Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Hills and Outdoors thread

Elgindon

Nae probs min.The fort on Tap o Noth has an information board at the foot of the hill,but nothing at Barmekin.Some good info here https://canmore.org.uk/site/18522/barmekin-of-echt

Managed up 11 munros over the festive season in between family visits.Couple of very good days...

10rlmkj.jpg

Couple of atmospheric ones

34rzs5c.jpg

A fair few drizzle and fog days

smyubp.jpg

160 done,122 to go  :confused: Race against time before the legs buckle up

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of snow about now.Was up Sgurr Ruadh last W/E at Achnashellach.One of the roughest hills weve ever walked made worse by not knowing what your feet were going into....

xgb7rp.jpg

mi2a3d.jpg

..Wouldnt recommend it for a climb,but a superb viewpoint at the end.

aauel3.jpg

Glen Tanars a fine introductory place for low and mid level walks like this one https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/glen-tanar-riverside.shtml

A wee route(need an OS map) we did a couple of years back was to - park at the Bridge of Ess beside the entrance to Glen Tanar ,and follow the track going south from the East end of the bridge thru the trees, follow it over the hills Duchery Beg,Baudy Meg and back down via Black Craig and Red Craig to Bridge of Ess.Good track all the way,pines,river and good views of the Gorms in snow

Webcam for conditions at the Braemar snow gate http://braemarscotland.co.uk/snowgate-webcam/

Always love your pics and recommendations Elgin.

Question for you.

What are the best brands for keeping warm and/or dry?

I love my Arc'teryx Gore Tex shell but only need it if it's pissing down, so mostly worn when working but it's not a warmth provider. I can't buy North Face as it's too voluminous and I can't wear what most cunts do so I don't care how good or otherwise it might be. Probably can't buy Rab for the same reason. Don't like the look of Mountain Equipment jackets but will be interested to know what you pros wear?

Were dont like anything too heavy to avoid over warming,mainly looking for wind and rain proof,so I'm not sure warmth wise TBH.I wear a Berghaus Goretex shell,and John the other guy,a Geo Technology Norway jacket but they fairly keep out the wind and rain,supplemented by wearing a few layers beneath,and thats done the job so far.That above hill was about -3,but the jackets were off after an hour when the sun got up.Rabs a name I hear time and again for winter walks along with these type jackets for warmth https://www.trekitt.co.uk/32691/products/mountain-equipment-mens-lightline-jacket-black.aspx?currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjt_H0cmO4AIVRbTtCh2DPg_HEAQYBSABEgIqcPD_BwE

EDIT  -  -12 on the tops this W/E.See how the gear copes with that..

I hate this fucking thread... It always makes me homesick.  :

Brilliant pictures though.  :thumbsup:

:laughing:

Yin and Yang. I was in Oz for 3 years, two of our daughters were born in Melbourne and I loved the weather, the swimming pool in the garden, the BBQ's and the lifestyle. When we got offered citizenship, something out of the blue as it hadn't ever crossed out minds, that forced us to think longer term so we came home.

There are pros and cons. We live in a binge drinking culture and are at risk of being stabbed randomly, probably in the pissing rain on a council-neglected dark street by a loser no-hoper ned who himself has indulged in too much mind and mood-altering substances. So if you want to increase your chances of life, you're in a healthier place.

But nothing in the world could tempt me to live in Australia again. The chances of a random stabbing could increase twenty fold and I'd still choose to live here. Places are about people and the racism, laziness and intellectual retardation in that country made us realise that we weren't bringing up our clan to be Aussies.

Move to NZ, you'll be covered ;)

Australia is funny in that it has no stunning looking mountains. They seem to be all plateau style mountains.

And I hate snakes...

NZ looks stunning and to be truthful, I think half the mountains over there are well out my mountain climbing "skills".  :laughing:

:laughing:

Yin and Yang. I was in Oz for 3 years, two of our daughters were born in Melbourne and I loved the weather, the swimming pool in the garden, the BBQ's and the lifestyle. When we got offered citizenship, something out of the blue as it hadn't ever crossed out minds, that forced us to think longer term so we came home.

There are pros and cons. We live in a binge drinking culture and are at risk of being stabbed randomly, probably in the pissing rain on a council-neglected dark street by a loser no-hoper ned who himself has indulged in too much mind and mood-altering substances. So if you want to increase your chances of life, you're in a healthier place.

But nothing in the world could tempt me to live in Australia again. The chances of a random stabbing could increase twenty fold and I'd still choose to live here. Places are about people and the racism, laziness and intellectual retardation in that country made us realise that we weren't bringing up our clan to be Aussies.

