Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Shankland. DM should be sacked alone for that one. Let him walk for free at a time we were starting to look to replace Rooney. Penalty box poacher that suites our style of play at the time perfectly. Not sure of his contract but if under contract will move from United for a million plus.

Shankland. DM should be sacked alone for that one. Let him walk for free at a time we were starting to look to replace Rooney. Penalty box poacher that suites our style of play at the time perfectly. Not sure of his contract but if under contract will move from United for a million plus.

Shankland was pap for us and anyone who claims we were wrong to punt him is wrong. It wasn’t even our getting rid of him that sorted his attitude out, it was when Morton ditched him that he finally realised he was wasting his career.

Shankland was pap for us and anyone who claims we were wrong to punt him is wrong. It wasn’t even our getting rid of him that sorted his attitude out, it was when Morton ditched him that he finally realised he was wasting his career.

Don’t agree with you. Never given a real chance. If we’d given him the time and patience we gave Cosgrove we may have found a player.

We've all heard the history about Shankland and his fitness and his attitude etc.

And unless we were there, working with the lad in his formative years, we can never know.

What we do know is that he's turned into a player. We also know that a good manager recognises potential and inspires young talents to work hard. That's assuming they want to work and have the requisite desire to succeed. Some develop later and only put in the effort when they realise that they have to, and some of those only realise when it's too late. At 24, there's no doubt Shankland is a late bloomer. The speculations of his history over the last 7/8 years, fuck knows.

• 4 weeks later...

Squad for Cyprus and Kazakhstan games.

Goalkeepers

Craig MacGillivray (Portsmouth)

David Marshall (Wigan Athletic)

Jon McLaughlin (Sunderland)

Defenders

Liam Cooper (Leeds United)

Michael Devlin (Aberdeen)

Declan Gallagher (Motherwell)

Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)

Stephen O’Donnell (Kilmarnock)

Liam Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday)

Andrew Robertson (Liverpool)

Greg Taylor (Celtic)

Midfielders

Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)

Ryan Christie (Celtic)

John Fleck (Sheffield United)

Ryan Jack (Rangers)

John McGinn (Aston Villa)

Callum McGregor (Celtic)

Kenny McLean (Norwich City)

Scott McTominay (Manchester United)

Forwards

Oliver Burke (Alaves)*

James Forrest (Celtic)

Ryan Fraser (AFC Bournemouth)

Oliver McBurnie (Sheffield United)

Steven Naismith (Hearts)

Lawrence Shankland (Dundee United)

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, tup1 said:

I don't like the cut of McBurnie's jib.

He's acting like Steven Fletcher used to. Clarke should cut him loose.

I think that's harsh on Fletcher. I seem to remember Scotland dicking him about before he did the dicking in return. I'd actually have him in the squad even now, just because of the lack of options. I agree regarding McBurnie. Lad's got issues. He's also been pish in every single minute he's played for us.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I think that's harsh on Fletcher. I seem to remember Scotland dicking him about before he did the dicking in return. I'd actually have him in the squad even now, just because of the lack of options. I agree regarding McBurnie. Lad's got issues. He's also been pish in every single minute he's played for us.

I think Dykes is the man to lead the side, I like his attitude, he’s determined and wants to succeed.

Mcburnie thinks playing for Scotland is shite, he even got caught saying it. He’s an Englishman basically. Also a hun cretin. I don’t like him at all.

16 minutes ago, tup1 said:

I think Dykes is the man to lead the side, I like his attitude, he’s determined and wants to succeed.

Mcburnie thinks playing for Scotland is shite, he even got caught saying it. He’s an Englishman basically. Also a hun cretin. I don’t like him at all.

I think Dykes is average. I'd put him at about the level of Steven Thompson (pre-St Mirren). Mid table championship. Nae quite got the skill of a Fletcher, but strong and good with his body. But I'd have him in the starting 11 for the reasons you state too.

I think Dykes has a lot of potential. He did very well for QOS and Livingston.

I think in a couple of years we will be saying thank goodness he chose Scotland and not Australia.

McBurnie I have never seen play well, I've no idea why he commands the huge transfer fee, which is something else he has in common with Fletcher.

You could be right like, I just didn't see too many avenues into which he can grow. Already he seems to be an intelligent player, his strength is good, but I don't see his pace improving, which is a big deal for me, and one I think will set him apart from other international strikers. Despite a decent return at Livingston, he wasn't at the level of a Rooney (or Shankland perhaps...remains to be seen) in terms of timing of runs into the box and getting in front of the defender. He's that sort of in-between type striker who doesn't really stand out for one reason or another (like Brophy), but he's got a bit of grit about him that will hopefully make up for that. I was being reasonably complimentary when I compared him to Thompson, I think he was an intelligent player. I think Scotland will need better than Dykes, but at the moment we don't have better, so hopefully we get him out there and give him the opportunity, rather than trying to shoehorn Christie or McGinn or someone else in there.