Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen - Kairat Almaty - 06/08/15 - 19:45 SOLD OUT

Massive game on thursday, a cheeky 1-0 win and we will see ourselves through to the play offs. Whether we can progress into the group stages is another thing, but the play offs are certainly achievable. Thanks to Tom and his stats, it got my hopes up and it would appear they don't travel well. However, they haven't had a game in-between our previous fixture so will have additional rest.

Pittodrie will hopefully be full, already nearly 15,000 tickets have been sold, so plenty of glory hunters are going to be in attendance, myself included. Will be my first trip to Pittodrie in years!  DM will have the team mentally prepared and the season has proved so far that this team knows how to dig deep.

Can't see us really shifting formation from that of last week though it would be nice to see DG get a goal for his european efforts.

In / out: In

Pre matcher: wherever the globes contingent are meeting

Match: Section Y

Post matcher: Hopefully celebrating!

Prediction: 2-0 dons, Hayes and DG.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think with all the traveling we've done in recent weeks coupled with Kairat Almaty having had a week off it's going to be tough for us to get through. Hopefully resting a few of the boys will have helped.

On a separate note, Rooney definitely appears to be struggling. Any idea if he's carrying an injury or something?

In / out: Out

Pre matcher: Home

Match: RedTV Hopefully

Post matcher: Hopefully celebrating!

Prediction: 2-1 Dons (Hayes and Pawlett). KA to win AET.

In / out - In

Pre match - Scotia

Match: - The Y

Post matcher: Nae sure

Prediction - 3-1 Dons (Consi, Shinnie and McLean)

Think it will be a very hard game, this lot look very decent going forward, being a goal down means we have to go for it, id be more nervous playing for a draw, although its rather unusual for me to be quite confident going into any game which is worrying in its self

In / out - In

Pre match - Driving

Match: RDU

Post matcher: driving home

Prediction - 2 Nil dons - (Robson, Goodwillie)

Could be a nervous match and will have to win the midfield battle to limit their attacking prowess.

If fit I could see Robson coming in to dictate play at the expense of flood although flood did well yesterday I can't see his style working in Europe.

In / out - In

Pre match - Driving

Match: RDU

Post matcher: driving home

Prediction - 2 Nil dons - (Robson, Goodwillie)

Could be a nervous match and will have to win the midfield battle to limit their attacking prowess.

If fit I could see Robson coming in to dictate play at the expense of flood although flood did well yesterday I can't see his style working in Europe.

I see your point, but Robson scares me, I never know if hes going to try a 50 yard back heel back pass under pressure or dive into some mad tackle. I think Flood will start, hopefully with the instructions to get it moving forward a bit quicker than he usually does

I see your point, but Robson scares me, I never know if hes going to try a 50 yard back heel back pass under pressure or dive into some mad tackle. I think Flood will start, hopefully with the instructions to get it moving forward a bit quicker than he usually does

Agreed re Robson. He's supposed to be the calm experienced one as well!  Flood seems to have played himself into contention but he could really only come in for Shinnie.  Given you can't see us not playing with three at the back you're gonna pick Shinnie alongside Jack every single time.  But, then again, we hasn't ever had a manager harder to predict in my memory so we could yet go 433 with shinnie at lb

In / out: In

Pre matcher: another journey on a supporters bus. Fucking shite public transport.

Match: Section Y

Post matcher: Bus back down the road pricing flights to various play off venues.

Prediction: 3-1 aet McGinn McLean and Rooney

Think Almaty will score so we will need to get 3 to go through. Not sure we will get 3 inside regulation 90 and think extra time will be required.

Surely we'll not go three at the back.

I'd go:

Ward

Logan Taylor Quinn Considine

Jack Shinnie

McLean McGinn Hayes

Rooney

Brown

Rose

Flood

Robson

Smith

Pawlett

Goodwillie

I fear one goal wont be enough.  I hope our away goal proves vital but I just feel we'll need to win by two.

I don't think the rest weekend will make a huge difference to them, not unless they've traveled early (have they?).  It's not the game time at this stage that is tiring for the players, it's the extended periods cramped on planes and the multiple time zones.

Surely we'll not go three at the back.

I'd go:

Ward

Logan Taylor Quinn Considine

Jack Shinnie

McLean McGinn Hayes

Rooney

Brown

Rose

Flood

Robson

Smith

Pawlett

Goodwillie

I fear one goal wont be enough.  I hope our away goal proves vital but I just feel we'll need to win by two.

I don't think the rest weekend will make a huge difference to them, not unless they've traveled early (have they?).  It's not the game time at this stage that is tiring for the players, it's the extended periods cramped on planes and the multiple time zones.

aye, i'd be happy with that, but i wouldnt be surprised to see Flood in for __________ (insert anyone) Dek likes him. the only way i see Flood fitting in is with Quinn on the bench, Consi going centre and Shinnie at left back

im getting scunnered with this "having to many decent players lark"  :neutral:

sure i saw on twitter that they are leaving today

Would you really drop Goodwillie though?  Can't see that happening after he was rested on the weekend and his performances in the qualifiers thus far.

