Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Indeed so, brother. ;)

If you like that one, try The Temple and the Lodge by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh.

I shall check it out  :thumbsup:

I'm not 'in' but my Dad (rip) was and i have a open mind to the world and the book was recomended to me by a friend of his.

makes a lot of sense

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading Willie Miller - "The Don" and I thought it was an excellent read.

As you would expect there is plenty of reminiscing about the "glory days" but he is critical about certain people, including Ian Donald, Ebbe, Zoltan Varga and Keith Wyness which was interesting.  He is certainly no fan of Ian Donald and makes it clear he would not have returned to the club unless Donald was moved out of a decision making role at the club.  You can't beat a bit of Ian Donald bashing!!!  ;D

On his famous incident with Alan Hansen in the world cup, WM was remarkably even-handed when accepting partial blame for it.

There was at least one error in the book - seemingly Montrose play at Glebe Park!  :doh:

Nowhere does it say (as reported by somebody on The Hat) that he said he would never allow a Gothenburg great to manage the Dons while he was still director.  :thumbsup::wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd ressurect this thread to see if anyone's read anything of note recently.

I'm still struggling on with Catch-22 which really is quite funny but very, very difficult to read for some reason.  About a chapter at a time is about all I can manage.

Thought about picking up other books in the meantime but I'm stubborn, so I'm going to persevere with it until it's finished.

:hammer:

Thought I'd ressurect this thread to see if anyone's read anything of note recently.

I'm still struggling on with Catch-22 which really is quite funny but very, very difficult to read for some reason.  About a chapter at a time is about all I can manage.

Thought about picking up other books in the meantime but I'm stubborn, so I'm going to persevere with it until it's finished.

:hammer:

I was the same withe Catch-22 - it's a really good book, and like you say, very funny in places - however, i don't think it's the kind of book you can read in big chunks.  I don't know the reason behind that as it's not one of those that loads you with detail until you feel exhausted from reading at the end of a chapter, nor is it anything to do with it being written badly as well, it's written very cleverly.  Weird. ???

I've read all three Stuart Macbride books and loved them all - I think I read each one in the space of a week and had difficulty putting them down.

I'm now back onto Brilliant Orange by David Winner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-Orange-Neurotic-Genius-Football/dp/0747553106 - bought it ages ago (via a reccommendation on a similar thread elsewhere ;) ) prior to getting into the Stuart Macbride books.   

It got put on the backburner as a result - I've only just started reading it a week or so ago and it's superb thus far.  Good insights into the "Total Football" culture and an interesting block about the Dutch hatred of the Germans all coming to a head after losing to them in the 1974 World Cup.

Definitely worth a look.

I'm now back onto Brilliant Orange by David Winner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-Orange-Neurotic-Genius-Football/dp/0747553106 - bought it ages ago (via a reccommendation on a similar thread elsewhere ;) ) prior to getting into the Stuart Macbride books.   

It got put on the backburner as a result - I've only just started reading it a week or so ago and it's superb thus far.  Good insights into the "Total Football" culture and an interesting block about the Dutch hatred of the Germans all coming to a head after losing to them in the 1974 World Cup.

Definitely worth a look.

Wonderful book. I've just started "Ajax Barcelona Cruyff", which appears to be a series of articles on Cruyff throughout his career. David Winner translated it into English although he's not actually written any of it. If it's worth a read I'll let you know and i'll send it on to you.

Wonderful book. I've just started "Ajax Barcelona Cruyff", which appears to be a series of articles on Cruyff throughout his career. David Winner translated it into English although he's not actually written any of it. If it's worth a read I'll let you know and i'll send it on to you.

Fantastic - cheers loon. 

I must admit i never appreciated just how much of a legend Cruyff was / is over in Holland.  Certainly ahead of his time in terms of asking questions of the establishment and making people think differently about things.

It's a very clever book - the crossovers between the likes of Dutch art and architecture, and they football they play is not something i've ever heard of before.  Plus, it's really well written.

Watched 'A Guide To Recognising Your Saints' at the weekend.  The guy who wrote the book actually directed the film, which I quite enjoyed.

Nothing mind blowing, just a nice little tale of a guy growing up in a tough neighbourhood in New York.  Starred Robert Downey Jr and a young Scottish actor from Greenock.

Both worth filing in the  "worth a look" pile.    :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the Willie Miller book and since I'm doing fuck all else today, I finished the book I was reading whilst I commute to work - Night Fall by Nelson Demille.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Fall-Nelson-DeMille/dp/0751531804/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204488819&sr=8-1

A good wee read and I'm pleased to hear the main character (a New York detective turned counter-terrorist squad agent) appears in a few of his other books.  Probably pick them up the next time I'm buying some more books.

Just finished the Willie Miller book and since I'm doing fuck all else today, I finished the book I was reading whilst I commute to work - Night Fall by Nelson Demille.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Fall-Nelson-DeMille/dp/0751531804/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204488819&sr=8-1

A good wee read and I'm pleased to hear the main character (a New York detective turned counter-terrorist squad agent) appears in a few of his other books.  Probably pick them up the next time I'm buying some more books.

ST, can recommend Nelson Demille books as I've read them all. :thumbsup:

Currently working my way through "The Ball Is Round. A Global History of Football".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ball-Round-Global-History-Football/dp/0670914800/ref=pd_sbs_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1204502140&sr=8-1

Onto the last 200 or so pages and we are into the 90s and the global change in football driven by money and the break up of communist europe.

Has been an excellent read, although at times you feel you want a bit more detail and a bit less stuff about england but covers in reasonable detail the game throughout europe, africa and south america, with a little less about North America and Asia.