Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Transfer Window 2015

From todays pre match prezzer

From the Press Conference at Pittodrie:

Aberdeen FC @AberdeenFC

Derek - We targeted two players, we got one but not the other. Delighted to get Simon. A player who can help us. Simon thrives on service and is a strong willing runner and good team player.

I spoke to John Hughes this morning and he agrees we acted in a right and proper manner throughout. I think there has to be guidance in these matters as we triggered the clause in his contract.

I trust the players I have at the club and we look to win as many of the last fifteen games as we can. Celtic are always the toughest challenge but it's always an opportunity.

Willo and Ryan still out. Jonny has been bitten by a dog but will play.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondered when someone from the club would come out with a quote on the matter. As others have said, I doubt this will be the last we hear of it.

Probably not, I'm sure the full story will come out as to why the move broke down.  At the very least it's good to know the players McInnes claims to have been targeting.

Caley have played a blinder here... they're now left with a player who is deeply unhappy, has lost his trust in his employers and actively wants to be elsewhere. And they've missed out on a nice wedge of cash.  Well played Caley, well played.

I'd imagine watching our game tomorrow night in front of a (near) full house may tip Tansey over the edge... what could have been.

Instead, the home games he has to look forward to for the rest of the season will attract a fraction of tomorrow night's attendance and a fraction of the importance.

Caley have played a blinder here... they're now left with a player who is deeply unhappy, has lost his trust in his employers and actively wants to be elsewhere. And they've missed out on a nice wedge of cash.  Well played Caley, well played.

I'd imagine watching our game tomorrow night in front of a (near) full house may tip Tansey over the edge... what could have been.

Instead, the home games he has to look forward to for the rest of the season will attract a fraction of tomorrow night's attendance and a fraction of the importance.

;D

Eloquently put there BB. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Edit: according to Agent Scotland on twitter we are still looking to get a midfielder in the free agent market...

Spot on.

It can't look good to the rest of the Caley squad either, must be a few of them thinking their contracts aren't worth the paper their written on now.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-boss-derek-mcinnes-reveals-7294914#g3wgMA9G2xX2qiZp.97

ABERDEEN manager Derek McInnes would welcome an investigation by football authorities into their failed attempts to sign Inverness midfielder Greg Tansey.

McInnes is baffled by Caley Thistle's refusal to allow Tansey permission to speak to the Dons, who believe they triggered a clause in his contract by submitting a £200,000 bid.

Aberdeen now go into their crucial match against Ladbrokes Premiership leaders Celtic having failed to secure cover for injured midfielders Ryan Jack and Willo Flood.

"There has to be some sort of guidance as to how these things can be resolved quickly," McInnes said.

"Greg's agent told us about the clause weeks ago. We met the clause. I don't actually know why he's not here. I would actually welcome some sort of investigation because it's unclear why he isn't here and we feel he should be.

"We wanted Greg and Greg was keen to come here but that's between the player and Inverness now and we move on."

McInnes does not feel his club did anything wrong in the saga and is confident his Inverness counterpart agrees.

"I spoke to John Hughes this morning and we have acted professionally, honestly and with integrity throughout this and he agrees with that," he said.

"So there's absolutely no problem from John's point of view.

"We worked extremely hard to get the player. Two-hundred grand isn't easy for us to put together and I've had to generate a lot of that through bits and pieces.

"We felt the offer would trigger a clause in the player's contract that would allow him to be here. We understand Inverness's desire to keep him but we were as surprised as anyone that that wasn't met.

"The only thing we are maybe guilty of is not going in a wee bit earlier. But even on Friday morning when I found out that we could make the offer, it was my call not to disrupt Inverness' preparations for their game on Saturday.

"We wanted Greg and Greg was keen to come here but that's between the player and Inverness now and we move on."

McInnes does not feel his club did anything wrong in the saga and is confident his Inverness counterpart agrees.

"I spoke to John Hughes this morning and we have acted professionally, honestly and with integrity throughout this and he agrees with that," he said.

"So there's absolutely no problem from John's point of view.

"We worked extremely hard to get the player. Two-hundred grand isn't easy for us to put together and I've had to generate a lot of that through bits and pieces.

"We felt the offer would trigger a clause in the player's contract that would allow him to be here. We understand Inverness's desire to keep him but we were as surprised as anyone that that wasn't met.

"The only thing we are maybe guilty of is not going in a wee bit earlier. But even on Friday morning when I found out that we could make the offer, it was my call not to disrupt Inverness' preparations for their game on Saturday.

"When their game was called off, we put the offer in on Saturday morning. We always got a response back and it was clear Inverness were keen to keep their player and I understand that.

"But all the same we have worked extremely hard to bring the player here and it doesn't lie with us why he isn't here. You would need to ask them."

McInnes now turns his attentions to one of the biggest games of the season and he is determined to cut Celtic's six-point lead.

"It's always about the win," said McInnes, who brings on-loan MK Dons striker Simon Church into his squad in place of David Goodwillie, who moved to Ross County on a temporary basis.

"Of course we see the importance of three points. We enjoy playing at home and we relish the opportunity to try and do that. There's nothing to be frightened of.

"Celtic are always the toughest challenge for us but it's a fixture that gives us the most opportunity, to win and inflict some damage on them as well. You always have to take that opportunity against teams round about you."

Seems to be the Aberdeen side to the story.

Wouldn't expect anything else, I'll be interested to see if the SFA do anything about it. The game in a couple of weeks time will be nice and feisty anyway! John Hughes will be delighted he's helped out his beloved Timothy.

For some horrible reason I can't shake the feeling the moronic element to our support will spend the match giving Tansey dogs abuse for absolutely no reason. I hope I'm wrong though...

Having a wee look to see if ICT had a fans forum and stumbled across this.

Seems the loathing of all things Aberdeen have sunk to a new low.

Appears to be some absolute roasters on this site.

http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/30242-greg-tansey/

Much like the place itself Al.

Truth be told i don't think they ever got over how long it took them to get their first win, 21 games was it?

On topic, i think this one will run for a wee bit.  One thing I did take from CTO was that it's a fair point if the agent was contractually obliged to stay silent about the release clause.  That Aberdeen's source was the agent is welcome information but we can still only guess at the specifics of the clause.  I do wonder if there is any kind breach of contract ruling in Tanseys favour (and if it was I think we can agree that's a pretty massive breach of contract if so) if he would then have the option to tear up his contract up and sign for us as a free agent.

What a bunch of fucking thickos on that site!

It's understandable that they'd be upset at us trying to sign another one of their "best" players and they harped on a lot about how we were "shafting" them by not leaving them time to sign a replacement but the transfer window is the transfer window. They (and we'd) be naive to think that Tansey was our first choice. He clearly wasn't. But as long as we're operating within the transfer window we're doing nothing wrong. The fact that we're signing a lot of their players is tough shit. Bigger clubs buy players from smaller clubs. That's happened for decades and decades. The comparison between us and the Old Firm of the 90s was nonsense too. We buy Caley players to strengthen our 1st team not to pad out our bench.

The rumour I heard was that we'd not offered the cash up front but rather in a structured deal and Caley wanted the money up front but according the McInnes now that wasn't the issue. I'm confident that we've done nothing wrong. The Caley fans greeting can be quite simply put down to sour grapes. We have to deal with the same thing. Sunderland came in and took our best player for peanuts. No one was angry. We didn't begrudge Russell the move.

• 2 weeks later...