The Hills and Outdoors thread

Elgindon

Cheers. Surprised you like that one,its a fairly typical West coast ridge up top.From the roadside they can look like a knife edge,but as per pic,nae that bad.Thats looking East,the better views were to the West.

This thread was meant to appeal to the younger loons but I don't think there are any around here lol,so I'll stick up some easier must do hills for the discerning older gent when time

Some more views from unfamiliar angles...

48884886993_d9a88ae747_k.jpgDSC00453 by [/url], on Flickr

48884890798_29a03ea826_k.jpgDSC00465 by , on Flickr

48884898498_c40f3f39f8_b.jpgDSC00470 by , on Flickr

48885432146_5a443dbc16_b.jpgDSC00439 by , on Flickr

Over to Skye from our base near Lochcarron.What a day out!

48886699411_c1503645db_b.jpgDSC00535 (4) by , on Flickr

Fa you calling nae young?  :cardred:

:rofl:

• Like 1

Fair enough  :rofl:

Cracking pictures as per usual min. You've fairly got about, if there's any down this way, and you plan on doing them, you'll need to give me a shout, long time no see.

Hills arent big enough down your neck of the woods and no Munros below loch Lomond,but welcome to join us for a winter hill wander further North. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Hills arent big enough down your neck of the woods and no Munros below loch Lomond,but welcome to join us for a winter hill wander further North. :smile:

I'd get fucking lost and left behind min  :rofl:

As an aside, me and 2 mates have been deliberating whether to build a small-ish Cabin somewhere quite secluded, I am very much up for it as is the one who will be doing all of the work, he's extremely handy when it comes to stuff like that, we're just trying to work out costs and the main one, location, we would like it secluded enough from the usual wee wankers that just wreck everything as soon as they see it, but not close to home, the whole point is for it to be somewhere we can fuck off too at a Weekend, maybe do some Fishing and sightseeing, can you think of anywhere off the top of your head, between Glasgow and as far as probably Perth? Not too far North. can be East or West.

The furthest South weve been for Munros was Ben Cruachan near Dalmally(south of Oban).Its a very busy hill if you do it from the Weege side,but we decided to make it a bit more of an adventure and climb it from the North side in Glen Noe.Probably the nicest camp spot weve pitched at,and never met a soul in the 2 days we were there,til we got onto the hill summit ridge.further South than that I'd imagine youd be too close to Glasgow to get somewhere reasonablyremote.

No idea what you'd need to do re building a cabin as far as permission goes,buy a plot first,do up an existing building shell,or chat up a farmer.? Or find a remote wood and chance yer luck  :surprised:

Failing that,theres loads of remote bothies free to use,but its a lottery if you arrive with someone in it or not,though theyve usually got room for a fair number of folk https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/

Heres Glen Noe from July

49096054081_5174d60548_c.jpgIMG_8537 by , on Flickr

And while I'm here,the latest hill last weekend was in the snow at Meall a Bhuiridh in Glencoe

49095515523_3bbe4dc7c2_c.jpgIMG-20191117-WA0013 by , on Flickr

49096034691_a996619067_c.jpgIMG-20191117-WA0025 (3) by , on Flickr

No sun,but great conditions.A good hill for someone keen to get up in winter conditions since the start point is at Glencoe ski resort,where theres the option of a chairlift up and down up most of the way(£8 one way)

• 1 month later...

Just back fae the Port Appin area the weekend past.Climbed Beinn Sgulaird while we were there.Great viewpoint,but a horrible rough rocky mountain to climb.

49414441523_37e56b3a52_b.jpgDSC00781 (2) by [/url], on Flickr

Have to recommend the island of Lismore where we stayed over the weekend though.Rarely hear of it as far as others go,but liked it so much,we're going back again in February.Lots of history,views,low level walking/cycling,....but also quiet,and away from most of the tourists.

Only downside is that,with a population of 170,there isnt an eatery or pub around,but a short ferry ride(10 mins,£2 each way) takes you back to the mainland at Port Appin where theres a good eatery called the Pier house right on the waterfront

Unfortunately,we turned up at Port Appin on our way over,assuming it was a car ferry.It was the last one for the evening,and we found out it was foot passenger only.Chucked our gear on anyway,and had to tramp the 5 miles to our place in the dark  8).

That aside.its a great place in the middle of Loch Linnhe with fine views back to the mainland,and out to the islands and Kingairloch areas.Great for both sunrise and sunset

Looking back to the mainland with the islands single track main road in the pic

49414921226_bc77662aa1_b.jpgDSC00797 (3) by , on Flickr

Looking North up Loch Linnhe

49414923521_b16c22e1a0_b.jpgDSC00796 (4) by , on Flickr

• 2 months later...

We'd been trying to get out to the hills since New Year,(normally were out once a month),but every weekend seemed to either be too windy,or rainy.Finally,the last week before lockdown we had a great spell of good weather, with a good covering of snow for those who like winter conditions.

Pics from hills near Dalmally

49705274468_024f4941eb_b.jpgDSC01083 (2) by [/url], on Flickr

49705822186_e26904c290_b.jpgDSC01110 by , on Flickr

49711928806_12b49c6d6c_b.jpgDSC01155 (2) by , on Flickr

49706124152_e3e0226efa_b.jpgDSC01157 by , on Flickr

Would have been out a lot more since,as the weather has continued to be pretty good.

