Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Films

manc_don

Saw The Post tonight, starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep.

There wasn't any violence, not one sex scene, no blood, no high speed car chases and no "action" so it wouldn't appeal to the majority.

Instead it dealt with a real story from history and themes like personal bravery, the role of women, freedom of the press, integrity, truth and justice, you know, boring shit like that.

It gets 10/10 from me in terms of subject matter and 7.5 or 8/10 as a film. Good movie.

Not exactly current and certain it has been commeted upon in the past, but watched I, Daniel Blake last night on Chromecast. Fucking hell is all I can say, that film made a major impression upon me. Best summed up as fairly brutal. By that I don't mean that it was a good film (actually was very good) but by fuck it is a grim story line and one that certainly moved me.

Not exactly current and certain it has been commeted upon in the past, but watched I, Daniel Blake last night on Chromecast. Fucking hell is all I can say, that film made a major impression upon me. Best summed up as fairly brutal. By that I don't mean that it was a good film (actually was very good) but by fuck it is a grim story line and one that certainly moved me.

It's one of those must-watch films. Me and the wife went when it came out. It was indeed an excellent film, as we might expect from Loach.

A truly great film which was more deserving of Oscar nomination than either Dunkirk or Darkest Hour

Dunkirk - Tries to hard to work for me overall, but not without its merits.  I would say the the 1950s version of Dunkirk is a better film on the subject.

Darkest Hour - Wasn't overly impressed with this and fail to see what the hyperbole was all about. Oldman was decent enough and I rate him as an actor, but I thought The Gathering Storm, with Albert Finney, was a better story of Churchill. 

Saw Three Billboards last night. Enjoyable. 7 out of 10.

Watched that last night. I would give it an 8/10.

Really enjoyed it, thought the characters were really strong, but there was just something about the ending that didn't quite work for either myself or the missus and we felt it let the rest of the film down a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched two films on the weekend, one of which was very much for the mrs...I'll let you guess which ;)

1) Pitch Perfect 3...not my film at all but a few funny moments

2) Three Billboards...Excellent film, dark humour and actually quite sad. Enjoyable nonetheless.  I imagine it'll pick up a few awards tonight.

Talking of sad in Amerikuh, did you know that like the mooslims, they marry children in the USA?

There are thousands of marriage licences granted to what we would consider non-age persons and not just Alaska but South Carolina and Missouri et al. The youngest was a 10 year old boy (marrying a 27 year old woman) but the vast majority are 13 year old girls marrying an average age of a 24 year old "man". What kind of society allows 12 and 13 year old girls to be fucked, literally as well as life-wise?

I knew Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin or something but I hardly imagined it would be legal. Fucking weirdos.