Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

We were really good tonight.

Only managed to see the whole of the second half.

Why oh why didn't we have or choose these players before now?

What a total difference in the last 3 games.

And although there are many scenarios which could've gone our way or against us, Slovakia scoring on 81 minutes is a bastard.

Not defending properly (I blame Craig Gordon for that) with that Kane goal was inexcusable.

However, we are still in this.

If Slovakia draw or lose against England, it makes for a tantalising finish.

Could end in heartache but it's still very interesting.

I think we should beat Malta and Slovenia away.

We need to exact revenge on Slovakia and get right into them.

I just hope all is not lost before we go into the last 2 games.

I thought Matt Philipps on the left wing always great. Looks like Anya has lost his position ( though he's been played right back in the last 2 games)

Robertson is utter class. What a future at Liverpool and Scotland.

Tierney really good.

Even Berra and Mulgrew looked good but still prone to stupid errors.

This is a new look team with plenty talent.

Scotland looking like a great unit at the moment.

And although there are many scenarios which could've gone our way or against us, Slovakia scoring on 81 minutes is a bastard.

Not defending properly (I blame Craig Gordon for that) with that Kane goal was inexcusable.

We haven't earned the luck in this campaign. If we're going to do it, it has to be all our own doing now. The Slovak draw was a bit unfortunate like. Assuming they lose against England (although they are gash at the minute), then that could have allowed us to go into the final game with a 4 point gap (again, assuming we beat Slovakia, which is our only option at present). However, it would also have allowed us to draw against Slovakia at home and still have a chance of qualifying. It's that sort of position that Scotland fuck it up in (call it Alex Smith syndrome). When everyone knows that you need to win, but a draw wouldn't be the end, is when we inevitably get the draw and go into the final game in the wrong state of mind and end up losing, and glorious failure ensues.  Ironically, Strachan's earlier incompetence has left us in the best possible position for Scotland to be in. We just need to go out and really take it to Slovakia* and go all out for the win. If we win that, then the confidence will be sky high for the final game, against a team who will likely already be out with nothing to play for, there for the taking.

*I'm taking for grant(Hanley)ed that we'll tank Malta.

We haven't earned the luck in this campaign. If we're going to do it, it has to be all our own doing now. The Slovak draw was a bit unfortunate like. Assuming they lose against England (although they are gash at the minute), then that could have allowed us to go into the final game with a 4 point gap (again, assuming we beat Slovakia, which is our only option at present). However, it would also have allowed us to draw against Slovakia at home and still have a chance of qualifying. It's that sort of position that Scotland fuck it up in (call it Alex Smith syndrome). When everyone knows that you need to win, but a draw wouldn't be the end, is when we inevitably get the draw and go into the final game in the wrong state of mind and end up losing, and glorious failure ensues.  Ironically, Strachan's earlier incompetence has left us in the best possible position for Scotland to be in. We just need to go out and really take it to Slovakia* and go all out for the win. If we win that, then the confidence will be sky high for the final game, against a team who will likely already be out with nothing to play for, there for the taking.

*I'm taking for grant(Hanley)ed that we'll tank Malta.

I fear the 'Alex Smith Syndrome' is still alive and well.

Depending on the scorelines 2 Scotland wins along with 2 Slovakia defeats could mean going into the last game in Ljubljana with the chance a draw would be enough. (2-0 England, 5-0 Scotland, 2-0 Scotland = Scotland +9 vs Slovakia +2 goal difference.

I fear the 'Alex Smith Syndrome' is still alive and well.

Depending on the scorelines 2 Scotland wins along with 2 Slovakia defeats could mean going into the last game in Ljubljana with the chance a draw would be enough. (2-0 England, 5-0 Scotland, 2-0 Scotland = Scotland +9 vs Slovakia +2 goal difference.

I could be wrong, but I think the results against the bottom team (Malta) don't count. That would mean our goal difference would be pash, given our 3-0 loss to Slovakia previously.

Very true tom

Ive looked at all scenarios.

And even if we got 2nd spot, we have to rely on other teams in other groups getting less points.

Ive always said i thought we had a good chance even when every game was a must win...so the media kept saying.

Like i said...the now team is another world away from what we have been witnessing in the first few games.

I could be wrong, but I think the results against the bottom team (Malta) don't count. That would mean our goal difference would be pash, given our 3-0 loss to Slovakia previously.

I believe the removal of the bottom team results is only used to determine the 2nd place teams that go into the playoffs. All goals scored in the actual group stages count towards your final position.

