Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

NFL

manc_don

I like to watch the NFL too, more a highlights sorta guy as i just never have time to watch a whole game live.

Super Bowl XX was the first time i watched it, i think Channel 4 showed it. Bears v Patriots. Defo glamourous stuff.

I became a fan of the Dolphins chiefly because of Dan Marino, actually had a shirt with his numer 13 on it, pretty naff style really but i was young.  :redface:

Always wondered how UK guys would go about selecting their NFL team, anything in particular that made you choose that team?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been getting into nfl the past 2-3 years. Recently started the daily fantasy sports and my interest has increased.

Nae sure I have much chance of winning the millionaire maker but you got a be in it to win it!  :thumbsup:

Don't really have a team, I went to chargers v Cowboys a few years ago and away to bengals redskins at end of the month.

I picked the Ravens because they were the first team I went to see (a home win against the Steelers, which helped). I was also really into The Wire at that point, and somebody had a sign that said "re-elect Mayor Carcetti". Sealed the deal.

I was over in the states for a mate's wedding last year, and ended up going to college games on the Friday and Saturday nights (SMU and Longhorns), the Cowboys game on the Sunday night, flew across to San Diego for Chargers-Bears in Monday Night Football, and then headed home via New York for Thursday Night Football vs the Bills. It wasn't actually as expensive as you'd think, internal flights are pretty affordable - stadium beers less so!

Vikings fan here only reason back in 97 first time in Florida was buying the loon an NFL top I thought he would go for a Dolphins or Bucs top being as it was Florida but he was adamant he wanted a Vikings one with the QB at that time Dante Culpepper on the back, and in all the years since this year looks like the first they have a reasonable shot at going all the way to the Super Bowl.

As an aside the wee sports outlet we got the top in was in Florida Mall. Fitba wasnt big in the States then but they had tops from all the top European teams of the time.....AC Milan, Real Madrid, Arsenal etc. Only had one Scottish team available. Celtic? nope......Huns? nah........Dons? ffs..........nope the only Scottish team available was the world famous East f@ckin Fife!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I didn't expect it, but the Rams are currently 10-0 up on the Giants after the first 1/4.  Giants are not at the races today, I genuinely thought that they would pick up where they left off last week (admittedly I only watched the highlights from the last game).  Guys in the studio thought they'd come back into the game as it wears on due to time difference...

Edit: Some touch down from Collins. Ooft!

I've been following the NFL for years but still haven't made it to a game, despite having been to the NBA and NHL  ???

Follow the Giants as I went to primary school with their "Scottish" ex kicker Lawrence Tynes for a few years. The Giants won two Superbowls while he was there  :thumbsup:

First player to score a point in a competitive game on UK soil....at Wembley, born in Scotland. I like that.

Saw that this morning, happy days  :thumbsup:

Might have considered heading down to see Saints if I had not already seen them play in Oakland a couple of years ago. Drew Brees is one of my favourite non 9ers players.

Planning to head over to the US next year so doubt will have the spare funds to attend a London game as well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 games now confirmed as

Saints @ Miami - Wembley

Ravens @ Jaguars - Wembley

Vikings @ Browns - Twickenham

Cardinals @ Rams - Twickenham

Wembley games are 24th September and 1st October and Twickenham games are 22nd and 19th October.

There's that many yanks in Britain who make it viable?

Why would a Brit give a fuck about a sport he's never played or never will?

Ok the once to see what the fuss is about I guess but I'm amazed they can sell seats for this.

Ok the once to see what the fuss is about I guess but I'm amazed they can sell seats for this.

Fabulous sport. If having played a sport was the only way to appreciate or follow one, there'd be a lot of poorly followed sports.

However, the London pish is just that. Finally went to one last year, Raiders v Dolphins wi ma loon. It was dreadful, instead of home v away, it's full of fans from every team, atmosphere was horrendous, not helped by a blow-out fins win. By early fourth quarter there was a low hum round the stadium, which was simply folk chatting. We left with ages still to go. Would never go back to a London game.

And dinna get me started on this London franchise pish, what a farce that will be. Fans come from all over the country to watch the wembley events. Will they do that for the "Cockney Wankers" team? I have my doubts, and then can London support a team by itself?

Fabulous sport. If having played a sport was the only way to appreciate or follow one, there'd be a lot of poorly followed sports.

However, the London pish is just that. Finally went to one last year, Raiders v Dolphins wi ma loon. It was dreadful, instead of home v away, it's full of fans from every team, atmosphere was horrendous, not helped by a blow-out fins win. By early fourth quarter there was a low hum round the stadium, which was simply folk chatting. We left with ages still to go. Would never go back to a London game.

And dinna get me started on this London franchise pish, what a farce that will be. Fans come from all over the country to watch the wembley events. Will they do that for the "Cockney Wankers" team? I have my doubts, and then can London support a team by itself?

It can't be that fabulous if you couldn't be arsed with it.

Trust me, "fans" who know the game are more valuable than those who don't.

Vast majority of the crowd are British and Germans. You do not need to have played a sport to enjoy it. Might give you a better understanding having played but only marginal.

I just don't get this thing about playing in neutral venues. Doesn't get much more than neutral than being on a different continent!

What do these teams fans make of it? If i were a season ticket holder and my team suddenly announced i wouldn't get to one of the games i'd paid for because they fancied 'promoting the sport' in another country i wouldn't be happy. Plus you're giving up the right of your home advantage.

Baffling stuff, but i guess it just highlights the fact that it's a franchise these guys temporarily support.

4 games now confirmed as

Saints @ Miami - Wembley

Ravens @ Jaguars - Wembley

Vikings @ Browns - Twickenham

Cardinals @ Rams - Twickenham

Wembley games are 24th September and 1st October and Twickenham games are 22nd and 19th October.

Shite dates, won't be able to make any of them  >:( Especially since it would have been nice to see the Saints.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...