Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dirty filthy tim unwashed mink news

Kowalski

I don't like Celtic being considered 'friends'. May be narrow minded but the Old Firm are, imo, the reason domestic Scottish football has been fairly miserable for the last decade and a half. I think silence on the issue would have been far better.

I'm not sure how our league rivals getting €30 Million extra for qualifying to the last 16 of the Champions League is good for us anyway. Surely one team, which already have considerably more money than the rest of the SPL, getting that much more is a bad thing.

I don't like Celtic being considered 'friends'. May be narrow minded but the Old Firm are, imo, the reason domestic Scottish football has been fairly miserable for the last decade and a half. I think silence on the issue would have been far better.

I'm not sure how our league rivals getting €30 Million extra for qualifying to the last 16 of the Champions League is good for us anyway. Surely one team, which already have considerably more money than the rest of the SPL, getting that much more is a bad thing.

this +1

It's not great that they will get money but the co-efficient will not get much worse and the chances of our qualification for Europe has improved. Didn't the league get a cash injection for them qualifying for the group stage as well?

My stance has always been that it is a win win situation.

If they win and qualify it is good for Scottish football's co-efficient.

If they lose or don't qualify it is fucking hilarious.

It is a good thing if they spend a chunk of that money in Scotland.  As in they pay going rate on transfer fees for Scottish players rather than going abroad.  With a healthy dose of cynicism, I seriously doubt that they will spend any of it in Scotland.  Scott Brown from Hibs apart, they have an illustrious history of shafting Scottish clubs in the transfer market.

It's good from the point of view that Charlie Mulgrew, Kris Commons and Scott Brown get exposure of playing at the highest level of club football and acquire the appropriate experience to apply to their times with the national team.

But Celtic have no interest in Scotland, no interest in positively contributing to the Scottish football economy, on interest in improving Scottish players nor providing players for the Scottish national team.  Only one of their last seven permanent managers has been Scottish and they don't actually want to play their football in Scotland.  They are actually less Scottish than what Rangers are.

Celtic's windfall makes afc over £200,000 doesn't it?

Heard this quoted but folk elsewhere saying it is nearer £80k

Whatever it is small change compared to the £16M or whatever they will get.

Off topic but is anyone else fed up with the way Scott Brown sits down like some petulant 2yr old whenever his hip is playing up and he needs to leave the field.  Just fucking walk off the park and get subbed like everyone else you utter shit

Uefa paid spl 1.5m for celtic reaching group, another 1.5 for qualifying. Split 12 ways that's 250k for every team.

Obviously i was still hoping to see them humped, but that's cash we hadn't budgeted for.

If that is the case then it's no wonder the club would call them friends. Most people involved in football clubs are friends with each other off the field.

I think we really need to move away from this "The big bad Old Firm have ruined it for us".  Aberdeen have fucked things for Aberdeen. Don't kid yourself it's anything other than that. We have been part of the set up that has allowed the OF to prosper (although I believe one isn't doing quite as well these days) and chronic mis-management throughout our club has resulted in horrendous performance on and off the pitch. That isn't their fault, that's our fault.  Claiming otherwise makes us look like spoiled brats.

A message of congratulations really isn't worth getting upset over.  As unpopular as this will be, Celtic have qualified from a group containing Barcelona, a very good Benfica side and a decent enough Spartak side, why don't they deserve the money that comes their way as a result?  If it was us in that situation, we'd want and expect all that for ourselves because that's the way the ridiculous set up works, just because it doesn't suit us doesn't mean it isn't right.

I think we really need to move away from this "The big bad Old Firm have ruined it for us".  Aberdeen have fucked things for Aberdeen. Don't kid yourself it's anything other than that. We have been part of the set up that has allowed the OF to prosper (although I believe one isn't doing quite as well these days) and chronic mis-management throughout our club has resulted in horrendous performance on and off the pitch. That isn't their fault, that's our fault.  Claiming otherwise makes us look like spoiled brats.

