Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer transfer window

He is injury prone.  Never played much after his first spell at Celtic.  Must be something about his fitness or well being.

But he is on bench for Hull City often enough so he must be fit.

Doesn't matter - we need experience.  Give him a 2 year deal with add ons. Take him on for the last 15 minutes of games to change things and put free kicks into the box. 

Brilliant at free kicks, very good at corners, very good at crossing.

Just a shame football matches are 90 minutes long and nae 15 eh.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubting his ability, he is very good player but I can't help to think that he's too injury prone.  If the naysayers put an end for the new stadium and training then he'll never last with the current training facilities.

It could all be speculation and nothing in it.  He is an experienced international and is not going to struggle for offers.

2000–2007 Celtic 104

2007–2008 Aston Villa 30

2008–2011 Celtic 54

2011–2015 Wigan Athletic 79

2015                 Chicago Fire 14

2015–         Hull City 28

For a guy who has been playing football since 2000 he has less than 300 career appearances.  Clearly issues. As far as I'm aware (people who played with him at Albion Boys Club) he's a very quiet guy.

Clearly top player, but what is alternatives??  Alternatives are Jeffrey Monakana or Josh Parker type daft waste of money signings.

You can't turn down players like Maloney if they become available.  Maybe he wants to be back in Aberdeen - for family reasons.

He doesn't need the money - McGinn is defo leaving so they need a replacement of similar calibre.

I have to assume Maloney would be an expensive signing. Maybe we go for Kenny Miller and Clint Hill too? There's no question there's ability and experience, but we're not an inexperienced team. I'd rather we spent the money on Devlin, Lindsay, Mallen, Christie, Mackay Steven etc., guys who are improving and maybe sold on for a pretty penny down the road.

If Maloney comes on the cheap as a squad player then that's fine but he's not going to replace McGinn, too old, fitness will be an issue, and on the downward side of a strong career.

Kenny Miller has already signed for Rangers again.  Why anyone would doubt Miller is also incredible.  If you watch him he is the best player they have.  He is the captain, best player they have, scores goals and creates goals.

Maloney is 34 and is on bench for Hull City in Premier League - so must be fit!

We only offer £1k - £3k a week.  They won't be breaking bank for him.

It could all be crap anyway - they have been linked with him in the past.

Maloney is 34 and is on bench for Hull City in Premier League - so must be fit!

We only offer £1k - £3k a week.  They won't be breaking bank for him.

The average weekly salary for Hull players in Nov 2016 was £23k.  Somehow i don't think he'd come up here to play for 3 grand.

There are numerous examples of players coming to Aberdeen and SPL after a big salary elsewhere.

Barry Robson being one, Hartley another. 

For what its worth I agree with you and would say its hard for Aberdeen to put together a package to attract Maloney but he ain't getting a new deal in English premier league I'd doubt at 34.

He is from Aberdeen and grew up in Aberdeen so its a different kettle fish.  Maybe £3k a week is what he would be happy with rather than some dumb deal at Blackburn or Doncaster.

There are numerous examples of players coming to Aberdeen and SPL after a big salary elsewhere.

Barry Robson being one, Hartley another. 

For what its worth I agree with you and would say its hard for Aberdeen to put together a package to attract Maloney but he ain't getting a new deal in English premier league I'd doubt at 34.

He is from Aberdeen and grew up in Aberdeen so its a different kettle fish.  Maybe £3k a week is what he would be happy with rather than some dumb deal at Blackburn or Doncaster.

Robson came from League 1 Sheffield Utd in 2013, and Hartley came from mid-Championship Bristol City in 2010, neither were likely to to have been on a high wage or taken a substantial pay cut.

However, BBC giving some mileage to the Maloney story now, so maybe we are splashing the cash (or trying our luck  ;D)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39856370

I don't see Maloney being a cheap signing if there is any truth to this. As a club with limited finances I'd like us investing more wisely in younger players who can play longer and may also bring us future transfer fees. Just my opinion!

A pal of mine went to school with Maloney and  she said he was a really smart kid. He's not shy of a few bob and might be keen to work  with DM, assuming of course he is still here next season. Getting a player like Maloney in would be great as long as we weren't paying him to much

Supposedly its all at an discussion stage i.e. talks with him.  McGinn is off.

I'd also like to see younger players given a chance but that is not going to happen at all under Derek McInnes the facts speak for themselves.

I wouldn't be playing the youths either when they're as fucking shite as our current crop.

Its the set up that is all wrong and fails to produce a range of players.

