Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Kowalski

Sportscene rewind was a decent watch this evening.

Only seen highlights of the featured games on 'Team of the Decade' etc but tonight got to see extended versions which showed the matches weren't as one sided as they seemed in the old videos.

Also didn't know Roy Aitken was sent off in the 1984 cup final.

I was at every one of those games. Great memories.

Looking back now, I think it was belief and self confidence that defined that era. I couldn't remember Hearts having as much of the ball as tonight's highlights suggested during the Yonny Hewitt show. In fact I thought that was the most dominant final of the four. You just knew AFC would win those 4 Scottish Cups, even 83 which was a shit game.

I was at all except the league wins in Edinburgh.

The cup games against the gruesome twosome were, as you would expect, difficult to win.

Scottish football doesn’t allow trophies to leave Glasgow easily.

Roy Aitken was a thug.

The things I saw him getting away with at Parkhead in particular still make me shudder.

I watched the Sportscene programme about Aberdeen and found it excellent, but you have to realise I was only 6 when we first won the league in 1980, so my memories are vague at best of this period.

You guys were lucky to have witnessed first hand how great that team were and a team which we will never see the likes of again. I doubt I will ever see us win the league in the flesh in my lifetime

I remember the 82 cup final being one of the first games of football I ever watched in full and can still feel the anxiety when Rangers took the lead in the game and I have to comment that Rangers looked more dirty back then than they do now, something I never thought possible.

In the 83 cup final I though Sandy Clarke was a dirty bastard for going through Leighton in the first half and also think Aitken deserved to go in the 84 final and would have been great if Doug Bell had got the winner from that cracking shot that came of the post and led to the McGhee winner.

Was as good a 90 minutes of TV as any and my loons couldn't believe how good we were and that we weren't intimidated by the weegies.

Hard to believe after watching that and seeing a young Tattie Cooper involved in them all and is no longer with us.  :(

The Scotland Brazil game from 1974 on BBC Scotland just now is a great watch. Fuck we had some great footballers. Martin Buchan was a class act. Most of my age (including me) describe Willie Miller as the best-ever Don. I saw Buchan often but mostly when I was primary school age. Wonder if I was 5/10 years older if I'd say that Martin was the better footballer? He was silky, intelligent and fast in both foot and mind.

Edit: Kenny Dalglish reminding me in this game of my thoughts about his international career. He never cut the mustard in a Scotland shirt, a major disappointment.

Watched the Brazil Scotland game too and first time I had seen a lot of these players in action.

Decent enough game but neither team took any prisoners but no fannying about by them after the crunching tackles and they could play a bit too.

Bremner got a head on him and it didn't seem to bother him much. A different breed if player back then.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, manc_don said:

What channel is that on? Sounds intriguing 

BBC iPlayer has all five episodes. I've just watched them all. It's the most powerful television I've ever seen. It's such an incredible documentary that I swear it will be syndicated in most countries in the globe.

Without wanting to give any spoilers, the worst aspect for me, the biggest blood-boiling is reserved for Bush and Blair. The best aspect however is that the Iraqi people are beautiful human beings too and the women interviewees, who have suffered more than we can imagine, are stunningly beautiful inside and out. 

7 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

BBC iPlayer has all five episodes. I've just watched them all. It's the most powerful television I've ever seen. It's such an incredible documentary that I swear it will be syndicated in most countries in the globe.

Without wanting to give any spoilers, the worst aspect for me, the biggest blood-boiling is reserved for Bush and Blair. The best aspect however is that the Iraqi people are beautiful human beings too and the women interviewees, who have suffered more than we can imagine, are stunningly beautiful inside and out. 

Cool, will have to hope that it comes out on TV NZ then, they're usually pretty good with getting UK TV.

On 27/07/2020 at 22:12, rocket_scientist said:

Once Upon a Time in Iraq. Caught the third episode (of five) tonight. Now going to watch the others. Staggering production. A must-see for all human beings. 

Kept missing it when it was on normal telly, so just started it last night. That's what the BBC is capable of. They just need to cut out the other 99% and they'd be onto a winner.

2 hours ago, hercule poirot said:

Simon Reeves as he travels round Europe is good. 

So many celebrities are paid to fanny about on trains and cruise boats. Good work if you can get it.

His book is quite good too. Quite a likeable guy, who on first listen I thought I was going to hate, because of some deep seated prejudice of mine, probably.

American History's Biggest Fibs on BBC 2, BBC 4 and Iplayer.

Episode 2 was on BBC 2 last night with the final one supposedly being shown next saturday however a quick scan of certain news outlets has people up in arms over the host Lucy Worsley reading out a historical quote from John Wilks Booth which contained a certain word beginning win 'N', so I wouldn't be surprised if it was pulled.

The revelations Lincoln didn't actually give a fuck about slavery, the celebrated abolition of it actually meant little or nothing changed other than it was no longer called slavery, or that the 13th Amendment which allowed it to carry on is still used by Starbucks and several other big names to get free labour from prisons apparently means fuck all because the BBC didnt bleep out a word attributed to a historial racist murderer.

Reminds me of Billy Connolly's bit about finding out Fred West didn't approve of him because of his use of bad langauge

Edited by tom_widdows

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ I found this quite humorous actually. The paranoid insecurities was worth contemplation too.

Tonight on BBC4, three hour long programmes on Japan. The Art of Japanese Life by Dr James Fox on just now is stunning.

A country I've never been to, it's been on the radar and after these programmes, it's a must. Shinto is the respect of nature, a "religion" without gods, prophets or idolatry. Some Zen teachings I've been borrowing from for many years. Fascinating country on many levels, both the physical and the spirit. 

Edited by rocket_scientist

20 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

^ I found this quite humorous actually. The paranoid insecurities was worth contemplation too.

Tonight on BBC4, three hour long programmes on Japan. The Art of Japanese Life by Dr James Fox on just now is stunning.

A country I've never been to, it's been on the radar and after these programmes, it's a must. Shinto is the respect of nature, a "religion" without gods, prophets or idolatry. Some Zen teachings I've been borrowing from for many years. Fascinating country on many levels, both the physical and the spirit. 

Spent a couple of years in Japan whilst working for Mizuno. Amazing place with such a varied culture. Fantastic skiing as well