At the moment Group E is apparently missing out on the Playoffs

I believe the removal of the bottom team results is only used to determine the 2nd place teams that go into the playoffs. All goals scored in the actual group stages count towards your final position.

At the moment Group E is apparently missing out on the Playoffs

Correct

Better performance last night. Thought Robertson, McArthur and Phillips were the standouts. Forrrest was only negative. Cannot understand why he keeps getting picked. Draw against Lithuania at home is even more annoying now.

Theres also this scenario which favours us too.

Slovakia beat england which is possible.

Slovenia beat lithuania.

Slovakia 18 pts

England  17pts

Scotland 14pts

Slovenia 14pts

We still play slovakia and england play Slovenia next.

England would have to beat slovenia at wembley and lithuania away.

Not a certainty.

We must win last 3 games but its by no means over for any of the top 4 yet.

Theres also this scenario which favours us too.

Slovakia beat england which is possible.

Slovenia beat lithuania.

Slovakia 18 pts

England  17pts

Scotland 14pts

Slovenia 14pts

We still play slovakia and england play Slovenia next.

England would have to beat slovenia at wembley and lithuania away.

Not a certainty.

We must win last 3 games but its by no means over for any of the top 4 yet.

If Slovakia beat England at Wembley on Monday, its not favourable for Scotland. That's dumb. Because we would have to rely on Slovakia not winning their other game.

Slovenia are now irrelevant to Scotland in terms of what else they do, as we have to win all 3 inc. beating them. It's very simple. Beat Malta, Slovakia don't beat England, all in the capable hands of Strachan and McGhoo.

Its certainly not guaranteed for england when slovakia need to beat england on monday.

England were booed and were only beating Malta 1-0 up to 85 mins.

And slovenia could still potentially beat england possibly. I dont think they will but england are by no means certain to qualify yet.

Slovenia are still relevant to the table IF england are beaten by slovakia.its certainly not dumb.

I should have said it could potentially favour us.

Obviously, we need england to win or draw against slovakia.

Just putting up the scenario.

It's not mathematically certain that England will qualify but it's as good as guaranteed that they won't fail to. They're not sitting top of the group by accident. Look at their footballers. Ok their managers a coo's arse but they have more than enough quality to get 4 points from their last 3 games which puts them above Scotland, and that's sssuming we can get 9 points which is even less likely than England failing to get 4.

The ONLY thing that Scotland wants is control of their own destiny. The only way that can happen becomes apparent with the results of two games on Monday. As I said, very simple scenario.

Its not simple at all.

What makes u think england will win the group so easily at the monent.

We shouldve beaten them at hampden and theyre only 2 points ahead of a very good 2nd spot team.

Its not as simple as u think.

That could change after monday night but nothing is guaranteed when Slovakia are good enough to nick a win or a draw at wembley.

I think england will win and hope they do of course for our sake.

Its not simple at all.

What makes u think england will win the group so easily at the monent.

We shouldve beaten them at hampden and theyre only 2 points ahead of a very good 2nd spot team.

Its not as simple as u think.

That could change after monday night but nothing is guaranteed when Slovakia are good enough to nick a win or a draw at wembley.

I think england will win and hope they do of course for our sake.

It IS very simple for Scotland. We need to win 3 games. But that won't be enough if two teams finish ahead of us and the only way this can happen is if Slovakia beat England.

I never said England will win the group. I hope they don't get beat by Slovakia for the sake of Scotland but I said they WILL qualify, which 4 points guarantees for them, whether 2nd to Slovakia or otherwise.

The only thing Scotland wants is to qualify. It is not in their own hands if Slovakia win at Wembley. Very simple maths.

You're obviously not from Aberdeen. You may be soft southern shite.

The comments you posted were ridiculous and absurd. I didn't post them. You did.

Don't shoot the messenger. Your stupid bias was that a team with 6 Celtic was a bad thing.

Your logic was flawed. The result proved the spasticness of your position.

Either there's an entire fishing fleet in your post, or you need to tone down the scattergun vitriol in your posts when you encounter a view you don't agree with, as you are (rightly or wrongly) coming across as a bit of an angry self-righteous dick.

My issue wasn't that the team came from Celtic specifically, but that the impression given was that the players were being picked as a ready-made block from one team rather than on individual merit - that doesn't send a great message to Scottish players in other teams. 

However, as i get the impression that a measured response is unlikely and you seem determined to hijack what was a general observation made to all, i'll just leave it there.  :thumbsup: