Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Kowalski

Just watching Nature's Great Events on BBC1 just now.

The bit when the Humpback whale sweeps in and devours the Herring in one gulp was incredible!  :o

Aye it was superb stuff.  I enjoyed the 10 minute "making of" at the end of each programme.  Must have been quite a shock for the cameraman when the whale came out of nowhere.

Just watching Nature's Great Events on BBC1 just now.

The bit when the Humpback whale sweeps in and devours the Herring in one gulp was incredible!  :o

The day that Sir David Attenborough dies will be a sad day indeed. The BBC's nature programmes are worth the TV license money alone.

I've just watched The Secret Millionaire - it made me cry

Good programme, though some are better than others. A couple that spring to mind, the guy who helped out people in Possil Park, by far the most genuine and generous guy they've had on there, despite giving a blind hun cash for buckie/season ticket at Stybrox for 5 years. And a woman who helped maintain a few community groups in Rochdale. Most of the millionairs (especially one that was in an old mining town near Middlesborough I think?) seem to show great joy and smugness when they tell the folk they are millionaires. Something which the two I mentioned did not do. So, its good programme ;)  :thumbsup:

Good programme, though some are better than others. A couple that spring to mind, the guy who helped out people in Possil Park, by far the most genuine and generous guy they've had on there, despite giving a blind hun cash for buckie/season ticket at Stybrox for 5 years. And a woman who helped maintain a few community groups in Rochdale. Most of the millionairs (especially one that was in an old mining town near Middlesborough I think?) seem to show great joy and smugness when they tell the folk they are millionaires. Something which the two I mentioned did not do. So, its good programme ;)  :thumbsup:

It's the first time I have seen it 

Fucking hate that programme. It just makes people look like heros for walking around a poor area and giving they're loose change to folk. Then they fuck off to they're mansion in the country. Their not doing much to help the community in the long term.

Fucking hate that programme. It just makes people look like heros for walking around a poor area and giving they're loose change to folk. Then they fuck off to they're mansion in the country. Their not doing much to help the community in the long term.

Thats why I mentioned the two above, they are actively involved in the areas and actually help maintain their "investments". Well as far as I could tell anyway, much better than the majority of them which would be where I agree with you.

Thats why I mentioned the two above, they are actively involved in the areas and actually help maintain their "investments". Well as far as I could tell anyway, much better than the majority of them which would be where I agree with you.

Who wouldn't they go home to their mansions though? They've done more than enough really.

I just think that programme makes them look a lot better than what they have done. It also takes away from the hard work of people who have run youth centers etc. and these are the people who do most for these communities not people donating large amounts of money(which is good) but then do nothing more.

Who wouldn't they go home to their mansions though? They've done more than enough really.

I'm not saying its wrong for them to go back to them, as most of them have worked hard and from scratch to get where they are. But I suppose the point Andrew is making is that they don't have a permananent physical presence in the community that they were helping. I keep going on about these two, but they actually hired the people who had started the community programmes (they had a very basic wage to start with but funding was cut etc...). We could start a whole new thread on philanthropy ;) Most people on that programme give 10k max, but these guys, especially the guy in possil park gave about 250k to support one scheme. I know it makes them look good but I think its nice to know acts of kindness still exist, maybe they don't need to be on such a scale, but they exist nonetheless.

I'm not saying its wrong for them to go back to them, as most of them have worked hard and from scratch to get where they are. But I suppose the point Andrew is making is that they don't have a permananent physical presence in the community that they were helping. I keep going on about these two, but they actually hired the people who had started the community programmes (they had a very basic wage to start with but funding was cut etc...). We could start a whole new thread on philanthropy ;) Most people on that programme give 10k max, but these guys, especially the guy in possil park gave about 250k to support one scheme. I know it makes them look good but I think its nice to know acts of kindness still exist, maybe they don't need to be on such a scale, but they exist nonetheless.

It is great that the two you have mentioned have went to such great lengths but i'd like to think the others aren't just doing it to make themselves feel better/look better but actually care about people worse off than themselves.

It is great that the two you have mentioned have went to such great lengths but i'd like to think the others aren't just doing it to make themselves feel better/look better but actually care about people worse off than themselves.

Totally, but it just comes across that way sometimes. Like one guy who donated to an orchestra who needed 15k to survive, so he gave 10? To me that doesn't make sense, considering they were in such a place where they very rarely got much money from fund raising and had a big cut of funding from the council/government who pretty much funded them. As I said, maybe its more the way that the programme is edited to make them look like that.

Totally, but it just comes across that way sometimes. Like one guy who donated to an orchestra who needed 15k to survive, so he gave 10? To me that doesn't make sense, considering they were in such a place where they very rarely got much money from fund raising and had a big cut of funding from the council/government who pretty much funded them. As I said, maybe its more the way that the programme is edited to make them look like that.

That does seem a bit cuntish, but from the few I have watched some of them have said they are going in with a strict budget. Perhaps thats why they're so successful, not letting themselves get carried away with emotional feeling. While looking like cunts, if they hadn't already had this motive then these people wouldn't be getting from this person at all.

Sorry, what i'm trying to say makes sense in my head.