Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Formula One

manc_don

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boy blowing up the tyres isn't taking part, no matter what you think.  Neither is the boy who pours the rubber into the moulds, nor the boy harvesting rubber plants.

Well yes, they are taking part, that's why its a "Racing TEAM". If the boy blowing up the tyres on Kimi's car does it better than the guy doing it on Lewis's car, There's more chance that Lewis wins.

Just don't tell me it's anything but a minority sport just because you're sitting in your flat, hungover on a Sunday, watching it for hours on end with your hand down your pants.

Of course, as it gets a prime slot on BBC1, it must just be me watching it ::)

Aye and if I go read 'Horse & Hound' it's going to be inundated with ads for pheasant beaters in and around England.

What's your point?

I was pointing out that all the teams are UK-based, ie. not a minority in the UK, but one of the bigger sports.

In otherwords - A small number of people competing.

20 drivers in F1 out of a world population of how many?

How many people have played for Man Utd this season? 25ish, out of a world population of...yet you'd hardly call them a minority in world sport?

F1 is the very top of a massive motorsport pyramid, and if you think it's a minority sport you are clearly diluded.

So where do you draw the line?

Personally I'd say the racing car driver is competing in the sport.  The team behind him are no more involved in the sport than the guy who tensions Andy Murray's racket.

Good question. I've never really given it much thought. Clearly, the women who cleans the McLaren offices is part of the 'team' but is she really essential?

I guess when it comes to F1, Everyone who designs the car, those who build it, maintain it, the pit crew, the boss, the driver.

It's not a minority sport though ;)

I guess when it comes to F1, Everyone who designs the car, those who build it, maintain it, the pit crew, the boss, the driver.

They're still not sportsmen though are they?

I used to work with a guy who helped design the tail spoiler on the Ferrari car about 7 years ago.  Landed lucky as he had no previous knowledge of that type of thing, he just knew his computer software.  Funnily enough he had a broken leg or ankle after taking a tumble whilst rock climbing.  So I know for a fact he wouldn't claim to have been taking part in any sort of sport at the time.  :P

Surely only sportsmen can claim to be competing once the clock starts ticking?

The others are there to aid him.

That doesn't make it unpopular with the masses though, it just means there's only a minority of people competing.

Ergo, minority sport.  ;)

Surely only sportsmen can claim to be competing once the clock starts ticking?

The others are there to aid him.

But even then, how much of a 'Sportsman' is the guy behind the wheel, all he's really doing is controlling a few computers while sitting in a car, it's hardly the "Higher, Faster, Stronger, Longer, etc.." philosophy behind the olympics?

That doesn't make it unpopular with the masses though, it just means there's only a minority of people competing.

Ergo, minority sport.   ;)

Yes, if we look at the world population it is rather large incomparison to the 22 guys on the grid. But F1 is just one tiny part of a much, much bigger sport. Like I was saying (badly) earlier about Man Utd, There's no bigger sport in the world that Football, there's no bigger club than Man Utd, yet only a handful of guys ever compete for Man Utd, but you'd hardly call them a 'minority' in world sport.

Everybody from Wayne and Darren in Manchester, to you and me if we went out and played in Jager's back garden would be playing football which would make it a pretty major sport.

In my eyes, thats no different to Kimi and Jenson racing round Monte Carlo, to me going to fit a new Air Filter on my Capri and going racing down the Bouley, which would make motorsport a major sport in the UK.

But, that's motorsport not F1 I hear you scream.

Once again if we look at Football, i'd quite happily swap my Friday night 5-a-side team to go play for Man Utd. And in all motorsport it's the same, I'd quite happily trade-in my Capri to go race Ferraris around the world as would anyone involved in Motorsport, Valentino Rossi, despite having won the MotoGP every year since time began, has never hid his desire to move into F1, and it's the same if you look at any BTCC or Rally driver too.

So in summary:

Everyone likes football, but only a few get to compete at the very highest level.

