Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Films

manc_don

I've seen Mary, Queen of Scots, Vice & The Favourite in the last week, all very good, Vice is cracking & The Favourite very funny if you like that dark humour.

I love Oscar season  :thumbsup:

Interesting. I saw that too and very much enjoyed it. I happened to come across some reviews and found them to be almost entirely negative because of the historical inaccuracies. Here was me thinking it was a movie, nae a documentary. ???

Watched A Star is Born on Friday. Lady Gaga is a phenomenon, probably the best female singer of all time. As a film though, it didn't deserve to win best picture but it was a very enjoyable watch.

Strong statement. I rate her very highly too (despite liking next to none of her songs). Her talent is clear and I can't think of anyone who's clearly above her.

I didn't think A Star Is Born won any of the major Oscars? Are were you stating that in agreement?

Strong statement. I rate her very highly too (despite liking next to none of her songs). Her talent is clear and I can't think of anyone who's clearly above her.

I didn't think A Star Is Born won any of the major Oscars? Are were you stating that in agreement?

I don't understand the question.

If you can't think of anyone to challenge her as the best - most talented - female singer, it might actually be true albeit that taste and personal preferences rather than data and facts obfuscate any possible ranking or rating criteria.

Having said that, I also struggle to like many of her songs. There are very few I would want to hear more than a couple of times but having seen her live (at the Hydro) and particularly the YouTube of her doing Imagine to open the Baku games, the woman is possessed of the highest spiritual talent and power. When I wrote that accolade, Nina Simone was the other I was thinking of as a potential competitor and whilst Aretha is going to be the most popular choice, Gaga's range and consistently staggering delivery wins it for me.

Apologies. The fact that I typed it like a mong won't have helped. I meant: Or* were you stating that in agreement [with the decision to award Best Picture to another film]?

I was struggling to remember where/how I discovered the Baku performance. Could it have been posted on this forum by yourself? I think that was the performance that made me sit up and take notice. I'd like to see her live but her ostentatious showmanship would be a bit much for my personal taste. I do admire her creativity and I'm not saying it wouldn't be a hell of a show. Just unsure how much I would get out of it.

Boy Erased is very good, another true story and worth a watch.

Finally got round to seeing Green Book, easy watching but for me not really a best picture winner!

Aragon has left himself go  :P

I enjoyed it also, but haven't seen the competition it was up against, so can't comment on Oscars. Viggo Mortensen is a joy to watch though, if you haven't seen The Indian Runner, I highly recommend it, he's absolutely brilliant in that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched Captain Marvel last night.  Enjoyable film.  I think my one criticism was that they should have had someone other than an attractive blonde white american playing the role.  I get that's what the character was based on, but how about moving with the times?

Watched Captain Marvel last night.  Enjoyable film.  I think my one criticism was that they should have had someone other than an attractive blonde white american playing the role.  I get that's what the character was based on, but how about moving with the times?

Are the Aryan race and people with blond hair to be marginalised now, like the heterosexual white man has been? Is that what "moving with the times" means?

Would you prefer they skipped to the later incarnations where Captain Marvel is a bloke?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched Tarantino's " The Hateful Eight " last night, very mixed on it, was his usual twist and storytelling, but lacked something that I can't quite put my finger on. Wouldn't watch it again and can't honestly say that I would recommend it. 5/10

I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I'm not a fan of long films! Tarantino's ability to grip you was dialogue (as opposed to non stop action) is prevalent here. And the sound track was superb.

Watched Tarantino's " The Hateful Eight " last night, very mixed on it, was his usual twist and storytelling, but lacked something that I can't quite put my finger on. Wouldn't watch it again and can't honestly say that I would recommend it. 5/10

I won't be re-watching it either. His poorest film by some distance.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I'm not a fan of long films! Tarantino's ability to grip you was dialogue (as opposed to non stop action) is prevalent here. And the sound track was superb.

The scene where Tim Roth and Walton Goggins are perplexed at the thought of Samuel L Jackson's character having a letter from Lincoln was absolutely brilliant, as was Jennifer Jason Leigh in general, but it never captured my imagination nor kept me hooked, as I felt it lacked something. I am a fan of his stuff, my favourite film ever is True Romance, which he wrote, but Tony Scott directed. Agree with the Soundtrack, thoroughly enjoyed that also.