Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

41 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

If you've accidentally purchased Born to Run by Christopher McDougall instead, then I can highly recommend it too. You won't look at yer shoes the same again.

Never heard of it Rico, but just googled it and looks like it might be an interesting read.

Do you recommend ?

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, scotfree said:

Just finished Pat Nevin's autobiography. I've always liked Pat, but this book is shite. All he does through it is him saying what a modest, man of the people and how good principled he is. 

Next you'll be telling me that Trump's "art of the deal" is self congratulatory pish.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Bloody January by Alan Parks

Set in Glasgow in the early 70's and featuring Harry McCoy, the most un politically correct police offer ever, even by standards from fifty years ago.

Cracking read, helped for me by knowing so many of the city where it is set.

Part of a series of books and this is a belter of a start.

A new name to me and a welcome addition to the Scottish Noir genre. Already got February's Son (book 2) loaded onto the Kindle and ready to go. 

54 minutes ago, scotfree said:

Will have to look that one up, Al. Is it a bit like Laidlaw by William McIlvanney? 

Definitely not dissimilar mate.

Main character in both of those series of books are what I would describe as interesting characters 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/05/2022 at 08:44, scotfree said:

Will have to look that one up, Al. Is it a bit like Laidlaw by William McIlvanney? 

On the subject of William McIlvanney  I have just finished reading the new Laidlaw book.

Interesting as in it goes back to the start and is his first case. Also  McIlvanney passed away whilst in the middle of writing it, so Ian Rankin actually finished it.

Very decent read in keeping with the other three books in the series.

Definitely recommended 👌

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BigAl said:

On the subject of William McIlvanney  I have just finished reading the new Laidlaw book.

Interesting as in it goes back to the start and is his first case. Also  McIlvanney passed away whilst in the middle of writing it, so Ian Rankin actually finished it.

Very decent read in keeping with the other three books in the series.

Definitely recommended 👌

I'm reading Skagboys by Irvine Welsh at the moment. But I have Alan Park's books up next. I need to re-read The Laidlaw books again. Have you read any of Liam McIlvanney's books, Al? The Quaker was excellent. 

5 hours ago, scotfree said:

I'm reading Skagboys by Irvine Welsh at the moment. But I have Alan Park's books up next. I need to re-read The Laidlaw books again. Have you read any of Liam McIlvanney's books, Al? The Quaker was excellent. 

Indeed I have mate.

There was another book released earlier this year also featuring McCormack from The Quaker.

It is called The Heretic and given the fact you like this author, I guarantee you'll like it.

Might go back and read the Laidlaw books again as well.

I have them on my kindle so could rattle through them on holiday later in the summer.