Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scottish Cup Final - Dons vs Tims

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to the internet. Great ball from Hayes.

e836n6.png

I think Hayes fancied the chance himself, saw McLean, hesitated a second too long and made the pass which he did.

I thought it was a McLean screw up, at first, but I cannot blame him, just one of them things. Hayes has done too much for us in the jersey to deserve any sort of stick, IMO and I am sure he feels bad himself.

Bollocks. Your images above miss the key moment. The first shows McLean when he receives the ball, your second shows a jumpy image when he was square and then when the ball reached (behind) him. Show the video in real time and you can see there was a gap for the pass. Hayes does hesitate as TheDeeDon says. It's just a slight misunderstanding between two players who've run the length of the park to get on the end of something. Your nonsense about McLean doesn't stand up to even simple scrutiny. He had two or three attempts on goal, coming to meet at least two corners with his head. Neither of which he hid from, clearly, or else he wouldn't have got the attempts away. You can accuse McLean of lots of things (being a fanny in the tackle perhaps), but he never hides. He's constantly shouting for the ball and making himself available. If anything, he has too many attempts on goal too. 

Bollocks. Your images above miss the key moment. The first shows McLean when he receives the ball, your second shows a jumpy image when he was square and then when the ball reached (behind) him. Show the video in real time and you can see there was a gap for the pass. Hayes does hesitate as TheDeeDon says. It's just a slight misunderstanding between two players who've run the length of the park to get on the end of something. Your nonsense about McLean doesn't stand up to even simple scrutiny. He had two or three attempts on goal, coming to meet at least two corners with his head. Neither of which he hid from, clearly, or else he wouldn't have got the attempts away. You can accuse McLean of lots of things (being a fanny in the tackle perhaps), but he never hides. He's constantly shouting for the ball and making himself available. If anything, he has too many attempts on goal too.

Right against Brown's heel? Still would have been behind McLean running flat out when Hayes isn't moving forward.

kzxE1ZU.gif

XUL3YHP.png

I'd say your picture and video there says it all. About 1 metre between the ball and Brown's foot with the pass from his left foot obviously bending towards - or into - the six yard box. Hayes hits it almost directly square. Still McLean nearly gets there. Any striker would tell you that the six yard line was where to hit it in that case, it gives them the minimum opportunity to fuck it up, they just have to direct it goal-ward. Just to clarify, I'm not having a go at Hayes here, he'd made a hell of an interception and run and was just unlucky. Just think yer assertion about McLean is entirely wrong and by the way you stated your case sounded more like a hatred of player rather than an objective view of the incident.

Agree with Rico,you want the fault to be MacLeans too much.Johnnys probably more at fault,but maybe trying too hard to keep the ball away from the keeper. Maybe a touch of cup winner panic set in,who knows,but MacLean pretending to try??  Come on....

The reason we didn't go 2-1 up in that move was 100% down to McLean.

What was he thinking? Did he want to knock it in from being even closer to the keeper? He forgot to stop running. He had already created enough space to be found and he was found, in the tolerance of space where he should have been.

It was a bad error but let's face it, he's not a superstar and he's like every other footballer who gets paid a fraction of what the best footballers do, which is why he's at AFC.

It was gut wrenching at the time but at least AFC proved that ra sellic aren't the invincibles that they were gloating about so disgustingly. The boys done well. The manager fucked it up. Again.

What was he thinking? Did he want to knock it in from being even closer to the keeper? He forgot to stop running. He had already created enough space to be found and he was found, in the tolerance of space where he should have been.

Nit. Look at the last video put up by Jess. That pass should have been dead on the 6 yard line, that's where Rooney would have run and so would every other good striker. You want to just stick your foot out and prod it goalward with as little to do as possible. Not have to control it and be faced with an on-rushing 'keeper. McLean should have been in a position where he had nothing to think about other than connecting with the ball. There's a gap of about 1 metre past Brown's foot when he's at full stretch, there was heaps of room to pass that into. He's almost played it square. If it had been 7-8 yards out (that'd be the tolerance here), McLean would still have been able to adjust his feet and get a shot away, but it was near on 10 yards out. That would have meant him stopping completely and probably having to take a touch. I'm nae having it, a square ball with that much room to play it wasn't right.

Nit. Look at the last video put up by Jess. That pass should have been dead on the 6 yard line, that's where Rooney would have run and so would every other good striker. You want to just stick your foot out and prod it goalward with as little to do as possible. Not have to control it and be faced with an on-rushing 'keeper. McLean should have been in a position where he had nothing to think about other than connecting with the ball. There's a gap of about 1 metre past Brown's foot when he's at full stretch, there was heaps of room to pass that into. He's almost played it square. If it had been 7-8 yards out (that'd be the tolerance here), McLean would still have been able to adjust his feet and get a shot away, but it was near on 10 yards out. That would have meant him stopping completely and probably having to take a touch. I'm nae having it, a square ball with that much room to play it wasn't right.

Perhaps you've never played the game at any decent level? Maybe you've been a fan all your life?

And we know how fixated and opinionated they can be.

There's no point debating further. We will never agree. One of us is right and one is wrong. Not sure how we're going to arbitrate. Nor do I really care.

Looking at the video posted, it was clearly Hayes' fault for not putting a little bend on the ball or playing it 1 or 2 yards in front of McLean especially given the backtracking Celtic defender behind McLean.

Just one of those things I guess.

We could deliberate on quite a few moments in the match where we didn't take our chances...and remember, we have enough in the first half especially.

I find it hard how anyone could criticise what was a brilliant performance by our team but if I were to say anything, it would be not taking McGinn off earlier and putting an in form confident Wright on.

We beat them first half in terms of everything.

Ran out of steam and their millions upon millions of team value showed in the end...JUST.

Still a bastard to take though.

I would say 'forgot' as well if I hadn't been standing in the lower section of the away end at Parkhead on more than one occasion looking at McLean standing directly behind the defender, then the attacker (Rooney/Hayes) hasn't passed to him and he screams as if he was desperate for the ball. Must have done it elsewhere too, but I specifically remember going ballistic at him at Parkhead for it.

Knew what was coming when I saw it was him in the middle at the game.

He narrowed the angle for Hayes from about 45 degrees to a frame on the video you can spot a metre behind a trailing leg. Not getting over that for a long time.

We were also completely fucked by not having someone up front who could hold the ball up for 3 seconds. Any breather at all before another Celtic attack or to get it further up the field. Rooney and O'Connor was a death wish. It was a mullering. Storey, if he'd done nothing but chase the ball down and stop them choosing their next avenue of attack, would have been better. Pawlett could have done it. Wright could have taken the ball for as long a run as he could every time it came out. End result was Rogic going past a team with no coordination left.

Perhaps you've never played the game at any decent level? Maybe you've been a fan all your life?

And we know how fixated and opinionated they can be.

There's no point debating further. We will never agree. One of us is right and one is wrong. Not sure how we're going to arbitrate. Nor do I really care.

I'm ace at fitba.

I knew at the time of missing that golden chance that the cup was going to the Howkers. Usually "making a game of it" isn't good enough for me and it shouldn't be good enough for our club but having said that I left Hampden on Saturday bursting with pride (nae pies for once although I did have a pie) and that's been an all-too-rare feeling over the years as a Dons fan. Had the same feeling at Ibrox 2 long weeks ago.

The display was excellent. That will absolutely have given our players a lift. Well done to all involved.

We didn't play the game perfectly. Players and management made mistakes. Made all the more clearly with the benefit of hindsight. Shinnie is the fucking captain and has been most of the season. I feared another pea-hearted performance like the League Cup final but this was an infinitely better performance. Probably the best we've played in a cup final for decades. How did we play in 1990? We played better than when we won the League cup 3 years ago. We played better than when we won the League Cup in 1995 and definitely played better than we did in all or other cup final appearances since 1990. (1995 being the first one that I remember).

It's a shame Taylor can't play like that every week. I really hope the manager stays because I'm nae for Tommy Wright or John Hughes with is IQ of sixty shree.  :hammer:

Season ticket renewed. Looking forward to a break from football as everyone else will be. Hopefully we get in some quality for another crack at it all again next season.