally agree. Especially the last bit. Since Strachan left, there seems to be a concerted effort to get Scottish based players involved. I wonder if they recognise that folk were losing interest in the Scottish granny championship no marks were getting a bit tiring. Good to see. The nation's league actually seems to have helped us in that regard. Also, it's good to see at least one or two stepping up directly from the u21s. It's never really been a route to the first team in the past.

• Like 1

I think Clarke has brought some stability, and focused on us being organized defensively, for sure. Credit as well due considering the withdrawals, we had Hanlon and Considine playing at the end today, never expected either in a Scotland jersey and neither let us down. I thought McTom was ok these past few games but I’m not really a fan of him at the back. And I agree, happy he’s giving Scottish players a chance, Motherwell Killie hibs, and us obviously ahead of some barely Scottish championship unknown.

I think our back 3 from today plus McKenna and cooper are our central defenders moving forward. I think we’ll see cooper-Gallagher-McKenna next month if fit. Not sure who I see as our starting right wing back, I suppose either ODonnell or Palmer? Obviously it’s Robertson on the left. McTom will move back to holding mid alongside McGinn, and probably Christie. Fraser and dykes certainly seem a partnership up top. Not a bad lineup and confidence is high!

Interestingly Clarke referred to Aberdeen’s 3 at the back as a factor in calling up considine. Wonder if Matty Kennedy would consider Scotland and right wing back, would rather have him in before O’Donnell. He was capped at Scottish youth level, has he played for Northern Ireland??

Edited by LA-Don

6 hours ago, LA-Don said:

I think Clarke has brought some stability, and focused on us being organized defensively, for sure. Credit as well due considering the withdrawals, we had Hanlon and Considine playing at the end today, never expected either in a Scotland jersey and neither let us down. I thought McTom was ok these past few games but I’m not really a fan of him at the back. And I agree, happy he’s giving Scottish players a chance, Motherwell Killie hibs, and us obviously ahead of some barely Scottish championship unknown.

I think our back 3 from today plus McKenna and cooper are our central defenders moving forward. I think we’ll see cooper-Gallagher-McKenna next month if fit. Not sure who I see as our starting right wing back, I suppose either ODonnell or Palmer? Obviously it’s Robertson on the left. McTom will move back to holding mid alongside McGinn, and probably Christie. Fraser and dykes certainly seem a partnership up top. Not a bad lineup and confidence is high!

Interestingly Clarke referred to Aberdeen’s 3 at the back as a factor in calling up considine. Wonder if Matty Kennedy would consider Scotland and right wing back, would rather have him in before O’Donnell. He was capped at Scottish youth level, has he played for Northern Ireland??

Think he has been in the squads for Northern Ireland but never been capped. He did play for Scotland up to U21 level.

This result puts to bed the argument that we can't expect to beat Serbia.

If we can beat the Czech Republic, twice, we can beat Serbia.

5 hours ago, tup1 said:

This result puts to bed the argument that we can't expect to beat Serbia.

If we can beat the Czech Republic, twice, we can beat Serbia.

I agree, definitely feeling a bit more positive about this now. Serbia are bottom of there nations league group, (even though you could argue its a harder group) so they won't be feeling as confident as we are at the moment.