• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen FC open talks with Inverness Caley’s Hayes

Craig Brown ‘positive’ about transfer

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 03/05/2012

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today claimed he’s confident of a “positive outcome” after finally opening talks with Inverness Caley Thistle winger Jonny Hayes.

Brown admitted he has held telephone conversations with Hayes and his agent as he bids to bring the 24-year-old to Aberdeen FC in the summer.

Brown is heartened that Hayes seems keen to come to Aberdeen and plans to meet the duo for face-to-face talks next week.

Clarkson's quite good though, is he not...?

The similarity comment was Broon's not mine Bobby

I agree with you, in that I always thought Clarkson was a half decent player.

Sure he moved south for around £800k.

Imagine us actually having a player nowadays that could command that level of fee in the transfer market.

Never mind David, Jeremy would probably be an improvement on most of them except Vernon ;)

Fallon?  Two really good volleys a striker they do not make. Not delighted by the thought of him being here next season but resigned to it. Its classic Duncan Ferguson syndrome when he plays, the ball is just hoofed up the park.

Maggenis?  I think its been established he isn't really a footballer let alone one with a specific position

Megginson?  Has potential, better technique and better feet than most of our squad........... unfortunately this is not much of feat.  Needs to stop falling over but worth keeping another season or two. 

Paton?  Always thought he had potential but he seems to have a bit of an attitude problem. Can't see him being kept.

not going to bother with chalali ect

It seems as though we are going to have quite a different team next season, a lot of players will be leaving and know it.  One of the reasons we have been so shit recently imo.

Danny Swanson is our top target, supposedly. Out of contract with the Jutes.

Seems promising.

Tough call for afc this summer.  The whole rangers thing is likely to result in a loss of cash one way or the other (by fans boycotting or by rangers being demoted) yet whatever happens with rangers it would seem unlikely they will be challenging at the top of the league and unlikely they will be allowed in Europe even if they are.

This means basically an extra European place will be up for grabs for the next few seasons than would otherwise be available.  We can't afford, and shouldn't break the bank, yet if we get the right players in there is no reason why we can't be competing for these european places.

No shit Sherlock

Brown’s fear over move for Hayes

By Paul Third

Published: 09/05/2012

Manager Craig Brown fears he may be priced out of a move for Caley Thistle’s Irish winger Jonny Hayes.

The 24-year-old former Leicester City player and his representative will meet the Dons manager this week to discuss a potential move to Pittodrie this summer but Hayes has already warned he will wait until after the season finishes on Saturday before making a decision.

For the full story, pick up a copy of today’s Press and Journal or read our digital edition now

If we had him, hayes and pawlett in our squad we might actually have the potential to stretch teams.  Always liked swanson.

We've been thinking this for years yet our team always manage to fluff it all up. I want to see real investment this summer and proper changes, now is the time with an especially weak vermin.

We've been thinking this for years yet our team always manage to fluff it all up. I want to see real investment this summer and proper changes, now is the time with an especially weak vermin.

As I said above, it's a tough call, the last thing we want to do is end up in admin ourselves having just passed tougher penalties for teams in admin.

With what money though?

Noted, but the way i see it is that the club are going to lose money regardless. It may be the only way to stem the tide of fans leaving the club. I agree with GS's point, we don't want to go into admin ourselves, but this penny pinching has done fuck all for us whilst other clubs have all made it to cup finals etc...It's time to do something for a change or else I genuinely think we may be lucky to stave off relegation next season.

Noted, but the way i see it is that the club are going to lose money regardless. It may be the only way to stem the tide of fans leaving the club. I agree with GS's point, we don't want to go into admin ourselves, but this penny pinching has done fuck all for us whilst other clubs have all made it to cup finals etc...It's time to do something for a change or else I genuinely think we may be lucky to stave off relegation next season.

I don't disagree with you but since when has our board given a fuck about being competitive and why would that change now?

I don't think it would take much for us to get into Europe, but whether that would allow us to balance the extra expenditure is a debatable point.

Just as rangers continue on the road to liquidation it seems bizarre to be suggesting we take a risk and hope for the best.

I can't imagine our accounts this year are anything better than atrocious and our debt will be creeping ever upwards.  Next season whatever happens we will be losing more money.

It's debatable what will be worse for our club accounts and to an extent I can see from a purely financial point of view the SPL chairmen have a difficult job:

without Rangers we will definitely lose cash from their fans and some tv and sponsorship money, that is certain.  Whether that is in anyway offset by bigger home supports is questionable.

With Rangers we keep TV money but will probably lose fans, given our record lows this year I'm not sure there are many more to lose. Yet any rangers side in the SPL is likely to be barred from Europe and be shit, which may boost our league position and potential of Euro spot which could bring the crowds back in.

This all means that whatever happens we will probably need to trim our budget further in the coming years.

Of course sporting integrity means that any NewCo shouldn't be anywhere near the SPL.

Anyway I digress, Hayes and Swanson are exactly the kind of players we should be going for but we shouldn't be breaking the wage structure to bring them in.