Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scottish football and our teams in Europe

On the way back down to Edinburgh last night I tried to find some reasoning as to why this season is not going to be an almighty disaster for us. As you can imagine I wasn't particularly successful on that score. It did leave me thinking that we are still likely to be challenging for 3/4th spot come April 2010 and that is a damning indictment of the state that Scottish football is in.

Last season we made Europe, largely because nobody else had the strength and depth to mount a challenge. While the levels that Scottish football sinks to can sometimes be lost as everyone drops at a similar rate, European nights can really tell you where you are placed and last night was that rude awakening. Sigma were a very ordinary side who we allowed to mug us by having absolutely no idea what we were supposed to be doing most of the game. The tragic part is that we are almost powerless to do anything about it, such is the state of our game.

Potentially 4 of the 6 sides in Europe will be out before we hit mid-August is further proof that we are letting our position in European football slip to an almost unrecoverable level. We will probably still give Celtic a good game in two weeks, just to confirm that the SPL is dropping into the abyss. Its depressing stuff, it really is.

On the way back down to Edinburgh last night I tried to find some reasoning as to why this season is not going to be an almighty disaster for us. As you can imagine I wasn't particularly successful on that score. It did leave me thinking that we are still likely to be challenging for 3/4th spot come April 2010 and that is a damning indictment of the state that Scottish football is in.

Last season we made Europe, largely because nobody else had the strength and depth to mount a challenge. While the levels that Scottish football sinks to can sometimes be lost as everyone drops at a similar rate, European nights can really tell you where you are placed and last night was that rude awakening. Sigma were a very ordinary side who we allowed to mug us by having absolutely no idea what we were supposed to be doing most of the game. The tragic part is that we are almost powerless to do anything about it, such is the state of our game.

Potentially 4 of the 6 sides in Europe will be out before we hit mid-August is further proof that we are letting our position in European football slip to an almost unrecoverable level. We will probably still give Celtic a good game in two weeks, just to confirm that the SPL is dropping into the abyss. Its depressing stuff, it really is.

I'll bet you a tenner that celtic take 5 off us, comfortably.

Depressingly, I agree with almost every word...

The fast depleting quality of Scottish fitba' overall and the Dons specifically is a sickener...

God bless the free market, Bosman and ridiculous millions in wages for the elite... all leading to the only-slightly-above-average player expecting to earn at least high 5 figures a season... we have no chance when League One (the English third divison ffs!) can comfortably outbid and outpay us for players...

I am away for a lie down before I start tying a noose...

EDIT: But I do agree with El Padre and think that the Hoops will gie us a bit of a spanking. Reckon we might get Fortune's domestic career off to a great start... If any team is gonna make him look like a striker it's us! God, I'm depressed!!!