Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Langfield or Brown?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep thinking back to an interview with Alex McLeish on Theo Snelders becoming Jim Leighton's replacement. He said that as long as Theo understood "Stay on your bloomin' line Theo" they'd be ok.  That was the understanding he and Miller had with Leighton.

When Leighton went to United he was playing behind a poor defence and one which changed week to week. He was exposed badly down there by his defence and he lost a lot of goals where the ball flew across the face of his 6 yard line and he didn't know whether to come for it or not.

We now have two goalkeepers working under Leighton and neither of them come off their line. Coincidence? I've no idea if Leighton is a good coach or not, but it's a worrying trend.

There's not much in it tbh and for that reason alone we should be looking for a new no.1 in the summer.

Does Leighton have any input as to what keepers we bring in? His coaching doesn't seem to be making much difference so in all honesty I'd be looking at punting him as well as Brown and Langfield.

I happen to think Langfield is a far better keeper than Brown. Brown has made a few decent stops this season but has also made a number of mistakes. I felt he should have been dropped after the semi final and after Saturday I feel McInnes has to give Langfield another shot. It is only fair and a bit of competition for places can only be a good thing. I know Langfield has made mistakes in the past but so have all the best keepers. Langfield has pulled off some incredible saves in the past too. It should also be noted that the defence in front of Brown is far better than previous seasons.

A new keeper in the summer has to be a priority and one with a proven track record!

Brown and Langfield are different shades of shite. New keeper required for us to kick on. It's that simple. I hope the board and the manager get it sorted promptly in the summer.

Anyone know how good the boy Rodgers is? If we punt Brown and Clangers and use their wages on bringing in a decent no 1 and put Rodgers on the bench would that not be better than having 2 keeps that just aren't up to it?

• 2 months later...

He's earned it, in so much as he's met the required criteria.

For me, he's been a decent enough servant who has always fought his way back into the team and he has, until now at least, always proven to be better than those brought in to replace him.

I can see this being the lowest attended fixture in a long while though. He's hardly a fans favourite.

Langfield was in the Scotland squad when we had a solid defence in front of him. When we next had a solid defence, he saved the pens that delivered our first trophy in years. His flaws were over emphasised by some horrendous players in front of him over the years with the added factor of McGhee's Man management further exasperating evident weaknesses. I think he gets way more stick than he's due but even I'm nae exactly rushing to get a ticket to see Brighton.

It's a shame they didn't manage to get someone bigger in for it as I fear you may be right, it will be a very low turn out.  I was sad for Consi but again, he's not one of the favourites.  He's probably been made a scapegoat a few times, but unfortunately for him, he's in a position whereby every mistake invariably leads to a goal.  I used to try and defend that but I think it is now paramount that we have a no1 goal keeper in the summer.  Having someone that isn't reliant on a good defence for their own form is what could be the difference.

We don't accept players that have to be carried by the team outfield, why between the sticks?

Langfield was in the Scotland squad when we had a solid defence in front of him. When we next had a solid defence, he saved the pens that delivered our first trophy in years. His flaws were over emphasised by some horrendous players in front of him over the years with the added factor of McGhee's Man management further exasperating evident weaknesses. I think he gets way more stick than he's due but even I'm nae exactly rushing to get a ticket to see Brighton.

Dear me. That is extremely generous. Not sure how you can, for example, say that the players in front of him were in anyway connected to him chucking one in at Celtic Park meaning we lost the game one nil? 

He's a poor keeper who struggles with the basics and please don't say he's a good shotstopper - he's average at that aspect of the game. An aspect which is a pre-requisite for a professional goalkeeper.

I am sorry goalkeeping is the one we will keep having problems with them two here.  Leighton been  waste time , it is a big problem and it usually rears its head in big games. . oh for a commanding keeper instead two keepers that turn into bonnie Langford at set pieces and one and ones.

I am sorry goalkeeping is the one we will keep having problems with them two here.  Leighton been  waste time , it is a big problem and it usually rears its head in big games. . oh for a commanding keeper instead two keepers that turn into bonnie Langford at set pieces and one and ones.

Bonnie Langford is an excellent keeper.  >:D

• 3 weeks later...

DONS fans are being offered the chance to play against their club’s Euro heroes from 2007.

Many of the side who knocked Dnipro out of the UEFA Cup that season are reuniting as part of goalkeeper Jamie Langfield’s testimonial celebrations.

Darren Mackie, Michael Hart, skipper Scott Severin, Lee Miller, Derek Young and Steve Lovell are among those who have already agreed to take part in a seven-a-side match during the half-time interval at Langfield’s tribute game against Brighton at Pittodrie on Sunday, July 26.

And Dons fans can pay to be in the team who takes them on.

A similar match was staged during the interval at Andrew Considine’s testimonial match earlier this year.

Dons chairman Stewart Milne was among those who played in sides that included club legends Theo Snelders, Paul Mason, Bobby Connor, Brian Irvine, Willem van der Ark and Arild Stavrum.

Keeper Langfield’s testimonial committee are hoping the opportunity to play against the Dons who recorded that famous result in the Ukraine will be a big hit with the Red Army.

Chairman Ian McIntosh said: “Playing in that match is one of Jamie’s fondest memories as an Aberdeen player.

“His performance in the Ukraine was also one of his best for the Dons.

“We are delighted so many of the side have agreed to return to Pittodrie to help celebrate his big night.”

Those who play in the half-time match will receive a complete team kit and set of souvenir photos.

Their shirts will also be framed with a photo plus they get two tickets that will allow them entry to one of the lounges for the Dons v Brighton match, which will include all food and drink.

Anyone interested should e-mail jamielangfieldtc@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...