Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Managers in Scotland

Going there will net him a hefty pay rise but realistically will it ever improve his stock and get him an even better job in future? Right now they are sitting in one of the relegation positions in the Championship with Hull, Birmingham and Bolton sitting right above them, all of whom possess far greater resources. If he kept them up this season he would be hailed in a similar way Alex Neil was when he got Norwich promoted in his first 6 months.

However if he did keep them up he still faces the prospect of managing a club which in financial terms is probably still going to be in the bottom 3 comparatively against his rivals, regardless of who comes up from League 1. I doubt anyone would ever expect Barnsley to ever be serious challengers for promotion to the Premier League but their board and support would probably want to see a manager keep them comfortably mid table to be regarded as a success. But on a budget far less than 90% or more than their rivals.

And if, as is a more likely scenario, they drop down to League 1 at the end of this season, the only scenario their board will tolerate is instant promotion back up. If they weren't in the top 6 of League 1 at this point next season ( and within 9-10 points of the top team) it's highly likely he would be facing the bullet and returning back north of the border with his reputation tarnished.

I hope he thinks very carefully before jumping ship.

Could do worse than pick up the phone and have a chat with McInnes in my opinion.

Definte parallels between this and the situation McInnes walked into @ Bristol City.

Personally feel, Ross is building up his stock at Helen and would be wise to stick with what he has at present.

However if he did keep them up he still faces the prospect of managing a club which in financial terms is probably still going to be in the bottom 3 comparatively against his rivals, regardless of who comes up from League 1. I doubt anyone would ever expect Barnsley to ever be serious challengers for promotion to the Premier League but their board and support would probably want to see a manager keep them comfortably mid table to be regarded as a success. But on a budget far less than 90% or more than their rivals.

May not be the case any more, they were recently bought over by the same consortium that owns Nice, headed by a Chinese billionaire and Billy Beane (Brad Pitt played him in Moneyball).

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42426661

• 2 weeks later...

Surprising! When you consider his team is full of great, amazing players, who put in fantastic and mesmerising performances...  ::)

Went to see them end of December up in Dingwall against St Johnstone. Eagles was a complete fanny and waste of a jersey, soon as he was swapped for their own youth player Keillor-Dunn they looked a different team. The lad they have on loan from the tims was decent too, Lindsay. Davies looks fucked although he did go off at half time, so may just have been playing with an injury.

However it was poor tactics and player selection that meant they only drew that game he needed to change it in the first half but didn't and I think only Davies injury forced the change at half time.

A decent appointment will see them safe this season as likes of Fontaine should shore up the defence and there is the ability in the final third, if utilized correctly. Difficulty will be replacing the likes of Gardyne, Davies etc in next few years so I think they will eventually end up back in the first.

He quoted being away from his family down south as being the main reason......very handy excuse when your team is adrift at the foot of the league.

I think Dundee have enough quality to get themselves away from any danger of relegation so it will be between Coonty, Partick and Hamilton as to who falls through the trapdoor at season's end. Really hope it is Hamilton who go, shitey ground, even shitier pitch and shitier still fans. However they do seem to have the knack of grinding out results against their close rivals so not holding my breath.

He quoted being away from his family down south as being the main reason......very handy excuse when your team is adrift at the foot of the league.

I think Dundee have enough quality to get themselves away from any danger of relegation so it will be between Coonty, Partick and Hamilton as to who falls through the trapdoor at season's end. Really hope it is Hamilton who go, shitey ground, even shitier pitch and shitier still fans. However they do seem to have the knack of grinding out results against their close rivals so not holding my breath.

It always amazes me when you see them really shyte one week they manage to pull a result off like they did last weekend. I don't really like them as a club, but when you see the budget they have at their disposal they do pretty well. I also think Dundee and Partick have enough quality about them to stay up, but they are starting to run out of games. Should be a very tight run in at that end of the table. Brings back happy memories...Not!

• 2 months later...

I see Jack Ross is being linked with Ipswich, if that’s the case, then that’s another manager who , barring a catastrophe on his part, will be out of our reach.

Or he follows the McInnes or Lennon route, does well here, fails in England, and back north in a year or two.

Or he follows the McInnes or Lennon route, does well here, fails in England, and back north in a year or two.

That’s what I was alluding to under catastrophe. Guess we’ll see. Just limits the immediate potential managerial gene pool in Scotland.

I see Jack Ross is being linked with Ipswich, if that’s the case, then that’s another manager who , barring a catastrophe on his part, will be out of our reach.

Ipswich are a club with serious financial issues. They also, in Marcus Evans, have a chairman who their fans hate with a passion, so don't think it would be a good career move for Jack Ross.

Ipswich are a club with serious financial issues. They also, in Marcus Evans, have a chairman who their fans hate with a passion, so don't think it would be a good career move for Jack Ross.

Knew there were issues but had put that down to mick McCarthy. Wasn’t aware of any of the other stuff. Sounds like Bristol city all over ( when dm was down there, not now)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...