Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen - Hertz 17/10/09

Hopefully the guys that have been involved on International duty this week will come back refreshed and inspired a kick our team onto a good performance against these guys. We need to build on our relative stability but it is important we start to find the back of the net.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen rising star is Hearts sick

paton could miss visit of the jambos as he is hit by illness, but wright may be set to return soon

By Michael Gannon

Published: 15/10/2009

Michael Paton

More Pictures

Aberdeen attacker Michael Paton is a doubt for Saturday’s SPL visit of Hearts as the youngster is struggling to recover from illness.

The 20-year-old forward, who has made an impressive breakthrough to the first team under Mark McGhee this season, has been unable to train this week after succumbing to a heavy cold.

He has been forced to stay away from the rest of the squad to recover.

He will miss training again today and may not be fit for Saturday’s match at Pittodrie.

The youngster has firmly established himself in McGhee’s plans this season and has started the last two matches since firing a double in the 3-2 League Cup defeat at Dundee last month.

Paton, who netted his first senior goal for the Dons against Rangers at Ibrox last season, was looking to cement his place in the side.

He said: “I just need to trust the doctors and do exactly what they say. So far I have been given medicine and told to stay in my bed.

“A few of the under-19 players have picked it up as well. It is really frustrating because I played in the last few games and I wanted to keep that going.

“Before the international break I felt I was playing quite well. I managed to score and I felt I was getting better with each game.

“There is a lot of competition for places and if you drop out of the side it is hard to get back in.

“It would be a bad game to miss. Games against Hearts always have a good atmosphere and there is not much between the sides.â€

While Paton is struggling with illness, there could be a return in sight for fellow forward Tommy Wright.

The £100,000 signing from Darlington made his latest return from injury on Monday and has trained all week. The 24-year-old has endured a miserable run of fortune since joining last summer following a delay to have knee surgery.

He was restricted to just four starts last season due to a succession of injuries.

The former England youth international was struck down again in pre-season when his knee flared up again and he has yet to play for McGhee.

His long-standing problems mean he will not be rushed back to the starting XI, but he may have an outside chance of a place on the bench against the Jambos on Saturday.

Defender Zander Diamond’s ankle surgery has been declared a success and the centre back remains on target to return around before the end of the year.

The 24-year-old had a medical strut inserted into his left foot to support the ligaments between the two bones in his leg.

I hope he's fit for Saturday!

Defender Jerel Ifil will miss Hearts' visit in the Scottish Premier League with a hamstring injury.

Sone Aluko returns after playing for Nigeria in the Under-20 World Cup, but Zander Diamond, Davide Grassi and Tommy Wright are also missing.

Eggert Jonsson returns for Hearts after his hernia operation.

Gary Glen is also fit again, but fellow forwards Callum Elliot and David Templeton miss out along with defender Marius Zaliukas.

Hearts midfielder Eggert Jonsson:

"We need to pick ourselves up and make sure we get all three points.

"Obviously, it's going to be a big game. Aberdeen are always a tough team, especially away.

"We need to make sure we're up for it."

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee:

"I expected Hearts to be one of the pacemakers, and certainly in the top six.

"I think eventually they will re-establish themselves in the top six, and we've got to guard against their surge starting tomorrow.

"But I still think it's about ourselves - if we can gel and score goals, and still be as difficult to beat. I think it's in us."

Aberdeen (from): Langfield, Crawford, Maguire, Considine, Mulgrew, Foster, Kerr, McDonald, Miller, Aluko, Mackie, Paton, Nelson, Young, Pawlett, Fyvie, Hansson, Duff.

Hearts (from): Balogh, Jonsson, Kucharski, Bouzid, Goncalves, Santana, Palazuelos, Obua, Witteveen, Black, Nade, Kello, Wallace, M Stewart, Driver, C Thomson, J Thomson, Mole, Novikovas, J Stewart, Glen.

1  Rangers  8  9  18

2 Celtic 8 8 17

3 Hibernian 8 6 16

4 Dundee Utd 8 3 13

5 Motherwell 8 2 13

6 Aberdeen 8 2 11

7 St Mirren 8 0 11

8 Hearts 8 -3 8

9 Kilmarnock 8 -2 6

10 St Johnstone 8 -6 6

11 Hamilton 8 -10 5

12 Falkirk 8 -9 3

Middle of the table is tight as fuck. Will be a bit of a battle for top 4/6 this season, esp as presumably hibs will implode after christmas and hearts will pick things up.

Shame we seem to be going for a record number of draws in an SPL season otherwise we surely would be pretty confident.

Interesting that the radio suggested that our only real driving force and invention came from the youngsters and that we we much poorer after Paton and Pawlett went off.  Time for the "senior pros" to get the finger out

I thought we played well today, particularly in the second half.  After he scored, Lee Miller was a much better player.

Duff got MOTM - was that a piss take, as I thought he may have been at fault for their goal.

Fyvie, Paton and Pawlett were all excellent, and very encouraging to see.

All in all, a disappointing result given our dominance but it was a decent game for a change.

2 points dropped today, not a point won.

We should have won really, we were playing some nice attacking football.

Really should have got a second goal in the second half, we were all over them from the kick-off, but despite a few oh so unlucky chances we just couldn't get in the back of the net. And naturally as I turned to my mate and said "If we don't score now, they'll score and the game will be over" they scored and the game was over.

Agreed that we were much poorer when Powlett & Paton came off.

Miller was the best i've seen him since......fuck knows, he was brilliant.

Aluko was really threatening when he came on too.

Maguire was mince.

Duff was shite - he fucked up so badly at their goal I could have hit him in the face, but in his defence he looked gutted at full time, which was nice to see.

Hearts fans were at their scumiest best, quite a few chorusus of "hello, Hello" and I had a special hatred reserved for one Hearts fan who chose to wear a Dutch top(?) who decided to square up to a policewomen before sticking the head in at her- fucking moron.

BBC giving Hearts a 68% possession rating...is that for real ? I didn't listen to the game today but sounds a bit of a ropey figure if you guys reckon we were the better side and should have won.

Don't think thats right, and even if it is, they created fuck all the whole game

I thought Duff deserved his MOTM today, played well and was soo unlucky for their goal, Aluko started brightly then went predictable and frustrated the fuck out of me by him trying to do it on his own.

Agreed...Fyvie was carrying Kerr And McDonald through the game

I think its incredibly positive that the youngsters seem to be ascerting themselves and dare I say it, cementing their importance in the first XI. McGhee's post match interview was good as well. Basically telling the reporter he was chatting shite :D

Hopefully Ifil will be back next week and fingers crossed the team can carry some confidence into the next game against the Arabs!