Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen - Kairat Almaty - 06/08/15 - 19:45 SOLD OUT

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the early 90s when my Ma started taking me to Pittodrie we always went to the Merkland stand. I loved it but then again at that age going to Pittodrie was the greatest honour in the world so I would've liked sitting anywhere.

Isn't the Merkland the cheapest place to sit? Surprised that doesn't help fill it in itself.

BBC Scotland news reporting it as Jack and McGinn as doubts.

Edit: as others have said think this is just misinformation being spread to keep Almaty guessing on our line up.

Reading this article on BBC website, I can see how you'd interpret it that way, but I don't necessarily think that's what is meant Jute. Think they are merely covering their arses in case the mystery injury is either Jack or McGinn.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes has one injury concern but will not reveal the identity of the player ahead of the return leg with Kairat Almaty.

The Dons trail 2-1 from last week's Europa League qualifying visit to Kazakhstan.

If fit, Niall McGinn and Ryan Jack are certain to return to the starting line-up, having been used as substitutes in Sunday's win at Dundee United.

Defender Mark Reynolds is a long-term absentee for the hosts.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes: "We feel ready for it.

"We felt ready for it last week and we're certainly ready for it tomorrow.

"We're not prioritising one competition over the other. We know the financial rewards for getting through this tie and hopefully beyond. We want to do well in all competitions.

"You have to adjust as the game unfolds but the fundamentals being you still need to stop good players having time to play.

"When good players have time on the ball as they have, it can be a problem.

"We just want to make sure we try and apply a bit more pressure all over the pitch from start to finish, really.

"There is an obligation to try and stop the opposition, frustrate the opposition but also try and impose ourselves on them so they have to do a bit more work as well."

Ohhh breaking the trend of no-one sitting in the merkie there Reidzer  ;)  I've never sat there before, is the view that bad?

My season ticket is in the Merkland so thats why im there lol.

No its not a bad view. Up until this season we were sat in the last row at the back directly behinf the goals which was fine. This season though we have moved around to the corner closer to the main stand and the view is definitely a lot better from slightly side on  ;D

Article in the National today:

Football: Ryan Jack says derby win has buoyed Aberdeen for Kairat visit

CAPTAIN Ryan Jack says Aberdeen go into tonight’s second leg of their Europa League qualifier against Kairat Almaty full of confidence – and boosted by Sunday’s 1-0 New Firm derby win over Dundee United at Tannadice.

The Granite City side trail 2-1 after last week’s match in Kazakhstan but Kenny McLean’s away goal could prove vital. Jack says the prospect of playing big matches such as tonight’s – at what is expected to be a sold-out Pittodrie, is the reason he extended his contract.

The midfielder ended speculation linking him with a move to Everton when he agreed a new two-year deal last summer and hopes his reward will be a place in the Europa League play-off round.

Jack said: “This is exactly what I want as a player. I want to be playing in the top competitions. For us, the Europa League is just that right now. Playing in front of sell-out crowds, which hopefully we will see tomorrow, is what we want as players.

“That is part of why I wanted to stay at this club. I’m looking forward to the match and hopefully we will get the result.

“It was a tough match last Thursday. We obviously came away with a defeat but we freshened things up on Sunday against Dundee United and got a great result. So we’re going into the second leg full of confidence. The first goal in any game is vital. Obviously we are going to look to get the first goal and a positive result. First and foremost though we need to keep it tight and make sure we don’t give away anything sloppy.”

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes is likely to ring the changes again. David Goodwillie, Niall McGinn, Ryan Jack and Peter Pawlett were all rested against United but should return.

Aberdeen have been pushing to fill their ground using the slogan #PackOutPittodrie and by lunchtime yesterday nearly 19,000 tickets had been sold.

However, McInnes cautioned that it is important that his players do not get too caught up in the atmosphere.

He said: “Fans are fans and they want to see their team winning and playing a certain way. I get all that. It’s not for me to preach patience. The desire from them for us to score is always clear to see. We have to try to feed off that. In the two previous European games the fans also recognised that, with the level of opposition we’re facing, we’re not going to get it all our own way for 90 minutes.

“Whether we get an early goal or the game doesn’t quite pan out how we want, it’s important we win the game. It’s about getting a balance between passion and energy, and a measured approach.”

New on here and have to agree. Think dads like me who usually head to the Merkland are taking thier kids to other parts of the ground. Few I know are doing the same.

Just collected my tickets and was told 18,500 ish sold now.

Going to be a great atmosphere.

Im going for 3-1 McGinn, McLean and Taylor

Welcome aboard mate.  :thumbsup:

havnt seen the goal back yet.  if was Taylor that's blow for him as he was immense the night.  Logan was our weak link totally aff his game.  the game plan was working well but not to be.  at this level it's small margins and we just snatched at out chances hayes mcgin  just got too excited.  . but they are side that win our league . canna fault the reds for effort . we got some great players here and were great side.  fans were amazing the night up there with best European nights .  oh well not to be roll on Sunday and season ahead.

I thought Aberdeen dominated that game and really gave it their all. Yes they didn't go 'gung-ho' until the last 10 minutes but I think it was the right approach. Need Rooney to find his touch again.

Logan didn't do great in first half but much improved in the second. Jonny Hayes was also not at his best - it's funny that we seem to win when Hayes plays well.