Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Golf Thread

Tomorrow, Sunday, will be the 40th anniversary of my only hole in one

I've had three since then, and made sure to buy everybody in the clubhouse a drink afterwards.

The first was mid 80's at Carnoustie on a wet winter day, cost me less than a fiver.

The second was at Alford on a midweek afternoon, cost me less than a fiver.

The third was in a medal at my home club in St Andrews about 2005/2006. That cost me £21 as the custom is to put 3 x half bottles on the bar.

It's a monkey off the back, a rite of passage, the hole in one. Great feeling.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Wonderful Masters so far, great final day in prospect.  The Tiger effect in full flow, what a difference he makes to a tournament when he is in contention.  Sure it must be having an impact on the viewing figure here, not just in the US.

Got me thinking last night, with all the rule changes this year to get rid of some of golf's petty issues, why on earth do tournament pros have to keep their own scores when there is normally a referee nearby?  Must be the only sport in the world where this happens and where the prospect of winning could be jeopardised by putting the wrong number in a box.  Ridiculous in a sport where modern technology plays such a huge part.

Molinari produced one of the greatest rounds we've ever seen, relentlessly consistent and beautiful to watch. Ken Broon described it as the best he's ever seen at Augusta. One of my mates, who won on the European Tour back in the day said it was "Probably some of the best golf EVER been played in the history of the game".

This may be the most exciting Masters ever.

Switched to watching the golf the minute Celtic got their opener. Molinari scrambled well first 7 or 8 holes and with everyone else pretty much bogeying or worse after birdieing and getting close momentarily, looked like Molinari would stroll to a comfortable win. But it's all gone tits up for him in the last hour and after a double bogey on the short 12th, is no longer in the lead....Cantlay just birdied 15 to lead by 1. Oh and now joined there by Schauffele. Woods and Molinari 1 back. Glad I chose the golf looks like it could be an epic finish with the weather starting to worsen as I write.

This is the closest Masters in memory. With a number of Tiger's putts coming up short, it would be easy to say he's forgotten how to win or that he's happy to be in contention for the first time in a decade in a major but the simple truth is that's he's the best golfer this century, by miles. Fascinating last six holes awaits.

• 1 month later...

I hate Brooks Koepka with a passion. The US PGA is all over, just hand the prat the trophy now.

I hate Brooks Koepka with a passion. The US PGA is all over, just hand the prat the trophy now.

I don't get that. What the fuck?

After watching Tommy for all 18 yesterday, we cut across to the 7th and saw him and Tiger hit their approaches. Crowd was too big by then to bother watching their last two but 63, 65, the man is a golfing genius. The principal reason Koepka is prevailing in the modern game is that he's a man. He's got big balls. He's a strong muthafucker unlike the AFC chairman, the AFC manager and most of you AFC supporting pussy pieces of shit.

NYC is a zoo by the way. Full of Americans. And dodgy Oirish gypsy cunt fucks.

Not disputing his ability, terrific mentality as well, I just don't like him.

After such an exciting Masters a real shame this tournament has a shite leaderboard.

Loved how you got a moan about Stewart Milne into a golf thread though.  :laughing:

Before you state publicly that you "hate with a passion" a person who (presumably) you've never met, there are reasons for this.

You may be ignorant of these reasons. You might not know why you hate him as you don't understand yourself? It might be rooted in jealousy? Perhaps anyone who has supreme self-confidence offends you? Those with great courage may be the ones who prick your sensibilities?

Whatever the reasons, whether you know them or not, it was a bizarre thing to post.

How you could suggest that I would be jealous of a ripped, multi-millionaire that averages 308 yards off the tee is ridiculous.  ::)

Before you state publicly that you "hate with a passion" a person who (presumably) you've never met, there are reasons for this.

You may be ignorant of these reasons. You might not know why you hate him as you don't understand yourself? It might be rooted in jealousy? Perhaps anyone who has supreme self-confidence offends you? Those with great courage may be the ones who prick your sensibilities?

Whatever the reasons, whether you know them or not, it was a bizarre thing to post.

Glad you asked this question because it got me thinking and took a while to work out the reason for my irrational deep rooted hatred of Koepka.

Think it is more because of what he represents rather than the man himself if that makes sense.  To me he represents a changing of the guard in the game in that a lot of the golfers I grew up with are no longer dominating the sport.  Possibly that qualifies as jealously, who knows?  It is probably the reality of getting older I guess.  You see it a lot on this forum with people harping back to the 1980s and unwilling to let go of the past.

Secondly, he also represents the new breed of golfer that overpowers a golf course.  They are playing a course of nearly 7,500 yards yet this guy shoots 63, 65.  Golf is officially fucked.  Even if these modern players hit it off line they can still make the green as they are only hitting a 7 or 8 iron from the rough.  You are involved in the game Rocket, does that not worry you where we are going?  The art of shaping the ball seems to have gone, they are alll hitting it straight nowadays and seems to be that the possibility of a real maverick coming through and winning are gone.  We are only ever going to get a champion from a guy that can nail it 300+ yards off every tee and putt well. 

And he is a boring bastard too, not a hint of charisma.

How you could suggest that I would be jealous of a ripped, multi-millionaire that averages 308 yards off the tee is ridiculous.  ::)

Jealousy is the preserve of the sick. It's very simple in reality but it's not understood by most. This is because it derives from issues pertaining to the ego, self-loathing and envy being confused states of being.

