Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Could have been in the World According to Truth thread, but it's a book, so it goes here. "33 myths of the system", Well worth a read, and not that long, and also free to download in any format:

http://expressiveegg.org/portfolio/33-myths-of-the-system/

Just read the first 20 odd pages. Thanks for the rec. I think I'm going to love it  :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
On 23/05/2018 at 15:26, RicoS321 said:

Have you read "The Plot Against America"?

A good read like. Surprised there's not been a film of it like, as it'd fit well in cinema format. Not read American Pastoral, will maybe make a space for it on the kindle at some point.

Holy fuckers, they stole my idea. Series (nae film) out or coming out on Amazon soon.

Still a good read.

33 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Holy fuckers, they stole my idea. Series (nae film) out or coming out on Amazon soon.

Still a good read.

Yeah read it a good few years ago but thanks Rico.

Have a right few books as ARC's via NetGalley for reading and review but to be honest looking for a couple of decent autobiographies 

Currently reading The American Civil War: A Military History by John Keegan. Decent read if you are interested in the subject.

Next will be Arnhem by Antony Beevor. Enjoyed his other books on World War II so expecting this to be good as well.

Arnhem was an amazing piece of history. A neighbour in the early 70's was a para and did the jump. I was just a young kid and the only one he confided in. Told me all about it and my respect for him, which was already high (due to good instinct) went to a level I've never had for any other human being since. Bravery, planning and efficiency at the optimum. 

11 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Arnhem was an amazing piece of history. A neighbour in the early 70's was a para and did the jump. I was just a young kid and the only one he confided in. Told me all about it and my respect for him, which was already high (due to good instinct) went to a level I've never had for any other human being since. Bravery, planning and efficiency at the optimum. 

Which was nice 

absolute bullshitter rocket 

8 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

I'm half way through A Decent Ride by Irvine Welsh. I doubt I'll finish it. He's a great writer and has produced some major magic but too much padding in some of his other works, like a publisher pushing for money. 

Irvine Welsh!

Chewing gum for the brain. Uninteresting rubbish written for halfwits.

Even you have a bit more about you than that, squeaky...

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

No one reading during these times of nothing to do out with the house ?

Have read loads and loads these past few months.

Currently on Tana French "The Searcher"

Started out kind of slow but decent read nonetheless and awaiting the twist in the storyline

• 1 month later...

I'm half way through "One Two Three Four: The Beatles in Time" by Craig Brown, the sometimes writer for "Private Eye". I have to say it's by far the best book I've read about The Beatles.

Even if you're not a fan of The Beatles It's worth a read as it goes in to the culture of the class systems at the time and how The Beatles ( and Stones ) brought a change about.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/apr/13/one-two-three-four-the-beatles-in-time-by-craig-brown-review

• 5 weeks later...
On 15/04/2021 at 02:20, manc_don said:

Haven't had time to read lately, but hoping with winter coming that that might change.  Al, when is the final book in that Dutch series due out?

Sorry mate, just remembered about this.

To the best of my knowledge I don't think it has been announced yet, but must try and find out.

I've mostly been reading Nordic Noir type books for the past wee while.

Having just had a look on T'internet for any word of it, I can't find any reference Manc, making me wonder if there is indeed to be a third. I was always under the impression there was.

Came across this whilst looking on Amazon, and know with your connections to the city, that this might be of interest to you. Might give the first installment a go myself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/kindle/series/B07DRPZVNJ?ie=UTF8&ref_=sr_1_17

Aye, I’d had a scan but couldn’t find any reference to it. Definitely felt like there’d be a third . Just thought with all the lockdowns it’d be a prime opportunity to finish a trilogy ?

will have a look at those books, been after something new to read

• 3 months later...

43319881.thumb.jpg.a949ee5d62ecc3068f7a7dbc76f9991f.jpg

I don't normally do "horror" books as I've never found them scary. But King is just a master in telling a story. His book '11/22/63' has to be up there as one of my favourites. I like a book that you have to invest time in. 'IT' has over 1000 pages in it and '11/22/63' has over 800 pages. Time well spent.

11/22/63 was a brilliant book, absolutley loved it.

I've read dozens and dozens of books during the last eighteen months.

Tend to read on my kindle but the missus had a paperback copy of "The Beekeeper of Aleppo" which I read after she was finished and have to say even though it wouldn't normally be my cup of tea, I found it enlightening and provided me with an understanding of why refugees and asylum seekers do what they do even though it was sensitively written and not remotely brutal or graphic

Next up it's "Born to Run" by none other than The Boss himself

• Like 1