Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Restaurants recommended

Whats the price range like? Up in Aberdeen next month and need a few tips on places to take the girlfriend for lunch

You get what you pay for. It's excellent but not mental expensive. Very reasonable in fact. The wife had sole and loved it. The Crayfish salad was awesome and included watermelon and mango of all things. £11/£12 a dish I think.

http://www.chester-hotel.com/dining/number-ix-restaurant

I went to The Prime Cuts last night. Having always fancied trying it I heard it was closing down ("hibernating because of the oil downturn") on Friday so decided to go and check it out. They were doing a deal where you'd get 10% off so I booked a table and went. The first thing I noticed when I turned up was that the prices on their menu were almost 20% higher than the prices on their website. Online menu linky. I'd be really keen to know when they bumped the prices up because the cynic in me would suggest that it happened around the time they started doing a 10% "discount".

Anyway. I ordered the T-bone done medium and a pepper and whiskey sauce. Thoroughly enjoyed the food. No complaints on that front at all. Service was fine but then came the bill fuck up. The mannie took the bill over and said "The 10% has been taken off already". He was half right.. the sauces had been discounted by 10% saving us a total of about 60p. The steaks were charged at full price (£7 more each than the online price). So I said to the guy that the prices were already a lot higher than online (which he got a little defensive about) and that I expected 10% off the whole bill. He took the bill away, corrected it and took it back but I don't believe for a second that that was an honest mistake. That was them blatantly trying their luck and seeing if they'd get away with it. So for that reason I can't go back when it re-opens which is a shame because I've never had a better steak in Aberdeen.

• 1 month later...

Poldinos opposite Ma Camerons. Never again.

My son and I went there before we beat Celtic 2-1 and it was excellent.

So with daughter visiting from France this week, we decided to go there tonight.

Great meal. Good wine. Delighted. Service non-descript but hey, it's Aberdeen.

Then the bill came. It was wrong. It was an overcharge by 2 or 3%.

I have no problem with genuine mistakes. It's human to err. So I take the bill to the counter where the grey haired grey beard was punching icons on the computer and handed over my card with the bill. Are you the owner I asked. Yes I am said he. I waited till he put my card in and handed me the terminal before I fully responded to his question if everything was all right. I said yes excellent and when he handed me the terminal I said apart from the bill being wrong. He gave faux pretence for caring and I said no it's fine. Must have been in your favour then, he had the audacity to utter. No I insisted, £136.40 it says here, that's what I'm going to pay.

What a fucking balloon. I would have tipped him £20 if he hadn't tried, and succeeded in stealing £3. Worse for him, we will never go back and every one of our friends will learn of this experience. The shame is their pasta is outstanding. I don't give a fuck. It's hardly London or Roma standard. Hate people like that. So small minded they can't see the big picture. Cunts like him don't deserve to succeed. Utter scummy slime ball. Hope he fails.

Not too dissimilar to my experience at Prime Cu(n)ts. Dicks.

I went to Byron Burger the other night. I enjoyed it. Much more so than Handmade Burger but it's really expensive for what it is and I don't think it's worth it. I won't be back unless I get some sort of money off voucher.

It was probably the company that made it so enjoyable though  ;)

Aye. Our partners definitely bring the class, let's not kid on its us  ;)

Was there on Friday night. My favourite restaurant in the toon. It's ace.

Really enjoyed the sake there, like their concept too. Out of interest, what was the music they were playing when you went? They were playing Mexican music when we went, complete confusion for the senses!

Aye. Our partners definitely bring the class, let's not kid on its us  ;)

Really enjoyed the sake there, like their concept too. Out of interest, what was the music they were playing when you went? They were playing Mexican music when we went, complete confusion for the senses!

You may have a point  ;)

I enjoyed it too though, surprised by the Mexican music but apart from that I loved it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Buchanans Bistro at Banchory for lunch today. Second time I've been and had the same thing as last time early summer - the Spanish Board. It's just excellent. Don't overdo the sourdough bread though. It's gorgeous but for someone like me who doesn't eat much bread these days, very easy to over-indulge. The wife said her dish was superb too. A must-visit for any NE enthusiast.