Everyone likes motorsport, but only a few get to compete at the very highest level.

Egro, not a minority sport ;)

But even then, how much of a 'Sportsman' is the guy behind the wheel, all he's really doing is controlling a few computers while sitting in a car, it's hardly the "Higher, Faster, Stronger, Longer, etc.." philosophy behind the olympics?

Of course it is or they'd just stick you in there with a few bob in your hipper rather than paying millions to folk who have worked their way up through motorsports, to the pinnacle of the sport as you put it.

Yes, if we look at the world population it is rather large incomparison to the 22 guys on the grid. But F1 is just one tiny part of a much, much bigger sport. Like I was saying (badly) earlier about Man Utd, There's no bigger sport in the world that Football, there's no bigger club than Man Utd, yet only a handful of guys ever compete for Man Utd, but you'd hardly call them a 'minority' in world sport.

Everybody from Wayne and Darren in Manchester, to you and me if we went out and played in Jager's back garden would be playing football which would make it a pretty major sport.

In my eyes, thats no different to Kimi and Jenson racing round Monte Carlo, to me going to fit a new Air Filter on my Capri and going racing down the Bouley, which would make motorsport a major sport in the UK.

But, that's motorsport not F1 I hear you scream.

Once again if we look at Football, i'd quite happily swap my Friday night 5-a-side team to go play for Man Utd. And in all motorsport it's the same, I'd quite happily trade-in my Capri to go race Ferraris around the world as would anyone involved in Motorsport, Valentino Rossi, despite having won the MotoGP every year since time began, has never hid his desire to move into F1, and it's the same if you look at any BTCC or Rally driver too.

So in summary:

Everyone likes football, but only a few get to compete at the very highest level.

Everyone likes motorsport, but only a few get to compete at the very highest level.

Egro, not a minority sport ;)

Nice attempt but - bollocks!  ;D

Only 20 people compete in the sport called F1.

Man United pay probably hundreds of players per season to play football.  Different age groups, different leagues but they're all playing the same sport.  Football.  Then you've got 20 teams in the top league alone which no doubt pay hundreds of their own players to be professional football players.  Then you've got different leagues, all of which playing football.

Hundreds of thousands of people play football or have done at the highest levels all across the globe.

Only a drop in the ocean have ever driven an F1 car.

Minority sport.

Of course it is or they'd just stick you in there with a few bob in your hipper rather than paying millions to folk who have worked their way up through motorsports, to the pinnacle of the sport as you put it.

Nice attempt but - bollocks!   ;D

Only 20 people compete in the sport called F1.

Man United pay probably hundreds of players per season to play football.  Different age groups, different leagues but they're all playing the same sport.  Football.  Then you've got 20 teams in the top league alone which no doubt pay hundreds of their own players to be professional football players.  Then you've got different leagues, all of which playing football.

Hundreds of thousands of people play football or have done at the highest levels all across the globe.

Only a drop in the ocean have ever driven an F1 car.

Minority sport.

Your analogy isn't the best Mr Tradesman.

Isn't there a progression drivers have to make up to F1?  I seem to remember Lewis Hamilton having to race in Formula 3, GP 2 and other such championships, it's not like you're born ready to get behind the wheel of an F1 car.  Few make it as you've got to be the best, likewise those that play for Barcelona or Man Uited's first team are the best of a much larger group, if you think about it they can essentially cherry-pick the best players from around the world.  They probably have hundreds of kids on their books but only a small percentage make it.  Surely the F1 set-up is the same as a football club having various teams at different age groups?

Football is unique in the respect that all you need to play it is two people, a ball, and some sort of goal, however based on Mr Tradesman's side of the debate two wee children playing headers and volleys in the schoolyard isn't the same as Manchester Utd versus Barcelona in the Champions League Final as it's a different set-up.  So are those children taking part in football?  If the answer is yes, then surely the sme can be said for the many children out racing and aspiring to be the next Schumacher.