All true but the wider point is surely that the SPL (admittedly with our connivance) and UEFA have created an situation where the rich get massively richer and leave the rest of us pleased for the scraps they deign to the throw us.  In Scotland there is no doubt the growth of the old firm in terms of income, attendances and wider support over the last twenty years has had a massively negative effect on the game as a whole in terms of competition, excitement and wider interest as the cash has been pooled in the accounts of Celtic FC and Rangers FC (deceased). Yes they have always been disproportionately large compared to everyone else and dominated as a result but never to the extent they are now.  You can see it in every league in Europe.  How the hell can any of us dream to compete with a team that gets £16M thrown at it from UEFA?  Is there really any point in throwing us a relative pittance?

All true but the wider point is surely that the SPL (admittedly with our connivance) and UEFA have created an situation where the rich get massively richer and leave the rest of us pleased for the scraps they deign to the throw us.  In Scotland there is no doubt the growth of the old firm in terms of income, attendances and wider support over the last twenty years has had a massively negative effect on the game as a whole in terms of competition, excitement and wider interest as the cash has been pooled in the accounts of Celtic FC and Rangers FC (deceased). Yes they have always been disproportionately large compared to everyone else and dominated as a result but never to the extent they are now.  You can see it in every league in Europe.  How the hell can any of us dream to compete with a team that gets £16M thrown at it from UEFA?  Is there really any point in throwing us a relative pittance?

As I said, it’s ridiculous, but as you admit it was at our connivance this occurred. Maybe if we weren’t so chronically mis-managed at the time we were still challenging, we could have got some of this money for ourselves. As much as we all hate Celtic, they’re not cheating here and don’t kid yourself that we’d be so morally upstanding that if we were in an identical situation that we’d spread the money out evenly to all clubs in Scotland. We wouldn’t and I wouldn’t want us to either.

TF – I still really don’t think it’s anything to get upset over.

As I said, it’s ridiculous, but as you admit it was at our connivance this occurred. Maybe if we weren’t so chronically mis-managed at the time we were still challenging, we could have got some of this money for ourselves. As much as we all hate Celtic, they’re not cheating here and don’t kid yourself that we’d be so morally upstanding that if we were in an identical situation that we’d spread the money out evenly to all clubs in Scotland. We wouldn’t and I wouldn’t want us to either.

TF – I still really don’t think it’s anything to get upset over.

Of course we wouldn't and of course they shouldn't.

The issue is with UEFA, the SFA and SPL

Aberdeen FC boss in praise of ‘remarkable’ Celtic

Brown hails Lenny’s Bhoys after making last 16

Published: 06/12/2012

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today praised Celtic for restoring pride to Scottish football.

Brown was at Celtic Park to see the Hoops beat Spartak Moscow 2-1 and book their place in the last 16 of the Champions League.

The Aberdeen FC boss said: “What Celtic have achieved in the Champions League is a massive boost to the whole of the Scottish game. It really is quite remarkable.”

After the farce of the huns, i think it will at least restore some respect to the scottish game (elsewhere).  Whilst I hate the tims, I still congratulated those who congratulated us with our Euro run.  Don't get me wrong, I wanted them to get absolutely shafted, but fair play to them, they qualified on merit. Hopefully they get pumped in the next round though  :thumbsup:

I do BB, bursts my arse that we continually get assumed to be Celtic sympathisers, especially by Tims!!

Friends? Really? No and this helps fuck all. Don't remember any congratulatory outpourings when the huns got to a Uefa final, and rightly so.

As for the wider funding issues, the whole thing is weighted against smaller nations, never mind smaller teams. If we were good enough consistently enough we'd get some of it. We're not and neither are they.

I do BB, bursts my arse that we continually get assumed to be Celtic sympathisers, especially by Tims!!

Friends? Really? No and this helps fuck all. Don't remember any congratulatory outpourings when the huns got to a Uefa final, and rightly so.

We’ve got much bigger and more important issues to get upset over than what’s said on Twitter.