Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard about this earlier in the day. Please afc , be open to it. It might be one of the few things the council do right.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/council-aberdeen-fc-dons-stadium-hotel/

edit: not sure how I’ve managed to read it. Was a pain in the arse copying and pasting but full article (not including images as it freaked out on my phone) is below:

Council bosses are in talks with Aberdeen FC in a bid to make them abandon plans for a new stadium at Kingsford and instead relocate to the site of a former city hotel at the beach, the Evening Express can reveal.

Planning permission for the new ground was granted by Aberdeen City Council in 2018, along with a training complex which opened the following year.

However, the Evening Express can now reveal council leaders have launched a bid to convince the Dons to reconsider the move as part of a revised city centre masterplan.

Initial talks have taken place between local authority chiefs and the club over the possibility of the Reds building a new stadium close to Pittodrie as part of a wider scheme to regenerate the area around Aberdeen Beach.

A council source told the Evening Express the site of the former Hilton DoubleTree hotel on Beach Boulevard, which closed last year, is thought to be the best site.

Further discussions are planned, in which city leaders will attempt to convince the club to remain close to its spiritual home.

City centre masterplan lead Marie Boulton said: “Aberdeen Football Club is one of our city’s major assets. My preference would always have been for the council to work with the club to allow it to remain in the city centre.

“As a city, we want to retain as much vibrancy as possible and the club is a key contributor to that.

People come into town and spend their money in local businesses. Matchday is a lifeline for many of the pubs and restaurants in the city.

“It is really important that we do not lose sight of how crucial that is to the city.”

Ms Boulton added: “The area around Pittodrie is the club’s natural and spiritual home. We are used to seeing generations of the same families walking through the city centre to get to the game and we don’t want those to become mere memories.

“We really hope there can be a way forward with this because the club remaining in town would help save the city centre.

“It is early days but there is a real willingness on our part to work with Aberdeen Football Club to find a way that works for everyone.”

It is understood council chiefs would look to relocate businesses in the area, such as extreme sports facility Transition, to other sites if talks are successful.

Local authority officials began exploring the possibility of building a new stadium in the area as early as August last year.

Council co-leader Douglas Lumsden said: “It would be great for Aberdeen if the club was able to remain in the city. A lot of businesses were concerned about the impact of a move out of town.

“The likes of the golf clubs and Pittodrie Bar would have been heavily impacted, as would a lot of places in the city centre.

“It would be a good thing for the city centre as a whole if the stadium was to remain in the beach area.”

Last year Dons chairman Dave Cormack admitted the construction of the new stadium could be set back “years” as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

He estimated the financial impact of the virus and the absence of fans since March would cost the club around £8 million – and warned it would have to stop “haemorrhaging cash”.

Mr Cormack said: “Is it delayed by one, two or three years?

“If you could tell me when crowds are back at Pittodrie, I could give a better estimate.

“But the reality is that project is on the back burner because all of our efforts are on getting through this, but with also being able to invest significantly in the football operation and fan engagement programme.”

A Dons spokeswoman said: “With Pittodrie earmarked for housing, we are a key stakeholder at the beach. During initial conversations, the possibility of the club being involved in the sports and leisure element was discussed. It’s far too early to make any comment on whether or not this would be progressed by either the club or the council.

“We remain committed to a new stadium, sports and community facilities at Kingsford, albeit our plans to progress to the next stage have stalled due to the financial challenges we are facing as a result of the pandemic.”

Unless the land is being offered up for free I don't see what's in it for Aberdeen. Already have planning permission at Kingsford and building at beach will be no cheaper than there.

It's Labour, they have a history of making of cooking up plans that look good on paper but delivering nothing.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Unless the land is being offered up for free I don't see what's in it for Aberdeen. Already have planning permission at Kingsford and building at beach will be no cheaper than there.

Not making the biggest mistake in the history of the club "because it's cheap". Building a location that doesn't involve a transport plan designed for the 20th century. There are lots of things in it for Aberdeen, and its support. 

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Not making the biggest mistake in the history of the club "because it's cheap". Building a location that doesn't involve a transport plan designed for the 20th century. There are lots of things in it for Aberdeen, and its support. 

I think the debate over a city centre v Kingsford location has been done to death, and I'm sure most of us if given the choice would prefer to stay put.

But the club - rightly or wrongly - have always looked at it from a business perspective. They say having two separate sites adds 100s of hundreds a year into the cost, if they have to buy the land that adds more, I'm guessing no feasibility study has been done to determine if the location even works. The club are already struggling to raise £50m for Kingsford - I think they'll need a lot of convincing to consider another location.

If the council are suggesting as part of their city centre plan that they'll help with some costs, ie donate the land, additional costs like re-routing of roads, and maybe there's a promise of no restrictions like there is at Kingsford (height), then maybe the club might be persuaded.

From a fan point of view I'd love this to go ahead. But I think this'll fizzle out and in a few months someone will be posting in this thread to ask if anything ever came of the talks, followed by a Cormack interview saying the club are confident they'll be in Kingsford by 2028, but that's it a big challenge and zzzz.

Does anyone have the gist of the article as its only seems to be for subscribers?

Is the site in question the old doubletree hotel? If so its a non-starter unless they add in the skatepark, playpark, extreme sports building and the grazed area between the beach boulevard and Codonas.

2 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

Does anyone have the gist of the article as its only seems to be for subscribers?

Is the site in question the old doubletree hotel? If so its a non-starter unless they add in the skatepark, playpark, extreme sports building and the grazed area between the beach boulevard and Codonas.

From some of the comments made elsewhere the suggestion is that it is the entire area that is being proposed but not sure if that’s accurate. 

Club should however should at least engage with the Council to see what’s on offer rather than dismiss it out of hand like they have previous sites that were suggested. 

1 hour ago, tom_widdows said:

BBC article here, although missing some of the info in the EE piece.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55766510

The suggestion was that the hotel would be knocked down and that the council would consider relocating businesses to other locations, such as the extreme sports building.

Photo (hopefully attached) of where the EE think it will be.

76B86DC6-525F-45AB-A88A-BF031E0498F7.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Panda said:

BBC article here, although missing some of the info in the EE piece.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55766510

The suggestion was that the hotel would be knocked down and that the council would consider relocating businesses to other locations, such as the extreme sports building.

Photo (hopefully attached) of where the EE think it will be.

76B86DC6-525F-45AB-A88A-BF031E0498F7.jpeg

Still reckon they will need that patch of grass next to codonas as well. 
I wouldnt be surprised if part of the thinking behind this is 'they could use the retail and leisure parks parking facilities that way the stadium wont need them'

The 'beach masterplan' has been on the go so long I wonder if the trams are still in the pipeline. My honours year project was actually 'Aberdeen breach - improve it' but strangely enough not one of us hit upon the idea of sticking a football stadium on that site. Memory is sketchy but I think one of my friends put an 'indoor beach' there (similar to this one in japan)
ocean-dome-1%25255B3%25255D.jpg?imgmax=8

Why would they need to shift transition? Thon cunt hiked up the wa's of the dick Donald no bother. Surely we can incorporate a bit of pished climbing into one of the stands? Could even do a joint climbing/fitba day out, sitting on top of the new Willie arena, looking down (attached by rope of course, health and safety ken?).