Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

16 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

Would seem to be a shrewd business move to incorporate the facilities of transition into the masterplan but its the sort of thing that gets punted as soon as the QS comes back with the initial costs.

Just ditch the QS and save even more costs. Just take the steens, windaes, seats etc fae pittodrie and use them until we run oot. We'll be in lockdown until 2028 anyway, so nae cunt will be needing pittodrie or the climby place.

• 3 months later...

EE saying there have been further positive talks between council and club regarding beach front site. Looks like any development would include a new extreme sports centre and a new leisure centre at the same time. No comment from the club to say anything other than positive talks were held. 

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/further-positive-talks-held-on-beachfront-stadium-plans-for-aberdeen-fc/

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

I saw there was also a market proposal for Aberdeen, be nice for the city to finally join the latter half of the 20th century. The city is decades behind other cities in Scotland. Fingers crossed both these schemes go ahead.

Call me cynical, but I think the market project is just the next 'union terrace gardens'.
They've been trying to do something with 'the green' and the old market for years and this is just the latest piece of PR nonsense to try and deflect from the continuiing deminse of the City centre. 

Best hope for a new stadium by the beach is to keep the press coverage to a minimum until plans are sorted and contracts are signed
The more fancy 3D images that get banded out in the press, the less chance of a project proceeding.....unless its blocks of flats of course

On 07/05/2021 at 11:19, tom_widdows said:

Call me cynical, but I think the market project is just the next 'union terrace gardens'.
They've been trying to do something with 'the green' and the old market for years and this is just the latest piece of PR nonsense to try and deflect from the continuiing deminse of the City centre. 

Best hope for a new stadium by the beach is to keep the press coverage to a minimum until plans are sorted and contracts are signed
The more fancy 3D images that get banded out in the press, the less chance of a project proceeding.....unless its blocks of flats of course

You’re probably right, Tom. It just seems a potential step in the right direction, but given it is ACC it’s doubtful they’ll take it. 

still, I’m hopeful the stadium is a goer, it makes so much sense and would be a true legacy for the chairman (providing we’re not saddled with debt of course).

Given the inevitable demise of retail, they should just bulldoze a portion of the city centre and put the new stadium there. People keep talking about how to save city centres and all anyone seems to be able to come up with is wishy washy stuff about community facilities that nobody can put specifics on. A football stadium (maybe doubling as a venue for live music) is one of the few things that is still going to be able to bring people into the centre.

10 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

Given the inevitable demise of retail, they should just bulldoze a portion of the city centre and put the new stadium there. People keep talking about how to save city centres and all anyone seems to be able to come up with is wishy washy stuff about community facilities that nobody can put specifics on. A football stadium (maybe doubling as a venue for live music) is one of the few things that is still going to be able to bring people into the centre.

That'd be the definition of crazy. The proposed location is less than a mile from the castlegate. They could regenerate that entire walk from Union Street to the beach if they chose to. As always, cars are the biggest barrier to anything in the city centre, whether it be Union Street or the beach. The whole city needs a better design (with retail on the decline as you mention).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

I'm not being serious, however I genuinely think the city centre is going to be a ghost town in future unless something radical gets proposed - e.g. like this.

I don't see the value of a city centre to be honest. I'd prefer the city to be broken into many walkable areas each with its own centre. Every area has a mix of things to satisfy the surrounding community. Take the ego out of architecture and accept that nature does a far more beautiful job than a meaningless building. As we ditch gas heating, dig up roads and plant food growing species instead. Stop segregating humans and nature and design for both and design for human needs rather than economic/consumer needs. All the hand wringing over "the high street" just shows such a lack of imagination and aspiration for humanity. Once I've finished rebuilding the city, I'll start on the 50,000 all seater with retractable roof on rosemount place.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The 23-page proposal which has three options (one of which doesn't include the stadium).

https://committees.aberdeencity.gov.uk/documents/s123822/APPENDIX D - LEISURE STADIUM ver2.pdf

So it's not going to be the site where the Hotel is which was previously mentioned, but instead the cricket pitches.

When I was at school, I can't remember what the project was or why I did it but I invented a new football team from Aberdeen (can't remember the name), who had white home shirts & yellow away shirts, and their stadium was to be on the exact spot these plans are.

Now, fair enough, I've taken my time getting started on making the dream a reality, but the council are kinda pissing on my childhood plans here.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Panda said:

Have the council taken over designing the stadium now? 

Does anyone seriously believe this will happen? I think Kingsford will be plan A again 12 months from now.

Really hope Kingsford is now consigned to the bin where it belongs. 

23 minutes ago, Jute said:

Really hope Kingsford is now consigned to the bin where it belongs. 

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised to see that site planning suspiciously converted to planning for hooses. 

The beach site would be ace, but I'm guessing that if there's common good land involved it will face a lot of objection, more so if the council are to put funding forward. It could take years, which is fine. Then there'll be the ground works that close to the sea. By the time we start, sea level will have risen into the away end, drowning several Huns.

8 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised to see that site planning suspiciously converted to planning for hooses. 

The beach site would be ace, but I'm guessing that if there's common good land involved it will face a lot of objection, more so if the council are to put funding forward. It could take years, which is fine. Then there'll be the ground works that close to the sea. By the time we start, sea level will have risen into the away end, drowning several Huns.

And the draw back with this being? 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Panda said:

Have the council taken over designing the stadium now? 

Does anyone seriously believe this will happen? I think Kingsford will be plan A again 12 months from now.

Yeah I think it will probably will 2bh, got a good feeling about it.  It suits all parties for afc to stay in the city and Its not impacting on any residential areas as best I can tell (I'm not a native). 

16 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised to see that site planning suspiciously converted to planning for hooses

Another win win, pretty sure we know a house builder ?.  You would think the council land is coming cheap/free given they are getting to put their name on a whole new entertainment site.  I mean I can't say that for certain but ACC have a lot to gain from the club being successful with increased footfall into the city. 

10 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Fucking knew this was Stewarty Milne's plan all along, 30 years he's been planning to sell Pittodrie to move to a new stadium and then sell the new stadium to build hooses on the land ?

4 hours ago, Slim said:

Fucking knew this was Stewarty Milne's plan all along, 30 years he's been planning to sell Pittodrie to move to a new stadium and then sell the new stadium to build hooses on the land ?

Well, to be fair, that's exactly what happened at loirston. AFC were effectively used as a stalking horse to open up the surrounding land for hooses. It was impressive.

• 2 months later...

Following the release of Aberdeen City Council’s latest City Centre Masterplan Committee Report published today, Aberdeen FC Chairman, Dave Cormack, said: “We welcome the Council’s progress with their ambitious vision for the city centre and the regeneration of the beachfront which includes an integrated leisure arena with an ice rink and new stadium with community facilities.

“The scale of the vision and the pace at which it’s being taken forward signal the Council’s real ambition for our city, which the Club shares. The revitalisation of the beachfront, with a new stadium as a stunning focal point would, we believe, provide a compelling destination attracting locals and visitors. It is exactly the type of forward thinking which is required as Aberdeen rises to meet the challenges which the city was already facing before the pandemic. It will provide a real stimulus as we embark on the road to recovery from both the pandemic and the shift away from reliance on fossil fuels.

“The report and images released by the Council today demonstrate the “art of the possible” recognising that the project is still at an early stage of development. The Club will work with the Council and its consultants to provide input as they develop a detailed business case and funding plan for the project.”

taken from the club website :

https://www.afc.co.uk/2021/11/05/city-centre-masterplan-committee-report/