Some local walks for N/E residents stuck in the hoose if cabin fever setting in https://www.mapmywalk.com/gb/aberdeen-sct/

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/aberdeenshire/stonehaven.shtml

Weve just started walking the first section of the Walk highlands - Johnshaven to Stonehaven route which we didnt realise was all walkable.

Easy walking so far,pic shows a section from Johnshaven coming upto Gourdon.Gets more cliffy and craggy as you go on,with lots of birdlife,including the puffins which are due to be arriving at Crawton which is en route.Takes you past Dunnottar also

49711939141_b90fd753db_b.jpgDSC01075 by , on Flickr

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, hercule poirot said:

Superb photos in this thread.

Did some guy you were with really wander about in the hills in November, in the snow, wearing a T shirt? I'm no meteorologist but that's a bit daft.

Spinning around in a boat in water as smooth as glass must've been fantastic.

Yes.He swears by taking cold showers regularly.Says he doesnt feel the cold as much.Asked him "but does it not therefore make you more sweaty in warmer weather?"........not according to him  ?

While Im here,carried on a bit more with the East Aberdeenshire coast walk,mentioned above by walking to stonehaven via Crawton where the last of the Puffins were at before disappearing til next Spring.Awesome place for the cliffs alone,and also for the amount and variety of birdlife.Bonus sunset at Stonehaven later spacer.png

DSC01688-4.jpg

DSC01726.jpg

2 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Yes.He swears by taking cold showers regularly.Says he doesnt feel the cold as much.Asked him "but does it not therefore make you more sweaty in warmer weather?"........not according to him  ?

It's true. Better if you are outside a lot of the day though and active. I have cold showers most days in the summer, maybe from March until October, but nae so much in the winter because I sit in an office all day. Seems to just improve the circulation a bit and helps my recovery from hayfever symptoms. Been a lot more regular with it during the pandemic as it's apparently good for fighting colds and the like. I could definitely hack a walk up a hill in a t shirt in November, but nae chance I could sit through 90 minutes in January in the same outfit. Have to keep moving, basically.

16 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

It's true. Better if you are outside a lot of the day though and active. I have cold showers most days in the summer, maybe from March until October, but nae so much in the winter because I sit in an office all day. Seems to just improve the circulation a bit and helps my recovery from hayfever symptoms. Been a lot more regular with it during the pandemic as it's apparently good for fighting colds and the like. I could definitely hack a walk up a hill in a t shirt in November, but nae chance I could sit through 90 minutes in January in the same outfit. Have to keep moving, basically.

Worth a try then. Do you get to a stage where you walk straight into a cold shower,as opposed to gradually screwing down the temperature(like the boy above does)? And as I also asked him,have you noticed a difference in your tolerance to hot weather...

Edited by Elgindon

4 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Worth a try then. Do you get to a stage where you walk straight into a cold shower,as opposed to gradually screwing down the temperature(like the boy above does)? And as I also asked him,have you noticed a difference in your tolerance to hot weather...

I don't gradually screw it down, I usually have it hot for a minute to gie masel a dicht and then turn it straight to freezing, so it's pretty much instant cold (I don't really need the hot, I just find it better for cleaning my ba's and the like). As I say, I've never really been that bothered by the cold, so I found it quite easy. Started doing about 15 seconds of cold roughly, then within a couple of days I just stayed in, as once yer beyond the first shock you can pretty much hack it. I'd say I do no less than two minutes of cold, no more than three. Seems about right. I'm not sure it does anything good or bad, but I got really bad flu at the turn of the year when I wasn't doing it, so I started again a few weeks after. Anecdotal, of course!

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Kintail? You at Kyle of lochalsh or somewhere? Plockton maybe?

Nope, not there. Personally, I'm in the NE at home with an 18 year old for support, to walk the dogs and feed them and the cats etc. I'm so useless I need baby-sat, or I pretend that I am, just a lazy bastard really. The main breadwinner calls the shots, twas ever thus. Pity the youngest is such a shit cook but at least the government pay for half our tea, and they're paying half for the tourists in the place that wasn't what you said so not as bad as it might've been.

1 minute ago, Elgindon said:

Nae 100% sure which part of where youre at fae the first pic.Forecast decent Wed/thurs.Gies a shout if looking for a hill or walk

Edit - Youre in the N/E so no need

I'm not there. The wife and eldest quine are!

Both pics from the same place, just different views. The second is quite a famous landmark. Not that I've ever seen it. Was last there 30 odd years ago and I wouldn't hurry back personally. People matter for me and too many English for my liking.

Aye we are spoiled for terrain in this neck of the woods.

Jeez a whole page without having to deal with mutants on the rampage. I must say it's a relief. Coventry it is from now on. It's best for everyone. But instead of complaining to mods - whoever they were - and going boo hoo hoo they're fighting, fucking pitch in with your observations and comments at the time. That would certainly help to educate me/them and to ensure that a different path can be followed. The river flow can be changed. You just need the balls to try and change it.