Glad you asked this question because it got me thinking and took a while to work out the reason for my irrational deep rooted hatred of Koepka.

Think it is more because of what he represents rather than the man himself if that makes sense.  To me he represents a changing of the guard in the game in that a lot of the golfers I grew up with are no longer dominating the sport.  Possibly that qualifies as jealously, who knows?  It is probably the reality of getting older I guess.  You see it a lot on this forum with people harping back to the 1980s and unwilling to let go of the past.

That's nonsense. I can't think of ONE poster on here who "harps back to the 80's and is unwilling to let go of the past".

The fact you resent the "changing of the guard" is tragic.

Secondly, he also represents the new breed of golfer that overpowers a golf course.  They are playing a course of nearly 7,500 yards yet this guy shoots 63, 65.  Golf is officially fucked.  Even if these modern players hit it off line they can still make the green as they are only hitting a 7 or 8 iron from the rough.  You are involved in the game Rocket, does that not worry you where we are going?  The art of shaping the ball seems to have gone, they are alll hitting it straight nowadays and seems to be that the possibility of a real maverick coming through and winning are gone.  We are only ever going to get a champion from a guy that can nail it 300+ yards off every tee and putt well. 

And he is a boring bastard too, not a hint of charisma.

This week is an exception because Bethpage is just a sloggerfest but the rough is so brutal that you still have to find the short stuff. No, golf is in a great place, particularly with all the young Scots and English coming through.

Molinari isn't a slogger but he's a major winner. Spieth isn't in the same league as DJ, Bubba, McIlroy and Brooks for distance but he's won majors.

You have issues with one man and it's colouring and poisoning your view. Tiger won the Masters and it was wonderful. He can't get within 40 yards of the biggest hitters.

Woods winning the Masters was indeed wonderful. I think it would have been good for the game had he been able to overhaul Nicklaus' major record but sadly I believe his injuries have cost him any chance of doing so.

As has been rightly said, he can't get anywhere near the length of today's big hitters who are generally straight off the tee anyway but even punitive rough seen at the USPGA and US Open in particular means that even if they do go offline into it they are still only hitting 9 irons into holes 450 yards long. In the 70s, with the equipment they had, even the longest hitters would be hitting 5 or 6 irons in from the fairway.

Woods IMO only now has the Masters where length really isn't a great advantage or the Open where strategy and shotmaking are at a premium to go for to get Nicklaus' record. I think he has one more major in him but will come up short

There was a comment on the American TV coverage summed it up. Koepka hit it into the rough, even with a pretty short distance to go the commentators were saying for most players it would be a lay up but "because he's so strong" he could easily hit the green.

So even if you don't hit it straight, if your as strong as an ox you'll be ok!

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I predict that this major at TPC Harding Park will go down in history as one of the best. Don't have any concrete reasons to predict this, just got a feeling.

Love the course but I'm probably biased because I'm doing some remote work this week, successfully so far ??

If you like golf, tune into it. Fascinating events unfolding and a track that can bite you on the arse. Someone will come a cropper on Sunday's back 9 and as usual with PGA set-ups, it rewards the cream of the crop. 

On 25/02/2020 at 14:30, BigAl said:

Open Championship 2023 coming back to walking distance from my house

Get in there  :thumbsup:

If it's a nice hoose, do you want to do a deal? £2,500 now and £7,500 at the start of the week? How many does it sleep?

You would have to fuck off and stay with a mate and not walk to the Open of course. 

Edited by rocket_scientist

36 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

If it's a nice hoose, do you want to do a deal? £2,500 now and £7,500 at the start of the week? How many does it sleep?

You would have to fuck off and stay with a mate and not walk to the Open of course. 

Happy to do a deal but I will be walking to The Open.

Camp oot in my next door neighbours garden, bung him a grand and pocket £9k from you.

Bring it on Rocket

P.S Sleep at least eight and possibly more 

1 minute ago, BigAl said:

Happy to do a deal but I will be walking to The Open.

Camp oot in my next door neighbours garden, bung him a grand and pocket £9k from you.

Bring it on Rocket

P.S Sleep at least eight and possibly more 

You're on BigAl. Will PM you before I'm next in your area and we can chat on the phone. Depending on which pro client I give your house to, I may ask to camp with you and we can have a blast. But I don't do camping or even glamping so unlikely. Plus it'll be 2024 now and I'll be an old mannie. 

2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

You're on BigAl. Will PM you before I'm next in your area and we can chat on the phone. Depending on which pro client I give your house to, I may ask to camp with you and we can have a blast. But I don't do camping or even glamping so unlikely. Plus it'll be 2024 now and I'll be an old mannie. 

Lol, think we're the same vintage

1962 ?

Could have a blast, send my missus to her mothers, steward at The Open in the mornings, watch golf & drink in afternoon.

Trust me it is a superb week as done it last couple of times Open has been here.

Only downside is brother in law will want to be part of it....and he is HUN

I was a steward there in 1989. Been at the vast majority of Opens since 1977, my first and still the best. Got pissed with Wayne Grady in Sydney in 1991 before he went and won the Aussie PGA. I would caution you against volunteering as a steward. See nothing and get paid nothing but I guess you get your entry for free. Will be in touch.