Buchanans Bistro is fucking magic like, my favourite restaurant in the shire. I'm not a big meat eater these days, so I'm always on the look out for decent veg options, especially for lunch. Whilst I go to many places that do good food really well, there's very few that I go to that the combination of ingredients are that which I just wouldn't think to use together at home. Simple food too, and not a pretentious place. Some of the beer is worth a drink too, I always purchase a selection to take home. Along with some packets maftoul, which the wife likes. It's ace.

Went to Rishi's afore the Saints game. Very good, and excellent value.

Whilst I go to many places that do good food really well, there's very few that I go to that the combination of ingredients are that which I just wouldn't think to use together at home.

Went to Rishi's afore the Saints game. Very good, and excellent value.

How about this then? The soup on offer today was tomato and coconut. If I didn't know that the Spanish board would have been filling enough, I might have been tempted.

Went to Rishi's for the first time a few months back. I'm terribly addicted to Light of Bengal so didn't rate it that much but appreciate that this may well have included some bigotry and prejudice on my part. I must be Indianist. Not being sexist or racist, I was bound to have a major ist of some sort.

• 4 weeks later...

Chaophraya in the Monkey House.

Aberdeen now has one outstanding restaurant.

Best meal I've ever had in my life.

The Chang Rai cocktail and the Spicy Beef salad complimented each other, weirdly.

The dumplings to start were excellent.

The coconut pannacotta was grotesquely delicious.

We're going again tomorrow.

I am sick fed up of recommending it to others who all say it was fabulous.

I went the next week with a mate of mine for lunch but I can't wait to get back for the full bifta.

Friends of ours were there on Monday for her birthday. They loved it. She won over a grand at Roulette afterwards so it's maybe a lucky restaurant too?

• 2 weeks later...

Not a restaurant as such but Five Guys produce a REALLY TASTY BURGER.

Just opened in Aberdeen. Will go again. But not too often.

Pity it's free refills for coke and shit. That's just contributing to the obesity epidemic, people being too stupid and too dumbed-down and too greedy and too sad and too ill-disciplined not to contain themselves and refrain.

Not a restaurant as such but Five Guys produce a REALLY TASTY BURGER.

Just opened in Aberdeen. Will go again. But not too often.

Pity it's free refills for coke and shit. That's just contributing to the obesity epidemic, people being too stupid and too dumbed-down and too greedy and too sad and too ill-disciplined not to contain themselves and refrain.

Count me in we that lot I fall into all that category's  :thumbsup:

I went to The Prime Cuts last night. Having always fancied trying it I heard it was closing down ("hibernating because of the oil downturn") on Friday so decided to go and check it out. They were doing a deal where you'd get 10% off so I booked a table and went. The first thing I noticed when I turned up was that the prices on their menu were almost 20% higher than the prices on their website. Online menu linky. I'd be really keen to know when they bumped the prices up because the cynic in me would suggest that it happened around the time they started doing a 10% "discount".

Anyway. I ordered the T-bone done medium and a pepper and whiskey sauce. Thoroughly enjoyed the food. No complaints on that front at all. Service was fine but then came the bill fuck up. The mannie took the bill over and said "The 10% has been taken off already". He was half right.. the sauces had been discounted by 10% saving us a total of about 60p. The steaks were charged at full price (£7 more each than the online price). So I said to the guy that the prices were already a lot higher than online (which he got a little defensive about) and that I expected 10% off the whole bill. He took the bill away, corrected it and took it back but I don't believe for a second that that was an honest mistake. That was them blatantly trying their luck and seeing if they'd get away with it. So for that reason I can't go back when it re-opens which is a shame because I've never had a better steak in Aberdeen.

Went once and got food poisoning! Never again! And also emptied my wallet!

I'll have to give it a try when I'm in town.

That was in relation to Muchacho on Rose Street, which I recommended in another thread.

Just had lunch there, 3 Tacos for the price of 2 on Tuesdays. I said the Punch in the Face hottest salsa wasn't unearthly hot, well the ballpark has changed! Was speaking to the lassie that owns it today - well, her and her boyfriend do - and said that the sauce was hotter than usual. They had identified that the hottest wasn't hot enough and have added chilli paste to the mix in their preparation. It's still not mental hot but boy it has the real kick now that it didn't before so perfect, just the way I like it.

New beef filling introduced today and these little pancake things she gave me to try - free today apparently, pronounced "emperlada" maybe? - were magic.