The U20 Development League and Youth Leagues are not fit for purpose.  Even Womens' Leagues are more competitive and better organised.

Until there is the re-introduction of reserve football or competitive B teams the players will struggle to develop into the footballers they need to be.

But surely this is where the loan system comes into play? We seem to be utilising it quite well in terms of number of players going out. Or does the problem arise when a player can't be on the fringes of the first team and developing at the same time (because they can't be loaned and be on the bench)? That's also where B teams don't help in my opinion. We'd be far better loaning players to championship and league one than having a B team. Reserves is obviously the best because likes of Wright and Ross could be getting a more competitive game whilst waiting on appearances for the firsts. But is that the only point at which we're missing part of a player's development? Surely that can only be a small part, and there must be a bigger underlying issue?

Too many of them don't get to play against men until they are loaned out or thrown into the first team. They're playing against boys they've always played against, give or take. And those who are loaned out will generally be to lower leagues, so while it may toughen them up, there is a shortfall in quality that they're playing against and with. So it can be a learning curve on one hand, but actually detrimental on another.

The clubs are also forced to make a decision on these boys as soon as they're in their last year of u20s - promote them to the first team squad, or move them on. So those who may be late developers never get that chance to do so at a "big team", and those who may be borderline are probably more likely to be cut loose than kept on, depending on team's budgets etc.

We need a proper reserve league.

Sent my opinions on the u20 league before. Waste of time. The reserve league was much more productive at helping boys become men and preparing them for the first team.

Back to the initial point - I was not suggesting we give youth a chance, that's a totally different issue. I was saying I'd rather see us spend money on younger players that can develop and shine for years, much like Shinnie and McLean. Maloney is not Barry Robson who can sit in the middle of the park and spray passes, his game is based on speed and creativity - does he still have speed at his age? He's also a little guy who will get beat up at times and that takes its toll. How much will we get out of him and for how long? McGinn was here for 5 years, I'd like him replaced by someone who'll be here a while too.

Guys like Mallen, Lindsay, Devlin, Christie, Mackay Steven etc. are a better investment to me. A different type of risk to Maloney but a much bigger upside.

The reason why Scottish youngsters are shite is quite simple. The gene pool isn't big enough. The grass roots have never been weaker. It's easy to point the finger at the people who are in charge of the game - cos they're all useless fuds (and it takes a certain kind of wanker who wants to work in quangos) - but when the volume of kids playing football has contracted alarmingly, the quality coming through is bound to be worse. It's the same in golf.

Lindsay looks like he's off south, but Devlin and Christie would be good signings.

I also think the Scottish game is much weaker for lack of a reserve league.  The SPL is at the financial level where most teams have to take massive punts (or something similar sounding in Sevco's case) in the transfer market, and so tend to gamble on less consistent or proven players in the hope that they improve on the poor form that made them available/cheap in the first place.

Aleternatives to the 1st team being restricted to season-long loans or U20 development means the Storeys, Stockleys and Pawletts of this world either get thrown straight into the 1st team to sink or swim, or get occasional 15 minute cameos to try to justify more starts.

However, a reserve league gives not just the youngsters, but also the older fringe players a regular outlet to gain confidence or form.  Same applies to players coming back from injury or a poor run in the 1st team. 

It also gives the managers scope to experiment with formations or tactics in a competitive environment without penalty if they don't work.  Plus managers can employ reserves as humiliation for massively egotistical punts like Barton or Foster as both punishment for the player's indiscretions and entertainment of rival fans.

No-brainer for me.

Yeah, It is true that they (Hearts) have not got much money but neither most clubs aside from Old Firm due to having 40k season ticket holders each.

We won't be spending transfer fees but can offer decent wages and Europa League football which they cannot.

Supposedly Hearts spent £200k on pitch relaying couple weeks ago.

Basically they have 8,000 fans putting in direct debits each month to the club of between whatever £10 a month up to some donators signing up for £1000's a month - Foundation of Hearts thing.  That money is all guaranteed and secured by Budge who is a rich wifie and Chair.

They have put in place a coaching model with Levein at the top and it all filtering down to Cathro but its a shambles as Cathro is completely out of his depth.  He should be in charge of football operations (Levein role) and an experienced man should be in charge.

The building work on the new stand is way ahead and on track but funding isn't and there is a bit of a panic due to a £1m shortfall.  There is a hefty difference in finishing 5th and 2nd place. We get £2.4m and they (Hearts) will get 1.1m or something for finishing 5th.