I see Willo wants to see us all have a few more jars before the game to create a brilliant atmosphere. I'm sure we can oblige :D

Also, this to me sums up DM and why I love him:

McInnes spent last season playing down the rising expectation among the Aberdeen support but appears to be taking a more bullish attitude this term.

He said: “For the staff and players, we can’t affect what everybody else is saying whether it’s good or bad. People ask me about the intensity and the pressure but it has been there since day one. I knew what I was getting into and it’s why I was keen to take this job.

“This is why players should want to play for Aberdeen.

“There must be an element, when they sign or come through the youths, that they are coming to Aberdeen to win things.

“We have to meet that demand. If we lose two or three on the bounce, it will be Aberdeen have flattered to deceive and we’ll get criticism. We need to have a balance to it.”

The Aberdeen manager can’t wait to lock horns with Kairat Almaty at Pittodrie on Thursday as his team try to overhaul a 2-1 deficit from the first leg.

McInnes said: “We’ll have 20,000 fans right behind the boys. But we can’t say it is a special night at the minute. It will only be special if we get the job done.”

Ace quote from Deek.

I can see Flood in for Quinn but I hope not.

Goodwillie or Rooney is another tough one.  On form, Goodwillie shouldn't be dropped but I think if you want goals, you start Rooney.  Goodwillie is better if we're after something on the break but I think we should be much more proactive here.

Ace quote from Deek.

I can see Flood in for Quinn but I hope not.

Goodwillie or Rooney is another tough one.  On form, Goodwillie shouldn't be dropped but I think if you want goals, you start Rooney.  Goodwillie is better if we're after something on the break but I think we should be much more proactive here.

Would be very disppointed if Quinn was dropped. He has played well in every game and has help solidify the defence.

Do not think Thursday is a game for Flood anyway as he always slows us down when we are moving ball forward and given we need to score and probably more than once we will be better with someone who can move the ball forward quickly and also provide a goal threat.

Flood will be on the bench I think ,  against better opposition that's were flood gets found out and we canna give away the ball as much fit he does in a game against this lot. I  keep flood fresh for killie on sunday as that's the games we need him .

Its going be a rollercoaster of a game  but confident we will get right result.  Mclean to keep on scoring

I can't see Flood starting on Thursday. You would have to assume Jack, McGinn & Goodwillie will all come into the starting XI after being rested on Sunday and McLean will keep his place from Sunday after scoring in his last 2 games.

I think it will be:

Ward

Logan Taylor Quinn Consi

Shinnie Jack

McGinn McLean Hayes

Goodwillie

Even though McLean has scored in his last 2 if there was to be a change from the XI above then I think it would be Pawlett coming in so McLean can be effective from the bench again when they should be tiring.

Agreed, they should give freebies to schools to fill it up and get then hooked young

Amazed that they don't do that. Especially since we're more successful than we were a few years ago.

11807502_10153470265062482_4997581238692416799_o.jpg

Crazy how empty it is there in comparison to other areas of the ground. Folk with kids happier to pay a bit more for a better view?

Edit: Good read on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33734412

Few years back for a game against Dundee I was running late so ended up at the ground about 5mins after kick off and only had £15 in the wallet. Wasnt in the mood to run around to see if the ticket office was still open so just went to the merkland turnstiles. The guy gave me a strange look then said 'you know this is the family stand' to which I said 'yes and its the only one I can afford'. He gave me a further strange look and muttered something about accompanying a child then finally took my money and let me in.

I hadnt been in the merkland since the 1996 Brondby game but first thing I clocked were signs warning me about offensive language. There also seemed to be a consensus that standing up at any point in the game (even for a goal) was frowned upon. Seemed so quiet in there until a couple of dads decided that the offensive language signs didnt apply (thank fuck I said) but around me just seemed to be families of which only one member (usually the dad) was watching the game. The rest looked bored, cold and kept asking for more coke or sweets.

Just checked back and that was 11 years ago and I havent been near the merkland since.

I really think they need to shift the family section into the main stand and see if a singing section would work in the merkland (low roof and twice the size of 'the shed')

Really bugs me seeing the gaps in that stand these days. Seem to recall it used to be packed every week back in the early 90s.

They use to give away free McDonalds voucher in those days though. It was the only reason me and my mate had a season ticket in the ill-fated 1999/2000 season. You use to also get Wee Alickie punting Green Final floaters into the stand too!!

Only thing that would encourage me to take my wee one in the Merkland is the fact there shouldn't be any naughty language. In regards to the view, I personally prefer to be on the touchline so moving the Family Section into the Main would work for me (at least until the wee one has learnt to swear from other sources).

Amazed that they don't do that. Especially since we're more successful than we were a few years ago.

11807502_10153470265062482_4997581238692416799_o.jpg

Crazy how empty it is there in comparison to other areas of the ground. Folk with kids happier to pay a bit more for a better view?

Edit: Good read on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33734412

New on here and have to agree. Think dads like me who usually head to the Merkland are taking thier kids to other parts of the ground. Few I know are doing the same.

Just collected my tickets and was told 18,500 ish sold now.

Going to be a great atmosphere.

Im going for 3-1 McGinn, McLean and Taylor