Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Nope, Exit is in Novi Sad on the grounds of a fortress. I was hoping to go this year for my stagger but it proved too tricky to get a group from the UK to northern Serbia so we are going to Balaton Sound in Hungary instead.

I swear a mate of mine said it was moving, oh well, that means I must try and get there next year then. Balaton Sound, is that the one near Budapest which is ridiculously cheap for four days of carnage?

Just checked, that line up is pretty good! Beastie Boys, Hernan Cattaneo, Basement Jaxx, Darren Emerson and Eric Prydz. That is going to be shit hot.

Just finished reading 'Bringing Down the House' which has recently been released as a film staring Kevin Spacey.

The book was ok, it's about a group of maths students who are recruited by a card shark who teaches them how to work as a team to scoop millions in Vegas playing blackjack.

Not really much in it that raises the eyebrows which considering it's set largely in Sin City.  I was expecting a pretty sordid story of neon lights, high class hookers and mountains of cash rolling in.  But then again, what did I really expect from a bunch of maths geeks?

Just finished reading 'Bringing Down the House' which has recently been released as a film staring Kevin Spacey.

The book was ok, it's about a group of maths students who are recruited by a card shark who teaches them how to work as a team to scoop millions in Vegas playing blackjack.

Not really much in it that raises the eyebrows which considering it's set largely in Sin City.  I was expecting a pretty sordid story of neon lights, high class hookers and mountains of cash rolling in.  But then again, what did I really expect from a bunch of maths geeks?

I've seen the film (which is not bad - good soundtrack) and have bought the book to give it a read.

Read the book about 4 years ago seem to remember it being quite good.

Yeah, it's based on a true story.

Picked up another one of those John Corey books Al.  Plum Island I think it's called.  Looking forward to that next.   :thumbsup:

have read all the books written by Nelson Demille...... if you've enjoyed them so far, trawl charity shops and Amazon for the others :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Just finished a couple books

Fup - jim dodge, quality read, set in mid west america somewhere, top notch. also check out stone junction by the same author it really is a tremendous journey through america

The seven days of peter crumb - Jonny Glynn - good read if a little horrific a times, set in London and is about a guy going into complete meltdown.  oooft

• 1 month later...

The Bang-Bang Club by Greg Marinovitch & Joao Silva

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bang-bang-Club-Making-South-Africa/dp/009928149X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217339700&sr=8-1

Very much an eye-opener of the last years of apartheid in South Africa.  The Bang-Bang Club was a group of four intrepid photographers who put their lives on the line to get pictures on the front-line of the hidden civil war that raged in the SA townships.  Only two of them survived (though one of them was shot on three separate occasions).  Of the others one was shot dead and another (Kevin Carter of Manic Street Preachers single fame) killed himself because he was too sensitive to the things he had seen.

If you are at all interested in South African politics you must read this book.

I read, on holiday, "The Power of the Dog" by Don Winslow. It's all about the American war on drugs set over 30 years. Winslow tells of the involvement of the DEA ,the Mafia, CIA, Mexican drug cartels by telling the story through the eyes of several different characters. Best book I've read in a long while.

Just started on "Dreams From My Father" by Barack Obama or Barry as he was called as a youngster.

I'll be interested to hear what its like.  I've been told his "The Audacity of Hope" book is extremely well written.

Just finishing Terry Pratchett "Making Money" at the moment.

I read, on holiday, "The Power of the Dog" by Don Winslow. It's all about the American war on drugs set over 30 years. Winslow tells of the involvement of the DEA ,the Mafia, CIA, Mexican drug cartels by telling the story through the eyes of several different characters. Best book I've read in a long while.

Believe it or not I took the don Winslow book on my hols and never even opened the front cover.... me thinks its next on the list on account of your recommendation.... better be good mind ;)