Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Paton on Loan - FC Wacker Innsbruck

Aberdeen FC star set for Dundee transfer

Paton poised to join side on loan

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 30/08/2010

ABERDEEN FC striker Michael Paton is poised to join Dundee on loan within the next 24 hours.

Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee today confirmed he is attempting to sort out a loan deal for Paton with the Dark Blues in an effort to create space on his wage bill to make new signings before the transfer window closes.

McGhee said: “There is a possibility Michael could go to Dundee.”

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magennis was awful in pre-season but has impressed me in the proper games.

Vernon has been shocking in pre-season and proper games.

Magennis has been pretty much a non-entity so far. He looks like a big bully boy up-front but he apparently has no footballing ability whatsoever. Time will tell obviously but so far the signs aren't good.

Magennis has been pretty much a non-entity so far. He looks like a big bully boy up-front but he apparently has no footballing ability whatsoever. Time will tell obviously but so far the signs aren't good.

What games are these views based on? He was excellent against hamilton and played very well against st johnstone.

If McGhee is carrying on with the 3 upfront, Paton's a better option in one of the wide positions than Mackie or Maguire.

Having a full season as a regular starter might be the making of him though rather than a bit part player here.

Having a full season as a regular starter might be the making of him though rather than a bit part player here.

This is true, however Maguire went for a loan spell, had a run playing upfront and scored some goals, which led to him coming back and being put out wide again.

I have little faith in this being a good move for Paton.

???

What games are these views based on? He was excellent against hamilton and played very well against st johnstone.

I didn't see the Hamilton game but he was just a big bully boy against St. Johnstone. He looked about as skillfull as a brick. Same against Alloa, he was rotten. As was Vernon. Again against Killie he offered absolutely nothing. He was one of the least threatening centre forwards I've seen for a while.

Deal has collapsed according to the P&J.

McGhee’s warning to Paton as Dens loan move collapses

By Alex Martin

Published: 31/08/2010

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee has warned young forward Michael Paton he needs to go out on loan or risk making a mess of his career.

The 21-year-old Greenock-born attacker was poised for a temporary move to First Division Dundee, but the deal collapsed last night.

The transfer window closes at midnight and McGhee needs funds to allow him to strengthen, with former Charlton Athletic defender Grant Basey and Aston Villa attacker Jim Collins still on his wanted list.

McGhee said: “Michael needs to go on loan for the development of his career. Otherwise he is danger of stalling.

“Dundee would have been a good fit for him. It is close to Aberdeen and we would have been able to keep a close eye on him. We would have him watched in every game. I think it is a team with a good chance in Division 1 this year. They would have been competitive matches and good for him.”

McGhee believes Paton should look to the example of fellow forward Chris Maguire, who was sent to SPL rivals Kilmarnock last season and returned a better player.

He added: “Michael would benefit from being able to play regular matches, as Chris did last season when we sent him to Killie. That brought a lot of truths home to Chris and he has come back a better player.

“I think it could be the same with Michael. The moves in for new players hinge on him. We are looking around and will be on Tuesday and we will be prepared to work right up to the deadline if necessary.”

McGhee hopes the international break will give the club’s medical staff time to bring his much-needed flair players back to the first team.

Still fuming about the injury-time loss to Kilmarnock on Saturday which ended a three-game winning start to the season, McGhee said: “Sone Aluko has had his Achilles problem but he will come back to training next Monday and we will pick it up there.

“Peter Pawlett has a sore toe which he hurt in training on Friday. He had an injection, but the toe has swollen up.

“And Yoann Folly has a sore knee which the physios feel is a result of playing on the artificial surface at Alloa last week.

“But we have an opportunity to get all these players fit.”

McGhee is about to become a grandfather for the first time.

The manager’s son, Ben, and Ben’s partner Robyn are about to celebrate the birth of their first child, a girl, at home in Surrey this week.

McGhee added: “Michael would benefit from being able to play regular matches' date=' as Chris did last season when we sent him to Killie. That brought a lot of truths home to Chris and [b']he has come back a better player.[/b]

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

He has?

It's a good job we got McGhee in otherwise we would still be under-performing in the league, not winning cups, spunking money away on signing English lower league crocks, not giving our youth system a chance and singling out young players for public criticism.

::) ::)::)

12pm today, has passed already and as far as I am aware has never been at night. It's a minor mistake but I'm bored on waiting for interesting transfer news.

I'll give you that, thought your point was going to be that you thought the Scottish deadline was same as Engerlund i.e 6pm ;)