Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Hills and Outdoors thread

Elgindon

3 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Aye,apart fae those hills,not over fond of that location myself. 

Ha ha, I KNEW you would know.

Rico you were in the right proximity, just no cigar.

It's the spirit of the place that I can't connect with. We know some bad shit went down in the old past but I don't dig the vibe.

Sutherland is another place I can't stand. Sutherland's Curse they call it. I feel it. Horrible part of the world, despite the landscapes.

4 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Name this location. Not you Elgin, as you've been everywhere and will recognise instantly. Wife and daughter 1 here for 3 nights which is a pain in the arse as I don't do cooking. Pain in the arse for them getting a cooked meal too. Place is heaving.

B3F97CAE-33F3-4F36-9C57-85ECF162E10C.thumb.jpeg.6e463d78c4ee1361c91b29de55c63b26.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.10c046581a1199ab74f971947c01c77c.jpeg

Broadford on the Isle of Skye?

6 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Tarvaig, Isle of Skye

Never heard of it! I've never been across the bridge to be fair. I went to Kyle of lochalsh 30 years ago, that's the only experience I have of that area. Will have to go again sometime. Nice part of the world.

Cracking shot that. I knew it was Skye but never been to/heard of Tarvaig. Love the Cuillin but Skye's landscape generally doesnt do much for me,nor the tourists/midges

Forecast pretty good from tomorrow.Recommend the walk from Elgol to Camasunary.A cracking coastal walk,takes you right to the edge of the Cuillin.Or you can catch a boat trip from there instead if theyre looking for things to do

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

Sorry, Torvaig.

I don't know! Never bin there masel 

Just looked it up, think it's a hotel (or a caravan park), nae an actual place, hence the confusion. Looks like a good place to be. Probably nicer than oor windy whoor in the north east the nicht.

11 minutes ago, scotfree said:

I had a fight with an Canadian bagpipe player in Portree.

And my dad was nearly killed by a flying manhole cover there as well.

I really love Skye. 

That's unacceptable. You should know better. Forum etiquette is under attack. You have a duty to uphold it. Now finish the story!

We need to know the circumstances of both events. How did the altercation arise and who won? A full description and a blow-by-blow account would be appreciated, plus a detailed injury list on both sides.

Was the man hole cover underperforming in its duty or was it thrown at him, perhaps by a lute player from Botswana?

The Canadian was asked to remember that there were ladies around.

He was being less than a gentleman in many ways

I had enough of him, told him to get outside the pub, which he did.

A few punches were thrown. Canadian apologised to said ladies (my wife and my mum)

The following day, he could not play the bagpipes in the contest he had traveled to Skye to play in as he had a broken nose.

This was in 1997 on my first trip back home from moving here.

In 1999 on my second trip back home, we went back to Portree.

My dad had gone out for a walk in the morning. I was still back in the hotel having my breakfast.

I was just tucking into my toast when I heard huge bang from outside. Dad had been out to buy the paper and was walking back to the hotel. He walked past a manhole and would have been 2 to 3 metres past it when there was a explosion. Seconds later the manhole cover landed a few feet from dad. We were told that there had been a gas leak and it had been sparked somehow.

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind - and I would fully understand if you didn't want to elaborate further so you are under no obligation to respond - I'm interested in the "morality question".

I thought the sexes were meant to be equal these days so him being reminded that there were women around, I can hardly imagine what offence he was committing? Was he swearing, and you felt he should not be? Or was he just being a dick, irrespective of who was in the immediate vicinity?

I'm unclear of what constitutes a "gentleman" either so I'm pretty certain it will be my ignorance here which limits my imagination of what he was doing wrong.

The other matter of intrigue is whether his apology was given with grace and with dawning self-realisation that he really was due to say sorry to your wife and mum (for whatever the offensive words and/or behaviour might have been) or whether he was under duress, perhaps because you had told him to apologise?

Incredible situation for your dad. He might have been as fortunate in his Skye experience as the Canadian was unfortunate in his. I know it's a small town but how you knew he was unable to perform the next day also begs the simple question of how you learned this? Perhaps you were also in the piping contest?

Sorry for asking loon, but your account certainly raised a bunch of further questions, or at least it did for me. 

• 1 month later...

Was down at an area of Scotland Ive never been,ie all the area south of Oban/north of the Weege.Would imagine it would normally be a midge/rain hellhole,but we had a cracking 4 days of sunshine,and found some fine low and high level walking and eateries.

Anyone recoginse the Loch. Looking North,early am

50424672767_b1af21d2bf_b.jpgDSC02269 (2) by , on Flickr

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, scotfree said:

I can spend a happy hour just looking at the Highlands on Google Earth. It's about the closest I'll get to see them for a while. ?

Am on the outskirts of Aberdeen city just avoiding the restrictions of staying within the city limits.Nightmare for outdoorsy types there

.Shires nae the West coast but a decent size, good variety of options.Wouldna say no to a beach in Oz though ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out in martinborough this week. Had hoped to get a few bike rides in but lack of sleep has put an end to that. Managed a 50km loop yesterday though. Think it was already about 25 degrees by 10am. The area is famous for its wine, although most of the bike ride is through farmland.

E6A776FB-D54A-4472-B54E-A1560300BCCD.jpeg

3299C525-BA47-4BDC-8740-850244498758.jpeg

• Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 12:40, manc_don said:

Out in martinborough this week. Had hoped to get a few bike rides in but lack of sleep has put an end to that. Managed a 50km loop yesterday though. Think it was already about 25 degrees by 10am. The area is famous for its wine, although most of the bike ride is through farmland.

E6A776FB-D54A-4472-B54E-A1560300BCCD.jpeg

3299C525-BA47-4BDC-8740-850244498758.jpeg

Manc after his day out in wine country. ?

4vxy40.gif

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Has anyone climbed An Teallach? It was not a mountain that was on my radar before I moved over here. But I've reading up on it and I'm pissed off that I never climbed it. It doesn't look to technical, but has enough going for it to get the blood going. 

Corrag_Bhuidhe_-_Flickr_-_Graham_Grinner_Lewis.jpg