Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

So to answer my question: Fuck all. A huge deal made over nothing. Don't think either player did much wrong.

Didn't quite show you everything but was acting like a total cretin. Not what you expect from a "captain in the Viera mould" as someone from The Guardian recently called him.

How many times have officials been referred to as "black bastards" or "bastards in black"? I've heard it at Pittodrie countless times. Not saying it's a particularly bright thing to shout but it's clearly not racially motivated.

I suppose Suarez didn't do anything to to scream bloody murder about and we can't very well talk about his or Gerrard's excellent performances but at least one silly fan used a term commonly used against officials that could be misconstrued as racism so we can all focus on that. Thank fuck for that.

How many times have officials been referred to as "black bastards" or "bastards in black"? I've heard it at Pittodrie countless times. Not saying it's a particularly bright thing to shout but it's clearly not racially motivated.

I suppose Suarez didn't do anything to to scream bloody murder about and we can't very well talk about his or Gerrard's excellent performances but at least one silly fan used a term commonly used against officials that could be misconstrued as racism so we can all focus on that. Thank fuck for that.

I can honestly say I've never heard someone refer to an official as a "black bastard" and can't even be sure about "bastard in black".

How can you say it's clearly not racially motivated? Unless you shouted it, you will never know.

I can honestly say I've never heard someone refer to an official as a "black bastard" and can't even be sure about "bastard in black".

How can you say it's clearly not racially motivated? Unless you shouted it, you will never know.

I've heard it a lot. And I'm definitely not the only member of this site that has.

The linesman was white. So even a scouser wouldn't racially abuse him by calling him black surely? The contempt was there because he was an official and made a displeasing decision. Not because he was white? Certainly not because he was black.

On the subject of Liverpool...yesterday's Fiver:

So imagine if Jesus performed a second coming and this time when he laid his hands on lepers he inadvertently decapitated them; and while trying to turn water into wine, he turned it into urine; and in attempting to part the Red Sea, he polluted it. Christians would be in a dilly of a pickle - a bit like the one into which Kenny Dalglish has plunged many Liverpool fans. Some putrid performances and proclamations this season have led many of the club's supporters to not so much question their faith in their erstwhile messiah, as to waterboard it.

Since replacing Roy Hodgson - who was hounded out of Anfield partially on the grounds that he "didn't understand Liverpool" - Dalglish has gone from a man who was exalted over two decades ago for his dignified and compassionate handling of the Hillsborough tragedy and its aftermath to a manager who so badly misjudged his handling of this season's Luis Suarez/Patrice Evra affair that it became impossible to listen to him talk about it without covering your nose (until he belatedly apologised and shut up).

He has regressed from a manager who brought glory and style on the pitch to a manager who has made Liverpool Carling Cup champions and very fitting successors to Big Eck's Birmingham City. His most remarkable feats have come in the transfer market, where he has made Hodgson's purchase of Paul Konchesky for £3m look canny in comparison to £9m on Charlie Adam, £20m on Stewart Downing and £35m on Andy Carroll. He has replaced the "This is Anfield" sign, which was once a totem of simple menace, with a cardboard placard with the crayon inscription "Welcome to Anfield, would you like a cup of tea with your point?"

Everton, then, are likely to get at least a share of the points (and red cards) from tonight's Merseyside derby. All three would put them above Liverpool in the table. But as some Liverpool fans get downhearted about the expensively-produced mediocrity on the pitch, the sullying of Liverpool's reputation and the club's complete irrelevance to the Premier League title race or competition for Big Cup places, King Kenny knows what's really important.

"There are many ways you can judge a season and the best way is progress at the football club as a whole," declared Dalglish. "I don't think it necessarily relates to trophies or points. You can measure it by how the club has progressed and where it is, from the first team to the kids. Off the pitch, especially, the club is a lot stronger than what it was. You go off the pitch and see how much money we are getting through sponsorship and kit deals. You look at the academy and see how much better it is. You look around here [at Melwood] and most of the people have got a smile on their faces now. The squad is stronger than it was last year. What other areas are there to improve on - apart from points?"

Points, goals, performances: these are trifles, Liverpool fans, and you shouldn't get too hung up on them when you could instead be crafting flags and chants about sponsorship and kit deals. Come on, Liverpool fans, write those advertising jingles!

Dear oh dear.

Liverpool: a fine club who under Dalglish have sometimes lapsed into the sort of classiness that reminds you that Billy Shankly ended his days watching Everton.

:hammer: