Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Crazy American Politics

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm. I would say the jury’s out on that programme.

Given that a jury is likely to be a cross section, you will be right. Every cross section contains the yesses, the no's and the not sures. On this programme, the yes camp are the more observant and open-minded, the no's are offended by reason they didn't understand and the not sures (like you) don't have the balls to have an opinion one way or the other.

It was a fucking genius production, once again from him.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44949504

Well there's a surprise.

A Georgia lawmaker ridiculed by dropping his trousers and using racial slurs on Sacha Baron Cohen's Who Is America? show has said he will resign.

Republican state representative Jason Spencer had initially refused to quit after the show aired on Sunday.

Baron Cohen's show dupes public figures with fake interviews.

Mr Spencer is coaxed into an "anti-terrorism training class", using the n-word to ward off a kidnapper and baring his buttocks to scare off terrorists.

"If you want to win, you show some skin," Baron Cohen, disguised as an anti-terrorism expert, had urged him.

Baron Cohen series airs on Channel 4

The office of the Speaker of Georgia's House of Representatives told the Washington Post that Mr Spencer had submitted his resignation, effective from 31 July.

The lawmaker had faced mounting calls to quit, with the Speaker, David Ralston, among them. He told CNN Mr Spencer's actions and language were "reprehensible", adding: "Georgia is better than this."

In the episode, Baron Cohen invents the "Israeli anti-terrorism expert" Col Erran Morad, and convinces Mr Spencer to:

Bare his buttocks and chase Baron Cohen shouting "USA!" Mr Spencer is told terrorists do not want to be touched by other men's buttocks because they are afraid of homosexuality

Shout the "n-word" loudly and repeatedly to attract attention and ward off a kidnapper. Baron Cohen then says: "Are you crazy? The 'n-word' is noonie! Not this word. This word is disgusting"

Impersonate a Chinese tourist while placing a selfie-stick under the garment of a burqa-clad person to take a picture to ensure the person is not a terrorist (Mr Spencer backed legislation in 2016 to ban Muslim women from wearing burqas in public)

Mr Spencer had initially refused to quit over what he called a "ridiculously ugly episode".

The four-term representative was defeated in the Republican primary for his seat in May, but had intended to serve his remaining five months in office.

He said in a statement Baron Cohen had taken "advantage of my paralysing fear that my family would be attacked".

"My fears were so heightened at that time, I was not thinking clearly nor could I appreciate what I was agreeing to when I participated in his 'class'," he said.

Mr Spencer apologised to "my family, friends, and the people of my district", adding: "I deeply regret the language I used at (Baron Cohen's) request."

The Baron Cohen series airs on Showtime in the US and Channel 4 in the UK.

Other duped "guests" include former Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin and former US vice-president Dick Cheney.

Mrs Palin pre-empted the airing saying on Facebook: "I join a long list of American public personalities who have fallen victim to the evil, exploitive, sick 'humour' of the British 'comedian' Sacha Baron Cohen, enabled and sponsored by CBS/Showtime."

Mr Cheney apparently agrees to autograph a "waterboard kit".

When public figures are resigning or being shown up for what and who they really are, they would rather point blame and seek to discredit the person who enabled them to show their true colours. Don't shoot the messenger. It's pure genius work by SBC. The ex-con getting the lassie to pluck her pubes was almost sickeningly stomach-churning. Trying to please others and "fit in" is a very common human trait but her complete vacuousness and inability to think properly and failing to discern the ludicrousness of the whole situation was as much tragic as it was comedic.

• 1 month later...

The saddest thing in the pathetically hilarious Kavanaugh testimony today was when he mentioned the prayers his ten year old daughter said, the pathos being rich on three counts.

Firstly, does his daughter praying for "the woman" make any difference to anything whatsoever? Does this show how well she's been brought up and therefore her virgin father couldn't possibly have tried to force himself on to a schoolgirl at high school once upon a time?

Secondly, how terrible for a 10 year old to have a father that archaic, not just in age and appearance but in mind.

Thirdly, what is wrong with these people, indoctrinating infants to pray to an imagined superbeing? Do the parents actually believe this shit themselves or is it just how they were brought up, like playing the dutiful American, belonging to the club?

Ford would have to be a helluva actress for it not to be true. The boy's a creep who was unable to control his teenage hormones and was anxiously impatient to get his snasms. In doing so, he didn't commit any crime that one could get locked up for but he did grope an unwilling girl and showed the same misogyny that riddles and infects every secular society.

Make America sick again. It's a cycle, one that repeats.

Well in the 3 minutes I heard in the car going home last night, all I heard was some whinging female pretending to be upset about something that happened 100 years ago.

15 years old, drinking beer with boys?

Just sounded like a typical adolescent night out.

I'm not saying he's not a creep, I haven't paid the slightest attention to any of it.

What I do think though is that they are desperate to criminalise heterosexual males.

Christ, if your embarrising teenage fumblings are going to come back to haunt you 40 years later if you ever reach a position in life that puts you in the public eye then we're all in trouble.

The biggest scandal is that it's news over here.

Why on earth would a "Gregory's Girl" type incident thousands of miles away and 40 years ago make the BBC think it was worth broadcasting?

The worst thing of all though is that in general we copy the Yanks ( good or bad) so expect some menopausal bitch who's been drugged up on anti depressants for 20 years to try to relive her youth and discover that that night she went to the pictures with Rocket Scientist and he tried to put his arm around her shoulders he was in fact abusing her and is to blame for everything that has ever went wrong in her life.

Expect a solicitors letter soon.

I suppose it's worth broadcasting because of the enormity of the position that Kavanaugh is going for. I have sympathy for your point of view though. The point is, though, that he's clearly lying. The problem is two fold as I see it, the first point that there is no "safe space" for him to come forward and admit to what happened and apologise. This has resulted in a guy lying to save his precious career and a woman forced into publicly taking to the stand to relive what seems to be a genuinely harrowing experience for her. It shouldn't need to be this way. We should have an alternative to this that doesn't take the me too movement too far in the other direction. This won't make it easier for woman to come forward and get some "closure" or whatever and it will serve to push these types of incident further below ground as men seek to hide their part in them - it's self defeating. We need a middle ground where people can admit to what they've done and both parties can feel that they won't have their entire future's ruined by something that happened in their teens. Something that might actually see an end to the pathetic "frat-boy", or Bullingdon in this country, culture and allow folks to articulate that it isn't acceptable anymore (and wasn't then). I advocate a rapey-truth-commission overseen by the corpse of Nelson Mandela. The second issue is the absolute power and faith that we (the US in this case, but us as well) put in a single individual. We don't them, we don't need to be led by people, we need to be led by morals and physical targets, so that if an invidual doesn't turn out to be a saint then we can just move onto the next one with the same targets in place. The world doesn't need Bret fucking Kavanuagh or his replacement.

Having no interest in the USA and it's f'ucked up inhabitants I admit to not having a clue to whatever is going on.

Does anyone think though that senior politicians would be better at their job if they had no experience of anything?

Women?

A mystery to me then, a mystery to me now.

Not for one brief moment do I condone males forcing their attentions, especially if they use their position in an organisation to get their way.

Women play their own game though and usually it's far more underhand than any Man's.

that night she went to the pictures with Rocket Scientist and he tried to put his arm around her shoulders he was in fact abusing her and is to blame for everything that has ever went wrong in her life.

Expect a solicitors letter soon.

I was three fingers deep up the cow before she decided she never wanted any more.

That's ok, I just watched the film and had a wank later. I made sure to eat the popcorn with my left hand though. My market research had already informed me she wasn't a keeper.