Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Restaurants recommended

Said goodbye to Carmine yesterday, an institution in Aberdeen for 34 years. He's 80 now and retiring next week. Was one of his first customers as I worked in an office in Union Terrace for a year in the 80's. The food was as good as always and as he single-handedly prepared all the meals, that's been some shift. Won't see value like that again any decade soon.

Said goodbye to Carmine yesterday, an institution in Aberdeen for 34 years. He's 80 now and retiring next week. Was one of his first customers as I worked in an office in Union Terrace for a year in the 80's. The food was as good as always and as he single-handedly prepared all the meals, that's been some shift. Won't see value like that again any decade soon.

I loved Carmines,  always good food and of course great value and he was certainly a character.  Was in last Saturday and he told a young boy no phones out whilst eating and phone was put away.

I remember my first time I drank my lager out of the bottle, I never made that mistake again.

He also fed someone I know who lived in the block upstairs whilst a very poor student back in the early 90s, the guy who is now fairly successful never forgot that.

Will be missed.

The Miso is class, although I love even instant Miso soup so I'm probably biased. Lot of depth of flavour though as well as a bit of texture with plenty seaweed.

Yes it is. We're just back and I'm pretty certain we will order Miso every time from now on. "Bottomless" means you could have as much as you want but two of the wee bowls was sufficient for me. Flying fish caviar Guncan still my fav but the Uramakis are amazing. Didn't have one the first couple of times but order one every visit now.

Went to the Pier at the beach for lunch. It's more "upmarket" than Snecky, Promenade and Pavilion and like Sand Dollar charges a wee bit more. I liked it. Went first about 8/9 months ago and it was good then but perhaps because it wasn't as busy, it's actually a nice space too, to go with good munch.

It wasn't as busy as my last visit because we got there early, before any normal rush hour at lunchtimes and plus it's January, the month after the saddos and the minks overspend on Xmas to spoil their kids - out of guilt for being shit parents and also to keep up with the Joneses - and need to eat bread and drink water until their monthly pay cheque comes in.

Still love the normal grub you get at the cheaper places there but can't have pie with gravy beans and chips more than a couple of times a year.

• 6 months later...

The eat out to help out initiative is a win. Tons of places to choose from - check out the government website and put in a postcode - and fill your boots. We are just back from dinner and are using it to go back to places we haven't been in ages or having lunch at somewhere different. Monday to Wednesdays only throughout August. 

I've not been to Borsalinos before but it's highly recommended from what I hear.. In addition, online reviews tend to suggest it's well entrenched in the 'excellent' and 'wonderful' categories.

But if it's in a vicinity where people want to wank a lot, I'll possibly look elsewhere for a family meal. 

8 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

That doesn't surprise me. It's because I have never heard anyone recommend it that I've never been.

Plus it's a part of NE Scotland I'm not particularly fond of. Cults, Culter and Banchory = wannabe wankers.

Food is average at best when I’ve been, you get wankers from everywhere. Where you from?

Yes wankers, charlatans and fucked up people are everywhere. No argument there. It's the breed of wanker who has limited talent but who has benefitted from a better income than they might have got in the real world who I was referring to, manifesting itself in snobbery and delusions of superiority.

Born Foresterhill, live within a short drive of Aberdeen but 15 years overseas and 11 years elsewhere in Scotland gives a non-insular perspective of my home city, to which we returned 15 years ago. We have the same proportion of wankers as anywhere, including some unique traits bespoke to us, mostly born from parochialism. 

9 hours ago, Donofanewera said:

Not much of a detective 

It doesn't take much detective work to conclude that yourself and the clown from Deeside decided to burst onto the scene and put everyone in their place with your witty repartee and ladz banter...

All you've succeeded in doing is making yourselves look a right pair of arseholes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hercule poirot said:

It doesn't take much detective work to conclude that yourself and the clown from Deeside decided to burst onto the scene and put everyone in their place with your witty repartee and ladz banter...

All you've succeeded in doing is making yourselves look a right pair of arseholes.

You can get help for your insecurity 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, royal deeside cowie said:

Looks like your romantic dinner is cancelled indefinitely now, laddie. Can't say I didn't find that exceedingly humourous. 

Been sinking a few wet ones in McGinty's all afternoon. Making the most of it because who know when I'll be back. 

1. Laughs at the misfortune of another

2. Drinks excessively

3. in a shit "boozer" (which tried and failed to be a "gastro pub") where no real men would be seen dead. 

1. Nice guy

2. gets the most out of life

3. makes great judgements  

Don't hang around with him and don't know him. He was lingering around waiting on a score. Seems an affable enough chap though. Offered him the pint at 10 to 5 when it was clear Mr Scientist wasn't going to grab the olive branch. Has there ever been a ruder man than RS? You could offer this jaded prick the world and he'd throw it back in your face.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2019 at 11:09, RicoS321 said:

It's okay (only been in at lunch).

That was JW's Sushi in Huntly street we were talking about. Since SooShe shut five months ago, we've been using JW's a lot and it's actually really good. We got a small order last night and their rolls are first class. And nobody can fuck up sashimi, which is always a staple for us.

As I was waiting at the lights at the top of Holburn Street, I noticed the pub opposite on Union Street had a pig as it's logo. Quite bizarre if you think about it, perhaps they're presenting themselves as a gastro pub and pretending that they serve pig on a spit? They also had this big thank you NHS sign in the window which I thought was also bizarre. Unless the staff all have partners who work in the NHS or unless they have a strong proportion of NHS workers within their clientele, it seemed to me to be a cynical marketing ploy that a chain might try, as if the Aberdeen mannie is going to go, great, what nice and compassionate people, I think I'll go in here for a drink. That sort of shite might appeal to the English but fuck that for a game of sudjers here in the NE.