Where I live is in regional Queensland. In the 22 years I've lived here, the changes this place has gone through is huge. It's gone from a town to a city in that time. We have had many huge coal mines opened up just out west from here. That has brought in huge amounts of money to this place, which has been good and bad. With more money in the pockets of the miners, the drug problem here has gone through the roof the past 10 years. ICE is the drug that has done the damage. I see cars dumped and burned out by the side of the road. Break-ins have become ten a penny. Australia day holiday was last weekend and that's a day I dread. Far right racist nationalism has increased hugely. I've had insults shouted on Australia day about me not being born in Australia. I had "words" with them. It's not the "lucky country" it was once called. But that's really happening the world over.

Will give the Kagoul/Orange boiler suit combo a try out sometime  :thumbsup:

Heading to the Nevis area this w/e, ....-12oC at the summit forecast  :eek:,  though I caught a peek of Lochnagar fae the Bypass looking inviting with its full covering of snow.Would love a crack at it like that.

Will give the Kagoul/Orange boiler suit combo a try out sometime  :thumbsup:

Heading to the Nevis area this w/e, ....-12oC at the summit forecast  :eek:,  though I caught a peek of Lochnagar fae the Bypass looking inviting with its full covering of snow.Would love a crack at it like that.

I let you know that that orange boiler suit combo was all the rage in 1986.  ;)

I actually hired the waterproofs and hiking boots from outdoor education at my high school.  :laughing:

• 2 months later...

Couple of hills for you,one for drama,and one for the views,especially at sunset, as i found out at the W./E

Beinn Liath Mhor - Munro, 926m  A long narrow ridge,with superb views at the end,of Torridon and Skye if conditions are clear. Start is at Achnashellach station along mainly stony but straight forward terrain with a steep section for about 3/4 an hour to get onto the ridge

Heres the ridge.All the views are in the opposite direction

w18jld.jpg

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Beinnliathmhor.shtml

Beinn A' Chochuill - Munro,980m  An easy hill by West coast standards over mainly short grassy terrain,usually done with Beinn Euanich if bagging Munros,(appx 1.5 hrs summit to summit),but A'Chochuill the better viewpoint,even better at sunset

The grassy terrain of Beinn A'Chochuill on the rhs,as you approach the summit,with Ben Cruachan to the left,a cracking looking ridge still to be done

1slgeh.jpg

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/munros/beinn-a-chochuill

• 3 weeks later...

Latest adventure recently was the 4 Munro circuit called the Ring of Steall,up Glen Nevis,Fort William.A long day(10-12 hrs),with narrow ridges and bits of scrambling for added fun.John,my walking pal, recently did the Mont Blanc traverse,ie a high alpine route through the Alps,avoiding summits),and said this route was as close as it's felt to being an alpine route.Typical section below

2lllrm1.jpg

Route details here https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/ringofsteall.shtml

If that route doesnt float your boat,The walk up Glen Nevis(around an hours walk there,hour back) is worth a wander in itself,walking thru a rocky narrow gorge,ending at one of the best waterfalls in Scotland(Falls of Steall).Only downside is if you want to get right up and close to the waterfall,you have to cross this wire bridge to get to it.2 wires for hands,one wire for feet.Click to enlarge

2vtuvx3.jpg

Failing that theres a shallow crossable stream to the right if yuove a pair of crocs or wellies

Cheers.A couple of local,more family friendly walks since the weathers so fine lately

The Princess cairns,Balmoral.Think theres about 5 cairns erected by various phases of the Royal family since the 1800s.Only came across them by accident,but a fine wee wander if youve kids,they involve a bit of searching since some of the paths are pretty indistinct

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/balmoral-cairns.shtml

Hill of Newe,Glen Buchat Strathdon - An easy hill,about an hour up an hour down with great views of the surrounding valley and countryside.The quiet roads within Glen Buchat are a fine wander in themselves at this time of year with various wildlife pinging about,Glen Buchat castle nearby

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/ben-newe.shtml

One of the Balmoral cairns vrpooy.jpg

• 1 month later...

Returned to Achilitibuie this year for our annual fishing/walking trip.Normally for trout,we're happy with anything close to a lb,but one of our party fluked this freak at 4.5lb.

33l16o9.jpg

We normally catch and release,but thought this one had had a good innings.

el4ig0.jpg

Thought I'd recommend this little beauty of a local hill,Sgurr an Fhidlier,a pretty famous hill in hillwalking circles just along from Achiltibuie,which at 590m,punches well above its height for views and ease of access

n5iw0l.jpg

Looking back to the summer isles on the way up

oizxjk.jpg

The easy approach can lull you into a false sense of security as further on at the far end the sharp drops take you a bit by surprise

rmpgeb.jpg

Wont give away the views but at Only 590m of ascent(less than Bennachie),the views at the end are unbelievable.Very worth the effort,and for thrill seekers,can be combined with Ben More Coigach for a narrow arete to end the day in style  :thumbsup:

Ben More Coigach ridge from the roadside(click to enlarge)

x6iofr.jpg

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/sgurr-an-fhidhleir.shtml

• 1 month later...

