Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

::)  how would that work, then?

Serious question?

You would have to give me odds depending on what you felt were the chances that the person who first coined the phrase Todders likes hiding the sausage with other men, then I would decide how much heaps would be and place that bet with you.

Warm welcome for Dons £38 million stadium plan

Residents say plan will boost Loirston area

By Charlotte Jordan

Published: 23/05/2009

RESIDENTS and business people living near the proposed site for the Dons’ £38 million stadium today welcomed the proposed move.

Matthew Owen, a manager at The Gordon Hotel, in Altens, said he thought the Loirston Loch stadium would bring more business before matches.

He said: “It will be a good thing because fans will have to have food and drinks. It may increase hotel business at weekends if there was a match on.â€

The Arena Community Stadium – where the Dons would play – will also host Cove Rangers and four training pitches.

Grandad Ian Cooper, a retired oil worker, of Cove said: “It’s a great idea for the youngsters. My grandson Iain plays for Cove Juniors so he will be over the moon.â€

Conway Crayford, 46, owner of Crayford's Luxury Guest House, said the news that the new centre has been given the council’s blessing was “excellentâ€.

Mr Crayford, said: “I’m all for it. I think it’s good for the area. It will be good for business and it will create a lot of jobs on this side of the River Dee.â€

Dons fan Kevin Urqhart, 29, of Cove, said: “I have been a fan my whole life. It should be really good.â€

Stephen Gregory, 47, of Cove, said: “I think it’s a great idea.

“It will bring something else to the area – every little helps.â€

Cove resident Irene Docherty, a day centre officer, said: “It’s the best place for it. It will cope well with the traffic.â€

Cove cleaner Anne McKenzie said: “I think it will be good because it will keep the fans away from the city centre.â€

Cove cleaner Anne McKenzie said: “I think it will be good because it will keep the fans away from the city centre.â€

Now thats a job you dont just fall into.

I wonder if she will be so chipper when the hooded hordes of Govan and Parkhead are pissing in her back garden?

• 5 months later...
Aberdeen FC to move to Loirston in 2013

Time is up for Pittodrie stadium

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 19/11/2009

ABERDEEN FC aim to move into a new stadium at Loirston Loch by 2013.

Managing director Duncan Fraser today confirmed efforts to build their “field of dreams†to the south of the city are gathering momentum.

The news finally spells the end for Pittodrie, where Aberdeen FC have been housed since 1899.

The Evening Express can confirm saving Aberdeen’s ancestral home, which would involve knocking down the stadium and rebuilding it with a reduced capacity of 12,000, is no longer an option.

For more on this story and coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

Makes nae sense when they say rebuilding would take away half the capacity- would it not make sense to do one stand at a time of they were to do that...but i cant be done with it being out in Cove its just too much hassle to get out there

There's not enough space, some new FIFA/UEFA rule gives a minimum distance between the pitch and the stand, and naturally we let all the land around our ground get sold and built on so we could never re-build the pit.

Modern football = large arenas in accessible, spacious, suburban zones.

Get past your small minded, myopic and parochial attitudes about rolling out of the pub and crawling down Merkland Road to the 'fitba'. Its a modern game with modern demands. Like it or not (and for the record I do not) this is going to be the future for Aberdeens stadium.

Some tale being strung along here about 12,000 capacity. If the RDS holds,  6k what kind of spacious seating were they envisaging to only fit another 6k seats around the rest of the ground?

Moving out of town is not a good idea.

6k RDS yes

But i cannot see how they could re-build a 9000 seat south stand, 3000 seat Merkland or main with the new flats, the existing graveyard and an increase in the pitch size. 

Try to make any of these 2 tiered and the residents will be up in arms plus they will all probably have to be like this.

southend01.jpg

Modern football = large arenas in accessible, spacious, suburban zones.

Get past your small minded, myopic and parochial attitudes about rolling out of the pub and crawling down Merkland Road to the 'fitba'. Its a modern game with modern demands. Like it or not (and for the record I do not) this is going to be the future for Aberdeens stadium.

Well said!!

PS - Cove is NOT full of Weegies!

STAND FREE!!

I don't buy it that it's for the "greater good of the club". That's AFC plc board propaganda and spin.

And the new stadium isn't even in Cove - it's in a field near a flyover.

<...awaits fatshaft to stroll in on a one man mission proclaiming how great the new stadium will be  ;) >

MarkyMark made him run away crying, so doubt he'll be posting (Probably too busy triple padlocking his wallet anyway). Dave will be along in while to tell us how it'll be easy to get there once he's built a monorail to Nig ;) , if that's any consolation.

I don't buy it that it's for the "greater good of the club". That's AFC plc board propaganda and spin.

And the new stadium isn't even in Cove - it's in a field near a flyover.

<...awaits fatshaft to stroll in on a one man mission proclaiming how great the new stadium will be  ;) >

Should we make it for the greater good of the lazy cunts whose main focus is to drink themselves bent and head to Pittodrie if they can be arsed and celebrate when they can't even muster up the energy or botheration to even do that ?