Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Shinnie

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

What a fucking game from him yesterday! Think we look much better in center midfield with him as the clear holding mid. He has to be a Scotland cap this season, no excuse of him being a left back playing out of position any more. Yesterday he showed he's Scott Brown's replacement in the national team. The passion, energy, enthusiasm, leadership, plus he has the skill. Seems to be a real players captain too, very much a Scottish trait and I think it's a dis-service to the nation team to continue to exclude him. He makes those around him better too. Obviously I've red tinted spectacles on but who is better in center mid based on that performance? He's still relatively young and will get better too, contract extension definitely needed.

And while I'm being clearly biased, if Christie continues this form he needs to be in there too.

• 6 months later...

Think he needs a break. Due a suspension, how many game? Probably comes at the right time and needed, thought he was poor today but well done for not getting another booking.......or worse!

Think he misses both the Hibs and Celtic games, going by the RedTV commentary when he got his booking to trigger the suspension.

• 6 months later...

Not liking the soundbites coming from the club around Shinnies new contract.

Generally we don't air our laundry in public, so stating how it would put Shinnie right up there with the highest paid sounds to me as though the club are setting the groundwork to be able to say "at least we tried"

I also found it alarming that McInnes was on telly talking about Shinnie. Did he think it would pressurise him to accepting a deal? What was he playing at?

If Shinnie doesn't sign, he will make a hell of a lot more as a free agent. He will know what McLean is getting from Norwich and he will (corrrectly) think he's worth at least that much.

My position on this hasn't changed in the last year - I'd be amazed and delighted if Shinnie signed a new deal with us.

I'd be offering him the money Rooney was getting too and even then I think he'd get more lucrative offers from clubs South of the wall.

I'd hope shinnie does the right thing and signs a new contract. I don't think he'll stay but I'd like to think he's seen the comparison between the snake and McLean. One I would happily see permanently crocked, the other left with my wishes. Its making me nervous that he hasn't signed.

I dont expect him to sign one yet. The Bristol City interest will have made him think twice and he will know that going down south to a club of that nature he would easily get a contract on £8k/week plus.

If his agent can get 2 or 3 clubs definitely interested then I think he might sign a new contract in January with a clause guaranteeing we sell him if we get a bid of say £500k or over from next summer onwards

• 2 weeks later...

Might not be a popular opinion but I wouldn't be that bothered about us losing the midfield version of Shinnie

However it would be a different matter altogether if McInnes decided to suddenly play him in his most effective position

Certainly an opinion I share. We waited yonks for a proper left back, signed one, and play him in midfield. Ludicrous.  I'd sooner sign a proper central midfielder before a left back. I love his passion and drive, but he's rash, hence his card count last season. Keep him at left back please!

Might not be a popular opinion but I wouldn't be that bothered about us losing the midfield version of Shinnie

However it would be a different matter altogether if McInnes decided to suddenly play him in his most effective position

We haven't had a midfielder that comes close to the tenacity and drive of Shinnie since Severin and none of our existing midfielders come close. Yer Gleeson's might cut it against St Mirren, but I wouldn't want to go into a game against the hun or the tims without Shinnie in there (as shown recently in our powder-puff performance against them). He was phenomenal in there against the Tim in the last game of the season and carried us through the game at times away to Burnley.

His best position is left back, but the margin between Shinnie and Considine at left back (and the impact it has on games) versus Shinnie and Gleeson/Ball/Hoban(?) is considerable in favour of Shinnie playing in midfield. Unless either a) Gleeson/Ball remarkably ups their game; b) we completely change our style of play; c) sign a better midfielder; then we definitely can play Shinnie at left back this season. If not, then I think we need to choose one or the other for the sake of continuity (unless to cover injury of course) as I think chopping and changing is affecting Shinnie's performances too. The problem that we have is that we could play a midfield of Ferguson, Gleeson and Wright (or Ball in place of either of those) for 65% of the games and be fine, but when we get to the big games that combination just doesn't cut it and it's the heart of our team (and the pitch). We've shown on numerous occasions that Considine at left back is fine in the big games (see Burnley, Tims last game, Huns last game etc) if we don't start fucking about with him in a 5. We can mitigate for his lack of pace, but I don't see any way of mitigating the lack of ability in a midfield without Shinnie and I'm very surprised that you guys do (with existing personnel, obviously).

We wouldn't have beaten the Tims in the last game of the season with Shinnie at left back, we wouldn't have drawn with Burnley with Shinnie at left back. Those are the big games that we can't do without Shinnie being in midfield. I don't see the point in playing one way against the poorer teams and then completely changing for games against better teams but I can't see another way. We've only just found a way that we can play against better teams at all with the post-split games and the Burnley tie, I'm not sure that we should change that. Not without better players.

You admit that his best position is LB. Not that you can not, as this is screamingly obvious.

Since when does a team succeed playing footballers not in their strongest positions?

You're right that he's the only one in the middle with heart, with guts, with determination.

That he stands out for these qualities - essential for any winning formula - illustrates that the others don't have them.

McInnes has failed to recruit a competent midfielder of requisite winner mentality.

Or he has failed to instil the right mentality - which includes attitude and work ethic - to any midfielder needing help and encouragement to develop one. Unsurprisingly as the manager doesn't have one himself as he admitted, him saying he would've taken a point before the game at Easter Road.

Whatever your argument is Rico, please don't ignore or mitigate the bigger issue.

The extent of the manager's fuck ups is now adversely affecting Shinnie. That's the crime.