Latest trip was over to the Cuillin,Skye to do an undone munro,..Am Basteir.Failed in my quest to get to the summit because of a 3m blind down climb(but it didnt stop my walk partner  ::)).

In the process though,we followed an unplanned circuit well worth a wander for non regular hill baggers,which gets you high up and into the heart of the Cuillin without any over taxing climbing.Parked slightly beyond the Sligachan hotel on the A863 where a path starts off on the lhs of the road and follows the Allt Dearg Beag on its rhs all the way up to the Basteir gorge,seen at the top of the stream to the left of the path

29w011u.jpg

Once into the gorge,you can see the route all the way ahead mid photo to Am Basteir,the lump of rock.But the aim is to simply head for the lowpoint to its left,where youll get a cracking view of the Southern Cuillin and out to Rum etc.From there you head back down a bit,under the lump of rock,and over to the rhs to Sgurr a Basteir

29p2lu8.jpg

Heading underneath the lump of Am Basteir and over to the start of the ridge of Sgurr A Basteir on the right

2yoeblg.jpg

And follow the ridge along to the easier summit of Sgurr A Basteir,which leads steeply,but not overly difficultly back to the Allt Dearg Beag,and a pint and meal back at the Sligachan hotel.We bivvied up near Bealach Basteir overnight,but would allow 7/8 hrs.Superb views

2rdfehy.jpg

• 1 month later...

Tinypic has gone bust it seems.Flickr offer 1000 of free pics if anyones looking for a new site.

Was up the West coast last weekend with the intention of more Munro bagging.Weather was looking good,20o plus.Got a couple of Munros done,and found out later in the evening my pal was in the area with his home built hovercraft along with a couple of other hovercrafters,and jumped at the opportunity to spend a day with them instead of hills.A great way to see Scotland from different angles with the option of landing on any sandy or gravelly beach that you wouldnt normally get near.Surprised they havnt been more popular

Heading down Loch Long near Camas a Luanie

48812873073_e5937d0332_b.jpgDSC00441 (2) by [/url], on Flickr

Glenelg bay

48813372837_0112a1b01a_b.jpgDSC00426 by , on Flickr

Sunsetting over the Cuillin from base at Lochcarron

48812873553_113b64d5c6_b.jpgDSC00521 (2) by , on Flickr

Done 189,..93 to do.Started doing them seriously about 5 years ago.Wee bit worried about the dodgier Skye ones.Will need to hire a guide a couple of times,but otherwise lovin' it

Achnashellach ones(below) all done recently,were some of the most remote ones done so far.Lurg Mhor and the 'Cheesecake' needed a 20 mile walk.Had to stop the car at Nairn for cramp 

48828215482_b907da03c2_b.jpgDSC00297 by , on Flickr

Done 189,..93 to do.Started doing them seriously about 5 years ago.Wee bit worried about the dodgier Skye ones.Will need to hire a guide a couple of times,but otherwise lovin' it

Achnashellach ones(below) all done recently,were some of the most remote ones done so far.Lurg Mhor and the 'Cheesecake' needed a 20 mile walk.Had to stop the car at Nairn for cramp 

48828215482_b907da03c2_b.jpgDSC00297 by , on Flickr

Stunning pic ED. All yours are good but this one is amazing.

Most of our beautiful country hasn't been seen by the vast majority of us and that includes me. Even though I've seen more than 99% have, you're showing us stuff beyond our imaginations. What you top fractile of one per cent have seen is good for the soul. Great work.

Cheers. Surprised you like that one,its a fairly typical West coast ridge up top.From the roadside they can look like a knife edge,but as per pic,nae that bad.Thats looking East,the better views were to the West.

This thread was meant to appeal to the younger loons but I don't think there are any around here lol,so I'll stick up some easier must do hills for the discerning older gent when time

Some more views from unfamiliar angles...

48884886993_d9a88ae747_k.jpgDSC00453 by [/url], on Flickr

48884890798_29a03ea826_k.jpgDSC00465 by , on Flickr

48884898498_c40f3f39f8_b.jpgDSC00470 by , on Flickr

48885432146_5a443dbc16_b.jpgDSC00439 by , on Flickr

Over to Skye from our base near Lochcarron.What a day out!

48886699411_c1503645db_b.jpgDSC00535 (4) by , on Flickr

I'm surprised you're surprised. Aesthetics, like music and art are personal of course but there is much in that image that appeals. The sharpness of the ridge, it's demarcation between light and shadow, the glacially-deposited rocks stopping suddenly next to grass, the gentler falling away of the rounded back towards the right are all brilliant and extreme examples of contrasts and opposites. The loch and the sunshine to bathe it all in are so beautiful.