Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Suggestions

Kowalski

I see suggestions are being made that this site shouldn't be linking from afcchat.xx addresses.

Interesting one, would the club not hold the afc chat trademark from the original site?? If not that specifically it would surely own afc and by default variations thereof?

No. The old chat facility on the afc website was not officially called "AFC Chat". There was a button that said "Chat" on the old site. People referred to the official forum as AFC Chat, but there was never any trademark or copyright around the name "AFC Chat".

The guys who set up the unofficial forum "AFC Chat" (ie The Hat) were predominantly ex-chatters from the official site who didn't want to engage with conversations with people from Mad or DT (or Dandydons as we were back then).

They can bleat all they want, but nobody holds the rights to "AFC Chat". We are just having a bit of fun by redirecting anyone who misspells the web address for AFC Chat to come across here. Hey, if they decide to find a variation of Donstalk's web address and play with that, who are we to stop them?

Neither site is a profit-making site (allegedly) or official organisation, so there are no laws that can tell us what and what not to do with each other's web addresses.

I see suggestions are being made that this site shouldn't be linking from afcchat.xx addresses.

Interesting one, would the club not hold the afc chat trademark from the original site?? If not that specifically it would surely own afc and by default variations thereof?

According to LS DT has 7 days to change it*.

*i'm a complete technophobe and have no idea what it is they're actually talking about, but the thinly veiled threat amused me. Someone obviously thinks they're a big man...

I used the old official site around 97/99 and have in my head I used to type in afc chat in msn or whatever search engine was being used at that time, so assumed the url was afc chat or some derivative.

I was aware of the trademarking thing so was just curious as to the legal standpoint.

Does seem doubly ridiculous for afcchat's url is afc-chat, I wonder if www.sougrapes.net is available...

*edit for new post

@bobbybiscuit the posturing did amuse me hence why I asked.

No. The old chat facility on the afc website was not officially called "AFC Chat". There was a button that said "Chat" on the old site. People referred to the official forum as AFC Chat, but there was never any trademark or copyright around the name "AFC Chat".

The guys who set up the unofficial forum "AFC Chat" (ie The Hat) were predominantly ex-chatters from the official site who didn't want to engage with conversations with people from Mad or DT (or Dandydons as we were back then).

They can bleat all they want, but nobody holds the rights to "AFC Chat". We are just having a bit of fun by redirecting anyone who misspells the web address for AFC Chat to come across here. Hey, if they decide to find a variation of Donstalk's web address and play with that, who are we to stop them?

Neither site is a profit-making site (allegedly) or official organisation, so there are no laws that can tell us what and what not to do with each other's web addresses.

How have we done that?

According to LS DT has 7 days to change it*.

*i'm a complete technophobe and have no idea what it is they're actually talking about, but the thinly veiled threat amused me. Someone obviously thinks they're a big man...

Could be interesting seeing what can get done?

- DT being hosted in New Zealand (or it once was anyway)

- The person who registered the domains being in UAE

- And the only anti-cybersquatting law I could find being American

- I'd also imagine that AFC maybe own the trademark to AFC, not AFC-Chat?

I'll just sit back and ride this one out.

If I were McDonalds and they were Burger King, I'd take note of their warning.

However, DT is a non-profit-making fans forum. AFC-Chat is apparently a non-profit-making fans forum. DT has no intention of attempting to sell the domains to AFC-Chat for profit. We're merely taking the piss and have been for about 7 or 8 months now. The fact that they've just noticed it is what's even funnier. But no laws will back their threats up.

If there were laws in place to protect random forums, I would've layed a claim against Dons-Mad years ago for taking stand-free.co.uk because, until about two years ago, I was the legal owner of the domain stand-free.com. But I didn't cos I've got too much respect for those guys on Mad, and I also don't really care about fellow Dons fans having a bit of fun.

Well...

I'm sure AFC-Chat is not a trademark brand name, despite what they like to think.

This website features chat about AFC hence afc-chat.com or whatever is a totally valid URL as is donstalk.co.uk and does not mislead in any way.

What's LS going to do? Call the police? "Someone's is copying my URL! Hello?"

Gay.

Well...

I'm sure AFC-Chat is not a trademark brand name, despite what they like to think.

This website features chat about AFC hence afc-chat.com or whatever is a totally valid URL as is donstalk.co.uk and does not mislead in any way.

What's LS going to do? Call the police? "Someone's is copying my URL! Hello?"

Gay.

Don't you know that he's a rich man and he'll intimidate you with his wealth?