Just this week lots of initiatives have been muted to raise the shortfall.  They will sell off part of the old stand (seats, bricks, chairs, benches, dressing room memorabilia etc) and try to raise money that way.

They wanted to seel 16k season tickets but won't.  I would doubt that they will sell out Tynecastle 20k every week.  No chance.  The 16k every week is a myth anyway - always gaps.

I would guess they have a lot of problems on their radar Hearts - masses of problems behind scenes football wise. The structure was a good concept but its not working. 

Supposedly, Cathro has offered to resign a couple of times at meetings with the board but they are all 100% behind him. 

Its not Cathro's fault.  He was a assistant coach and offered a 3rd deal to be the manager on big money.  He'll get sacked soon and go back to coaching but whoever put him in charge needs shot.

Not that I care - can't stand them as a club.

Why would any building contractor take on a project where 100% of the client money isn't in place before the work starts?

Hearts have a £1m shortfall on the new stand funding.  Finances were all signed with Hearts hoping for a top 2 finish.  They hoped to then sell 16k season tickets and increase number of FoH (Foundation of Hearts) debits to the club.

But they are doing badly and fans nae happy.  This means less season tickets sold, fans cancelling direct debit and finishing 5th means huge loss compared to 2nd.

When Cathro took over they hoped for 2nd or 3rd - the stand was all signed off.  They will now finish 5th.  For finishing 2nd we get £2.2m for finishing 5th Hearts get something like £1.2m.  That is more than a £1m gone in a puff of smoke.

Hearts are busily now trying various things to raise the shortfall - this week they did a £20 a head thing called 'meet the manager' where fans met Cathro and asked questions a bit like 'black and gold' thing.  I doubt this event raised a £1m but the club and FoH are now desperate and various other things are happening like selling bricks of the old stand upon demolition, selling old seats, signs etc etc which will raise a lot or auctioned them off.

The stand will be ready in 3 - 4 months. I guess the rich wifie Budge who is the chairman will guarantee funds for the stand and help out given shortfall.

It could be argued the model Hearts have in place is on a shoogly risky peg since 8,000 fans paying in money directly to the club (that is just a direct debit in as a gift) can cancel these direct debits at any time. They won't all cancel but couple of hundreds people pissed off with Cathro will mean loss lots of guaranteed money if they just cancel the direct debit.

They have 14k season ticket holders and that is expected to drop next season.

Aside from that its true, Hearts will not be able to match up to us in the transfer market. I'd presume given Cathro was appointed the model is to blend in youngsters.  But having said that neither they or us will be paying transfer fees iso ts just which club can attract better players to a more stable, happy prosperous club.

We are obviously a better team at the moment as they are permanently restrucuturing the team.

Why would any building contractor take on a project where 100% of the client money isn't in place before the work starts?

Construction industry is not the most reliable especially when the client is a football team. It took almost a decade for Halifax town to get their stand finished (and that was with them sharing with a superleague team). Port Vale still havent completed their 'new stand' which was started in 1999.

In my experience Contractor's will just keep working until the client stops paying the monthly valuations. Then its tools down & clear out time leaving a very expensive sculpture for neds, foxes & pigeons to play in.

Jambos new stand will match the other 3 stands. Cheap construction althoiugh as 100%AK says there is a 1 million minimum shortfall in funding as things stand and this figure will likely rise as they are meeting what has been described as "unforeseen difficulties".

Budge will cover said shortfall but will award herself extremely lucrative repayment terms from the club. Budgeting for European football next season and not finishing top 4 has significantly affected them and I don't think they will get anywhere near their 16K season ticket sales aspirations. Thus we should remain comfortably as the 3rd best paying club in Scotland for the forseeable future.

Wiggy has to back McInnes with some transfer funds so that we aren't left scrabbling around for pre contract signings only. When he sanctioned the McLean transfer it was undoubtedly a bit of a punt but it has proved a very astute one and Deek deserves the funding to add a couple of purchases when the window opens. 500k - 750k out of the European money we got is surely not too much to ask and would surely be sufficient to land Christie and Devlin.

Reckon striker has to be our number one priority this summer. With Stockley sent off again, I don't think we can afford to keep him, and obviously Storey has to go because he shite at football. Get rid of two and take in one. We're looking for someone that can keep Rooney on the bench I wid think, which would take a bit of doing. Need to keep the huns down where they belong and I think a good striker could do that. Obviously the McGinn replacement is a pretty big deal, but hopefully we'll have some cash (wages) to spend. Perhaps Christie on a permanent is the way to go.